Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 06:14 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
I read in today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette newspaper that they have estimated there is almost $300,000 in physical damage.
Very sad for the families who have loved ones buried there. Why would anyone purposely do such a thing. Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 08:30 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,442 times
Quote:
Montgomery County - Here is a small cemetery I was shown several years ago but never took any photos, so in November I decided to go do that and found it was not listed on any maps I had at that time, but is well maintained. That got my curiosity up so I started digging. I got the latest available topo map and find it is listed on it as the Ellis Cemetery. As I continued to dig I find lots of wonderful associated history and will file an archeology report on it with the recommendation that it be placed on the National Register. Now I gotta get back over there, map it, and get my paperwork done.

It is west of Black Springs, at the intersection of Arkansas Highway 8 and North Polk Creek [county] Road/Forest Service Road 73. Here are introductory photos but there will be more later.

Today I went back to map this cemetery and take one specific photo. A perfect day for it. In my research after the above Post I found that John Scott acquired 160 acres on which this cemetery is located, with a United States Warrant for his military service in the Alabama Volunteers during the Florida War. "Florida War" was officially known as the Second Seminole War during 1835-1842. He acquired the property in 1854. His wife died in 1858 and was the first buried here, so I suspect as often happened back then, a family burial place evolved into a community cemetery. The cemetery is well maintained and still being used. In fact, it was given a "final touch-up" a couple days ago getting it ready for Mother's Day.

The photo of "Sam's Leg" is unusual. The only other similar marker I have ever seen was in a cemetery near Gatliff Kentucky and it was only the profile of a whole leg, with no data. Anyway, Sam's Leg belonged to Sam Swindle, 1910-1973. Oral history implies his family had a genetic problem with their feet and/or legs and Sam chose to have his amputated. Sam is also buried in this cemetery but I ran out of time before I found his grave.

Oh! I messed up in my original Post above. I Posted that the topo map listed it as the "Ellis Cemetery" but it is listed as the Scott Cemetery. My train/brain jumped the track. Gee
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0522.jpg  

Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,691 times
Scott Cemetery is kinda 'my front yard'. I am from New Orleans and have lived next or near NoLA's above ground tombs. I am thrilled to know more about the history of Scott Cemetery. And, I did so enjoy a chat with the 'Old Fossil'.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannettefuselier View Post
Scott Cemetery is kinda 'my front yard'. I am from New Orleans and have lived next or near NoLA's above ground tombs. I am thrilled to know more about the history of Scott Cemetery. And, I did so enjoy a chat with the 'Old Fossil'.

I enjoyed my visit with you and your husband. Y'all gave me some missing info about the cemetery. Thanks. I will send you copies of the info we talked about.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:23 PM

Nathan, west Pike County - My archeologist friend and I were out and about yesterday and it was a perfect day for our type photos; cloudy/overcast, no sharp shadows as with sunshine. We had two objectives. He had been asked to look at an abandoned cemetery that was being damaged but was not told what kind of damage or how extensive. The other was some "grooved rocks" he had been told about, in the vicinity of the cemetery. The Indians would find a large sandstone rock, or an outcrop, and use them to sharpen/smooth their stone axes and the process would leave grooves in the rock.

When we got to the rock location the property was posted so we will have to find the owner and get permission to go in. Seeing the thickets from the road, it will be better to search in the winter anyway.

The cemetery is in a cow pasture and cows can destroy grave markers in no time by rubbing on them or by bedding down by them and knocking them over. The cemetery had a couple or three dozen grave markers and I didn't see a single one that wasn't broker or knocked over. The attached photos show only a small portion of the cemetery. It extends farther left, and above left. It's probably at least 50/75 meters square. More photos will follow.

On the trip we also saw an early 1900s/late 1800s house in "downtown" Nathan, found a small cemetery we didn't know about, and a railroad cut through the hill where the damaged cemetery is located. We haven't yet found the to/from of the RR. More photos to follow.

Oh - we had a great, late, lunch at Pinkies Café in Delight. In the past we always ate at Mom's Diner but it is now closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0574.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0576.jpg  

Old 05-26-2016, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,691 times
Quote:
I enjoyed my visit with you and your husband. Y'all gave me some missing info about the cemetery. Thanks. I will send you copies of the info we talked about.

Thank you!!! I am looking forward to gettting this! I do so cherish that partof the planet.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:05 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
On the trip we also saw an early 1900s/late 1800s house in "downtown" Nathan,
Was it this one?

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1048...7i13312!8i6656

Old 05-28-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

Yep, I'll post it later. You really work that Google Earth, don't you Luvv?

Old 05-28-2016, 04:19 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Yep, I'll post it later. You really work that Google Earth, don't you Luvv?
It's the only way I can afford to wander as much as I'd like.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 PM

Nathan, west Pike County - I found a contact who knows all about the damaged cemetery because she has ancestors there. She said it was the Ione Cemetery. She also said this (damaged knocked over) tombstone is an ancestor of Governor Asa Hutchinson and the cemetery has over a dozen of his ancestors buried there. She said she had written Governor Hutchinson about the condition of the cemetery but got no response. She has also written several groups who clean up such cemeteries as a public service, but got no response from any of them. It's a sad situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0563.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas