Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 PM

18 posts, read 64,130 times

Advertisements

Nachitoch Bluff Bridge, also known as the Little Missiouri River Bridge in Clark County, Arkansas. This bridge was located on the original US 67 many years ago. It was partially destroyed on the South end of the bridge, the Nevada County side, when an overweight truck caved in the south approach. Often rumored to be restored, but to date no rehabilitation has been done. Unfortunately the pictures do not show the other pass-through truss on the north side, Clark County side, that is hidden in the trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-little-missouri-river-bridge-clark-co.  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Default Nachitochs Bluff Bridge

This photo shows the south end of the bridge, the Nevada County side, after being destroyed by an oversize truck. Both photographs are shown looking down stream looking east. Traffic can be easily heard a short distance downstream on I-30.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-little-missouri-river-bridge-clark-co.  

Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
Default Headstone Inscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
This cemetery is associated with the abandoned church at Post #15. I didn't give the name of the church at that time but it is "Piney Ridge". "Friendship Circle #363" on the tombstone is a fraternal organization for African-American women, but I can not find any details about it. We often do find this type tombstone in their cemeteries. It could be a branch of "Mosaic Templars" that sold health, death, and burial insurance to the black community. The burial insurance included a tombstone. There were different styles of stones but they all had the logo on the top or front.
Note that the headstone indicates that the deceased person was a member of a group originally formed in Kentucky and that had chapters in Arkansas. The letters UBF are on the stone, which reflect the United Brothers of Friendship. The women's group affiliated was known as the Sisters of the Mysterious Ten. They were a benevolent society and yes, a headstone was one of their benefits, like the Mosaic Templars. There were several chapters in Arkansas of this organization.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Houp View Post
This photo shows the south end of the bridge, the Nevada County side, after being destroyed by an oversize truck. Both photographs are shown looking down stream looking east. Traffic can be easily heard a short distance downstream on I-30.
There are bridges just like that at Moon Valley and Dobeyville in Clark County also. I've only been the one at the county line once in my lifetime though. The other two make me nervous to cross,but they're extremely cool old bridges!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanx! I've hit all the bridges I know of in Clark County; still lookin' for more. Heading to Desha County over in eastern Arkansas to tromp thru' the swamp there. Son will be home from the Navy for Christmas. We're heading to Hole-In-The-Wall Lake, just south of Snow Lake. There is only one road in and one way out! No heat, no bugs, no snakes!!! Photos to follow.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
For the past month I have been "hiding" from deer hunters and haven't been out. I'm not afraid of getting shot, but I am afraid of those crazy drivers on those narrow one track back roads I usually drive.

This is the same cemetery (Barton Cemetery) I posted last month on Page 47 and Posts 461 and 462. I went back yesterday to get a GPS location and some more photos. I wrote earlier there are four tombstones leaning against the tree, but there are only three. The fourth turns out to be a large foot stone. In one of these photos you can see the trees in the cemetery left by the loggers when they clear-cut the tract, and the other is the third tombstone. This one is hard to read but it is; SUSAN A. BARTON - BORN JULY 29, 1811 - DIED FEB 11, 1886. At the top of the stone is an "open book" in an oval. There are three good unmarked grave depressions from which these tombstones probably were taken from, and three more shallow. It is in Clark County and it's GPS location is; UTM (NAD-83) 0466521 3770536
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7953.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_7956.jpg  

Old 12-31-2011, 01:25 PM

Default Little Missiouri Railroad Bridge

This railroad bridge is located on the Navada and Clark County lines about 3 miles northeast of Boughton, ARK. Photos taken on the Navada County side on January 10, 2009. First photo taken looking north. Second photo, Randall Houp trying to hitch a ride on the Union Pacific!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-little-missouri-rr-bridge-boughton-ark.   Exploring Arkansas-little-missouri-rr-bridge-boughton-ark.  

Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Houp View Post
Second photo, Randall Houp trying to hitch a ride on the Union Pacific!!!
From the scattering of bullet holes, that might not be the best place to wait!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
This is a railroad right-of-way cut through the side of a hill, looking east into a deer camp. The RR was the Memphis, Dallas, and Gulf and ran from Shawmut in east Pike County to Murfreesboro in central Pike County in the early 1900s. The deer camp is located where the community of Elk was located from the mid 1800s to about 1930. Elk had a post office from 1893 to 1907. The UTM (NAD-83) is 0452483 3780712.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7963.jpg  

Old 01-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Default Memphis, Dallas & Gulf RR

Arkansas Slim: Appreciate photo of Elk, Ark and especially the post- office data. When they closed the post-office at Elk in 1907, answers why they opened the post-office in Shawmut, Ark. in 1907. The post office at Shawmut was located next to the Gurdon & Fort Smith Railroad and was operated by Art Story, founder of Shawmut until he died in 1909. THANX!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas