Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 03:06 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Scroll back up to #719 where I posted a photo and thought it was a tunnel that my archeologist buddy had photographed. Wellll, he and I were out today looking for a Civil War camp ground and he said the hole was a vertical shaft and even with the flash of his camera he couldn't see the bottom of it. Sor' 'bout the wrong info presented with the photo. Shows, once again, I shouldn't comment on something I don't know about .

We didn't find any artifacts at the probable campground but did find pre-Civil War broken dishes (small pieces) that told us there had been a house there during that time. We could date the artifacts by the glaze, and decorations on them. We feel confident, after reading archival documents, that we were in the right place for the campground, but it was only an overnighter so it isn't likely they would have left much behind. Oh, this was in central Clark County where the Military Road was located at that time and today's Arkansas Highway 26 closely follows it.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:38 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Has anybody ever heard of or, better yet, been to the ghost town of Graysonia? It is/was located in rural Clark County and is very closed off from the rest of...everything. To get to it you have to drive down loooong twisty turny dirt roads...which turn into twisty turny overgrown 4 wheeler trails...which turn into twisty turny footpaths...which then disappear and become complete overgrown, and when that happens you see the huuuuuge mill building looming ominously in the trees. It was awesome. No cell phone reception whatsoever.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Has anybody ever heard of or, better yet, been to the ghost town of Graysonia? It is/was located in rural Clark County and is very closed off from the rest of...everything. To get to it you have to drive down loooong twisty turny dirt roads...which turn into twisty turny overgrown 4 wheeler trails...which turn into twisty turny footpaths...which then disappear and become complete overgrown, and when that happens you see the huuuuuge mill building looming ominously in the trees. It was awesome. No cell phone reception whatsoever.
I haven't been there since last November ! Yes, I have been there many, many times since I first visited about 1970. I was in the neighborhood this past Saturday but didn't have time to go down there. Here on this Thread Arkansas Slim and I have posted many photos and comments about it. We have GPS located and photographed all of the ruins and had planned to map the whole 40+ acres mill site this past winter but higher priorities kept cropping up. The railroad through town had been abandoned for several years and they took up the rails last year. There was a retort located there when the cinnabar mines first opened up in the early 1930 and one of our objectives for last winter was to locate it. I have old photos of it and many of the other structures. I have located the sites of the white residential areas and the black residential area. Most of the white area has been covered with pine plantations, except one area and the black area are undisturbed. I have been pushing to get the archeologists to apply for a grant to do an archeology dig in the two undisturbed areas to compare quality of life between the two, but that too has gone by the way-side.

A common comment when we end the day on one of our treks and have more questions than answers is; "so much to do, so little time". Oh, and I have a panorama photo of the whole mill area west of the main railroad.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
I haven't been there since last November ! Yes, I have been there many, many times since I first visited about 1970. I was in the neighborhood this past Saturday but didn't have time to go down there. Here on this Thread Arkansas Slim and I have posted many photos and comments about it. We have GPS located and photographed all of the ruins and had planned to map the whole 40+ acres mill site this past winter but higher priorities kept cropping up. The railroad through town had been abandoned for several years and they took up the rails last year. There was a retort located there when the cinnabar mines first opened up in the early 1930 and one of our objectives for last winter was to locate it. I have old photos of it and many of the other structures. I have located the sites of the white residential areas and the black residential area. Most of the white area has been covered with pine plantations, except one area and the black area are undisturbed. I have been pushing to get the archeologists to apply for a grant to do an archeology dig in the two undisturbed areas to compare quality of life between the two, but that too has gone by the way-side.

A common comment when we end the day on one of our treks and have more questions than answers is; "so much to do, so little time". Oh, and I have a panorama photo of the whole mill area west of the main railroad.
That's awesome, I am thrilled to hear that someone else even knows about it, much less has been there! I am going to search this thread for the pictures. I was only able to take a few because when we arrived it was getting dark and we didn't want to get lost in the woods. In fact, funny enough exactly 3 years ago today we went 5/21/11 I remember this because the next day I rode up to Joplin MO and we all know what happened there. We didn't get to see too much, just that large main mill building with the tree growing inside of it, and a bunch of foundation type things. Didn't get to see the railroad. I always wanted to go back, but unfortunately moved to NC 4 months later I am visiting AR in June and thinking of going back. Now last time I went I noticed a deer camp there off one of the roads a bit closer to AR8, anyone know if that camp has a name or anything?

HAHAHA WOW Lordhelmit some reading would do me good, it is too funny that the post 3 posts above my OP was talking about Graysonia. That's awesome.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That's awesome, I am thrilled to hear that someone else even knows about it, much less has been there! I am going to search this thread for the pictures. I was only able to take a few because when we arrived it was getting dark and we didn't want to get lost in the woods. In fact, funny enough exactly 3 years ago today we went 5/21/11 I remember this because the next day I rode up to Joplin MO and we all know what happened there. We didn't get to see too much, just that large main mill building with the tree growing inside of it, and a bunch of foundation type things. Didn't get to see the railroad. I always wanted to go back, but unfortunately moved to NC 4 months later I am visiting AR in June and thinking of going back. Now last time I went I noticed a deer camp there off one of the roads a bit closer to AR8, anyone know if that camp has a name or anything?

HAHAHA WOW Lordhelmit some reading would do me good, it is too funny that the post 3 posts above my OP was talking about Graysonia. That's awesome.
LordHelmit, I'm sending you a DM.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:

I know the deer camps but don't know their names. The one where you drive up a hill, around a curve, cabins are on your right and a huge oak tree and abandoned cabin on your left is at the former town site of Leard which was an active community in the early 1900s. My great great grandpa W.N. Trout made a cash purchase of 300 acres along that ridge in 1850.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 PM

If you "Google" Graysonia Clark County Arkansas you will find lots of info. You will also find that some people have depended on their GPS Navigators to find it and weren't even close. The post which showed the locked gate and Keep Out sign was nearly two miles from the town site, and trying to go the wrong direction. You gotta know where you are going. The first time I was in there after the area was clear-cut taking out my land-marks, I turned down a wrong road and it took me about half a mile to realized what had happened.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I know the deer camps but don't know their names. The one where you drive up a hill, around a curve, cabins are on your right and a huge oak tree and abandoned cabin on your left is at the former town site of Leard which was an active community in the early 1900s. My great great grandpa W.N. Trout made a cash purchase of 300 acres along that ridge in 1850.
That's the one I was talking about yeah, around a curve and it's on your right. About maybe a dozen buildings. I think I saw the abandoned cabin. I have a few pictures I will try to post.

Quote:
If you "Google" Graysonia Clark County Arkansas you will find lots of info. You will also find that some people have depended on their GPS Navigators to find it and weren't even close. The post which showed the locked gate and Keep Out sign was nearly two miles from the town site, and trying to go the wrong direction. You gotta know where you are going. The first time I was in there after the area was clear-cut taking out my land-marks, I turned down a wrong road and it took me about half a mile to realized what had happened.
Yep! GPS won't do it. That's what I tried the first time, brought me to a big dirt pit with no roads. So I went home and printed off a bunch of maps, brought some friends and we made it. Too bad it was getting dark when we found it. We had walked away from the car and didn't want to get lost because as you know we were DEEP in them woods man haha. The pictures are terrible. Years old with a cell phone camera, and apparently I couldn;t stand still. I know I took more, but I don't even know where that phone is anymore

Here is the picture of the main mill building.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:30 PM

Yep, I recognize those buildings. The very dark photo is of the lumber dry kiln. The sawmill ruins are deeper in the woods, and yes, it's easy to get lost in there, especially on a cloudy day because all the trees look the same and there are no elevated landforms for landmarks. As many times as I have been in there I have gotten confused a couple of times. I took a friend in to show him the area and when we started out he (not me ) realized we were going away from the parked truck! A couple years ago a storm blew through there and now there are trees across the road in many places. At one time you could drive all the way around the mill site, but not now.

So, if that ruins you photographed is all you saw, you saw only a small portion of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas