Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM

28 posts, read 80,970 times

Advertisements

I am a doctor with a young family and I am considering an offer in Hot Springs. Can someone give me some info on the area school systems? We are really concerned about our kids getting a good education. Also, my wife is particularly interested in the shopping. How is the upscale real estate? We didn't see any particularly new homes on real estate.com. I guess I need a bunch of insider info on the area to consider it. HELP!!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,338,915 times
I moved here a month ago to also pursue a new career. My info is limited, but this is what I can offer:

Schools: Lake Hamilton is the #1 school district in the state. It is about 5 miles west of Hot Springs, and your children can go there even if you live outside the district (you will need to provide transportation outside the district though)

YouTube - Lake Hamilton School of Champions Med2

Shopping: There are about as many shopping centers in a city this size as you would expect, maybe a little more. It seems that most people do the real shopping in Little Rock. I think it is about a 40 minute drive from Hot Springs.

Real Estate: Not sure on that one. I had three days to move so I just got a six-month lease on an apartment for now. I live on the south side of the city by the lake and it seems like a nice area.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,342,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzy1967 View Post
I am a doctor with a young family and I am considering an offer in Hot Springs. Can someone give me some info on the area school systems? We are really concerned about our kids getting a good education. Also, my wife is particularly interested in the shopping. How is the upscale real estate? We didn't see any particularly new homes on real estate.com. I guess I need a bunch of insider info on the area to consider it. HELP!!!! Thanks
I don't live in H.S. but work there and have friends there. I agree with everything Dr. Foosball wrote. Lake Hamilton Schools has a great reputation all over the state. I have a friend who worked for a contractor who built upscale homes in the Red Oaks and Roberts Ridge developments, and I suspect some of those are now for sale. The contractor's name and phone number is Dale Justus at 501-525-6939. He may be a good point of contact for finding out what's available, or at least giving you other points of contact. Also, I would think your future colleagues and the hospital administrators could give you some contacts. Several years ago I had a radiologist friend who moved to H.S. after completing his residency and he bought one of the restored "Victorian" homes. He and his family were really happy with it. I know you are at a "scary" point in your career and I hope the best for you and your family.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,342,061 times
Default Considering move to Hot Springs

Since my other post I have tried to remember where the Victorian home was located and now I'm pretty sure it was on Prospect Avenue or Quapaw Avenue.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:29 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,065,191 times
The "high end" housing is going to be by the track. Or in the historical district. There is also some high end housing in the Lake Hamilton school district. There are also some housing developments by the golf course and National Park Medical Center that might meet your requirements. If your kids are great at Math and Science, there is a dedicated school for that (downtown Hot Springs), here is the link: ASMSA main There are also several magnet schools which have good reputations.

As far as shopping the high end stuff will be downtown in the boutiques or Dillard's in the mall.

Welcome to Hot Springs! I just get here in October and my only regret is not getting here sooner.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
If your kids are great at Math and Science, there is a dedicated school for that (downtown Hot Springs), here is the link: ASMSA main There are also several magnet schools which have good reputations.
When she says, "great," she means somewhere around the top 1% in the state. This is a school that is controlled by the University of Arkansas and all students are required to live on campus. You could see them on the afternoons and weekends though. It is only for 11th and 12th grades

Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,626 times
I don't live in the Hot Springs area but I did visit in February with moving to Arkansas in mind. I liked the gated Hot Springs Village development east of Hot Springs, AR. This is a beautiful development with many lakes and golf courses. Can you believe it, golf costs $12 per round in Hot Springs Village (Wow!). Not only did I investigate the Hot Springs area, I also drove in a large circuit around the state going to Fayetteville (NE), Mountain Home (N. Central), Mountain View (N. Central), Greers Ferry area, Little Rock, and finally down to Bismark and the DeGray Lake area. What I found where people so friendly that it was hard to fathom, roads that are beautifully maintained (with no trash on the road sides), lakes and parks with no entrance fees nor boat launch fees, and spectacular beautyevery where. I am moving there as soon as I sell my home here in San Jose, CA. Can't wait to get my fishing pole ready for the excellent fishing opportunities that abound and breathe the good clean air of the Nature State.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,626 times
OOps...Fayetteville is located in the North West corner of Arkansas not in the NE as I indicated. My bad.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,065,191 times
Outside of the fact that HSV (Hot Springs Village) is about 15 miles out of town, it's also somewhat remote. Also that gated thing isn't as secure as a gated community in L.A. would be. All you have to do is say you are going to the bank to be waved through or simply drive in the resident lane. They don't check during the day.

If you want to do EVERYTHING at Wal-Mart (10 min drive) or drive all the way into town, it's okay. Unfortunately, it's in the Jessieville school district. Jessieville is reputed to a have a high rate of incest (I was told that the school superintendent and his wife are first cousins).

Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Outside of the fact that HSV (Hot Springs Village) is about 15 miles out of town, it's also somewhat remote. Also that gated thing isn't as secure as a gated community in L.A. would be. All you have to do is say you are going to the bank to be waved through or simply drive in the resident lane. They don't check during the day.
I was told about some restaurant in HSV that has the gate let anyone in to dine. It seems like a waste of having a gate if there are businesses that allow anyone in to use their services.

I am guessing the gate is there to keep the yankees in anyway, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas