Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times

Advertisements

Clark County has a very active historical association and Arkadelphia has historical plaques all over the place. A couple weeks ago my archeologist friend was getting photos for a Civil War Power Point presentation so he (with me tagging along) made the rounds looking at several plaques and areas of activity. The attachment is one which is in Arkadelphia, but I'm not sure where because I was just along for the ride. Maybe AllenK will tell us where it is located.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-cw-powder-works.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Clark County has a very active historical association and Arkadelphia has historical plaques all over the place. A couple weeks ago my archeologist friend was getting photos for a Civil War Power Point presentation so he (with me tagging along) made the rounds looking at several plaques and areas of activity. The attachment is one which is in Arkadelphia, but I'm not sure where because I was just along for the ride. Maybe AllenK will tell us where it is located.
LOL,How funny! That marker is literally right around the corner (actually two corners) from my house. Small world!

The marker is right off Millcreek Drive in Arkadelphia. I drive by it at least twice a day,and we walk our Corgi by it also. I showed it to my nephews who used to live in Marshall,Texas. They thought it was pretty cool. If anyone stops and looks at that marker watch out! I call it the Millcreek Expressway. Thankfully we live off of it a street or so. The college kids are gone now so it's better.

There are several of those markers in Arkadelphia scattered around. I'm glad we have them.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
LOL,How funny! That marker is literally right around the corner (actually two corners) from my house. Small world!

The marker is right off Millcreek Drive in Arkadelphia. I drive by it at least twice a day,and we walk our Corgi by it also. I showed it to my nephews who used to live in Marshall,Texas. They thought it was pretty cool. If anyone stops and looks at that marker watch out! I call it the Millcreek Expressway. Thankfully we live off of it a street or so. The college kids are gone now so it's better.

There are several of those markers in Arkadelphia scattered around. I'm glad we have them.
I'll be back with more as I work them in.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,294 times
Help! I am writing from Paris, Texas. Has anyone there ever heard of a hospital called "Newton" in Nashville that was built somewhere near 1950? I am writing for a twin born Febuary 14th of 1950 in that hospital. He and his brother were the first twins born in the "new" hospital and their photo was hung in the hall near the nursery and/or delivery room. He is in bad health and his brother has since died. I would so much like to know what building that photo is in and what name it goes by now. Apparently it isn't a hospital any longer. I wanted to try to find someone to take a closeup shot of the photo since he isn't able to go the distance to do it himself. Moderator cut: email address removed Thanks so much.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-04-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: People will respond via DM. Not wise to post your email address in an internet forum.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 PM

Lonnie, there is a county hospital there (Howard County) so you may get their phone # from the Internet and call them for info, or, you may get the Howard County Judge from the 'net and ask him, or see if he has any contacts who you may talk to. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
While Howard County doesn't have a historical society or club, there is a website maintained by someone interested in the history and geneology of Howard County. You might contact the owner of that website for assistance in tracking down the photograph you are seeking.

Howard County, The Original Arkansas Genealogy Project

Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Go back to Page 38 and Post 378 and read the narrative. This bridge is on the same abandoned RR and is about 2.5 miles east of the trestle and just west of Pike Junction. It is at UTM (NAD-83) 0461823 3766076. Both views are looking east. I would like to see the underside of the bridge to see how it is constructed, but it can only be viewed from the river and I forgot to put my boat in my back pack that day. That day it was 11 meters from the top of the rails to the surface of the water. I forgot to take photos of the river, so will go back, do that, and walk on around to the actual junction and document/photo that too.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7833.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_7830.jpg  

Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Here's another Civil War memorial sign. I first visited the Tate's Bluff Civil War fort in the mid 1960s and was amazed at what great condition it was in. Except for 150+ years of weathering it looked as though they had just that day walked off and left it. When we went back a few weeks ago it was still in that condition. It would be a great site to make into a state park. It is located in the southeast corner of Clark County.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7817.jpg  

Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Here is our other hamburger & sweet tea place, in Antoine Pike County.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7845.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_7846.jpg  

Old 06-23-2011, 03:35 PM

This is Pike Junction where the Pike City Branch (curves to the left) leaves the Womble Branch (straight ahead) and is in Clark County across the Antoine River from Antoine, Pike County. There are also two side-tracks associated with it. The trestle and big bridge I posted recently are on the Pike City Branch and the railroad photos I have posted in the past are of the Womble Branch. In years past this was part of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and the Womble Branch connected with the main branch near Gurdon in Clark County. All this is inactive at this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7842.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_7844.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas