Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,164 times

Advertisements

Graysonia. It seems I can't get away from that place This is only one face of the sawmill. It is so massive, and so many trees, there is no way to get a good photo of it so will have to do it in parts and pieces. This face is about three stories high, and the rest of it is two and three. It all is poured concrete and there is no telling how many cubic yards was used. There is a pair of huge Turkey Vultures nesting in the ruins, and they didn't like our being there.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_8003.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 PM

This cabin isn't in Graysonia, but on the road to it. The last man to live here was a known bootlegger and suspected moonshiner. The surrounding forest belonged to International Paper Company and one day some I.P. workers came by and told the man they were going to do a controlled burn near by and wanted to alert him so he wouldn't think it was a wild fire. He asked "where" and when they told him he asked them to hold off for 30 minutes, and took off. Later he came back with a gunny sack of fruit jars

A personal side-bar; In 1860 my great great grandfather made a GLO cash purchase of 300+ acres in this area which included this cabin site. The things laying in front are two tree deer stands.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_8014.jpg  

Last edited by ArkansasSlim; 04-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Add a point

Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
This cabin isn't in Graysonia, but on the road to it. The last man to live here was a known bootlegger and suspected moonshiner. The surrounding forest belonged to International Paper Company and one day some I.P. workers came by and told the man they were going to do a controlled burn near by and wanted to alert him so he wouldn't think it was a wild fire. He asked "where" and when they told him he asked them to hold off for 30 minutes, and took off. Later he came back with a gunny sack of fruit jars

A personal side-bar; In 1860 my great great grandfather made a GLO cash purchase of 300+ acres in this area which included this cabin site. The things laying in front are two tree deer stands.
Can we take from this that bootlegging wasn't as lucrative in Arkansas as it was in Chicago or Atlantic City?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Can we take from this that bootlegging wasn't as lucrative in Arkansas as it was in Chicago or Atlantic City?
It would appear that way when comparing homes. Of course we didn't have as big a "mark-up" or volume. And to get to this cabin you had to be going to it and not be just "in the neighborhood". Oh well, he had a roof over his head and his product put on the table what little food he had to buy.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Graysonia - another wall of the sawmill. See the pipes coming through the wall in the upper right? I'd sure like to know what they were used for.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_8004.jpg  

Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 PM

Graysonia - This is the other side of the lumber kiln I posted a few weeks ago. This tree growing from the inside of the kiln is about 30 inches in diameter, and note the limb growing across the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_8006.jpg  

Old 04-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Graysonia - For those of you who have found my Graysonia posts interesting, the Clark County Historical Association is setting up a display of great Graysonia photos in their museum in the Arkadelphia railroad depot. They have taken picture postcards and had them "super enlarged" with little loss of detail. I went down there Thursday and it is great and worth a trip. They are open Wednesday thru Saturday 10 A.M - 4 P.M.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,044 times
Default Clark Co Historical Museum Days Opened

Correction on Arkansas Slims info concerning the hours the Clark County Historical Museum is open, in Arkadelphia. Wed-Fri 10-3pm & Sat 10-12:00pm.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseale View Post
Correction on Arkansas Slims info concerning the hours the Clark County Historical Museum is open, in Arkadelphia. Wed-Fri 10-3pm & Sat 10-12:00pm.
Well, I was close I'm just tryn to get people to go look, and I'll be back Friday. If you are there, just watch for a "skin head" to walk in

Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM

11 posts, read 21,075 times
ArkansasSlim - I enjoy your postings and pics of area travel and hunting about. dseale is my cousin, who works at the museum, and was appreciative of your posting. She also sent me this FB site, involving Graysonia, which you may find interesting, if you don't already know about it.
[SIZE=3]//www.city-data.com/forum/arkansas/878079-exploring-arkansas-53.html[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas