Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 07:52 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,442 times

Advertisements

Back in the past, Arkansas Slim posted some photos and comments about an archeology contract we had with the Ouachita National Forest to GPS locate, photograph, and document old abandoned mines on the ONF. Here is a photo I dug out that I don't think was posted. It is an old slate quarry pit that is filled with water that we measured to be over 20 feet deep, but have no idea of how much deeper. In the left corner out of the photo is what looked like a cave under the water. I suspect it was an under-cut where the quarrying followed the slate. We named all the sites we documented and this one we named "The Screaming Frog Site" because as we were working, a copperhead came out from under a pile of slate about five feet from us, grabbed a frog and went back under the slate. The frog screamed for a few minutes then slowly faded away.

Some of the natives told us they would like to drain the pit to see what was in it because they knew there were several stolen cars there, and no telling what else. But of course that will never happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 10:41 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
That's a cool picture, Slim. It seems that quarry lakes (especially in Arkansas) always have pretty, clear water in them.

There is an old quarry site (or maybe they're still going, I don't know) between Petit Jean Mountain and Dardanelle on Hwy 154, right before the Hwy. 7 junction. There are 3 ponds, but the largest of them is right up next to the road. It is on private land. It has rock all around the rim and a little "island" of rock in the middle of it. The water is very pretty and clean-looking. I've always enjoyed seeing that little lake, and imagined having something like that on my land in Arkansas that I'm going to have someday. LOL

Our old cabin neighbor has an area on his land that could be quarried, and actually had someone ask if they could. He decided not to do it....I guess 'cause he had cattle on the land and didn't want to mess that up. He also mentioned something about them tearing up the road to his place, although they said they would fix it after they were through. It was in a beautiful spot and would have left an absolutely lovely "lake".

I need to mention that to him next time I talk to him...he's had a bad turn with his health and is not able to keep many cows any more, so maybe he should rethink that and make some money off of that rock!

Old 06-04-2014, 03:40 PM

For the past few years a man has contacted my archeologist buddy wanting to show him a cemetery. I thought it was a "lost/abandoned" cemetery like we have been recording for the past several years. We finally got a day when we all could meet, and did. The man lead us to the cemetery and when we got there we found it was an old well maintained pioneer cemetery that is still in use and some of the local old time families are nearing their end time and would like to be buried there but it is so old with many unmarked areas they are afraid if they dig a grave they will disturb an old one. My buddy knew this but had not thought to tell me about it, but the man wanted our opinion about the possibility if the cemetery being full with no spaces remaining. After walking over the place we think the cemetery is full but told the man the only way to be sure is to get it electronically surveyed. They are now checking into the possibility of getting a Heritage grant to do that.

It's large for a country cemetery; about 150 X 300 feet. There were only a couple dozen tombstones but several rock markers. Attached are photos of a couple of the more interesting tombstones. The cemetery is on the west side of Lake De Gray, in Clark County.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0686.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0690.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 06-04-2014 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: more clear info

Old 06-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Well I have been kinda quite and out of sight for the past couple of weeks but got out again today to visit an archeology job on the Ouachita National Forest west of Mt Ida, Montgomery County. They have been working there off-and-on for a couple of years and more they do more amazing it gets. This week they uncovered a "mussel shell miden" which means they found mussel shells in the Indians garbage pile/pit. I have been doing archeology work on the ONF since 1993 and this is the first of these I have seen. The Indians, obviously, ate the muussel and threw the shells into the garbage, but they also would burn the shells, crush them, then use them as temper in their pottery. They have not dated the miden but I suspect it will be 3 or 4,000 years old. They have also found some spear points that may date to 6 or 8,000 years. Quite a place and they have only "scratched the surface".
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0712.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0714.jpg  

Old 06-24-2014, 02:32 PM

The former Oden Ranger Station and Workshop of the Ouachita National Forest was utilized for the lab associated with the above posted archeology dig. The ORS is a mile or so west of the community of Oden on Arkansas Highway 88. Oden has an interesting history and was a "booming" farming community until the 1930s with several retail stores, bank, post office, school, and even a hotel. There is little left of the community at this time.

The first settlers came about 1849, the post office was established in 1882, and the community was incorporated in 1929. These stats are from Encyclopedia Arkansas. Attached is a photo of one of the remaining store buildings.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0717.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 06-24-2014 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Give credit.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,830 times
Let me know...what are some great Fall/Winter hikes? During the Spring and early Summer, my hikes focus on Water features, obviously because that's the peak time for waterfalls. Late Summer is my off time, then during the Fall and Winter, I typically go on hikes with great views of the "mountains" and valleys, unless we have a very heavy rainstorms, which works out GREAT because the bushwacking "trails" aren't as overcrowded with tick covered leaves and trees. Examples of trails that I'm looking for are Pedestal Rock and The Goat Trail.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM

bkern, we have some great hiking trails in the Ouachita Mountains (my world) but not with water features as you are seeing in the Ozarks. In fact, sitting here typing this, I cannot think of a single water fall in the Ouachita's. There is the Little Missouri Falls, which is a popular tourist destination, but it is not an Ozark type falls, but the hiking trails have great mountain views.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
bkern, we have some great hiking trails in the Ouachita Mountains (my world) but not with water features as you are seeing in the Ozarks. In fact, sitting here typing this, I cannot think of a single water fall in the Ouachita's. There is the Little Missouri Falls, which is a popular tourist destination, but it is not an Ozark type falls, but the hiking trails have great mountain views.
Yeah, I'm more looking for trails near the Buffalo River and Boston Mountains since that's where I'm closest to. I do plan on making at least one trip to the Ouachita Mountains simply because of the Cossatot River State Park. According to Tim Ernsts waterfall guidebook, there are actually a few falls in the Ouachita Mountains. Definitely not a lot at all though.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
We went to the falls at Lake Catherine State Park this spring (Falls Creek Falls). It's a pretty good one....not as high (12') and dramatic as Hemmed-In Hollow or Cedar Falls at Petit Jean, but pretty nevertheless (don't guess I've ever seen an ugly waterfall.... ). And the trail was interesting also....it goes along the lake part of the way, and the beginning of it (on the other end from the falls) follows a pretty creek for a good ways.

bkern, just keep using Tim's waterfall book and you'll find whatever there is to be found....if he hasn't found them, they're not there. LOL

Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM

I haven't been able to dig at an archeology site for several years so when I visited the dig last week I got to remembering some things from "the good old days". Most diggers kneel while digging but some times, depending on the situation, you have to lay on your belly outside the unit and reach down to dig. So, one of the first things you learn is to eat a light lunch and not drink carbonated drinks because using those positions the foam will come out your nose. Kinda hard to breathe around that foam. Some comfort items I've seen and used are big floppy hats (although on the National Forest you are required to wear hard-hats), cool collars/head bands, and I have even seen battery operated fans. All this is for summer digs. Winter digs are a whole 'nuther story. But last week I saw something I had never seen before. One of the guys had a pocket hammock and as soon as he finished his lunch he strung the hammock in a shade and sacked out. Now why had I never thought of that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas