Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppermidwest View Post
We are wanting to move to the mountain home area we are in our forties. We are looking for a slower walk of life. My husband will be laid off soon. I'm a nurse and know there are jobs for nurses. Is the rent reasonable? The schools welcoming? I saw the university is right there in Mountain Home which is great for our oldest. please let us know ?
Yes, the rent is reasonable, the area is beautiful, the people are welcoming, and you'll never run of recreation.

Mountain Home is a tourist and sportsman destination because of the lake.

There are a lot of "transplants" in Mountain Home, so you're sure to run into someone from our area.

There are also smaller communities around MH, in case you don't want to live in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,005 times
Thank you for letting us know about the school. Are there jobs available
for my husband and oldest son. My husband is a cnc programmer and can do steel manufacturing, an my oldest just wants a job for pay for gas while in college. my next question is when is the best time to move april, june or august? please let me know.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppermidwest View Post
Thank you for letting us know about the school. Are there jobs available
for my husband and oldest son. My husband is a cnc programmer and can do steel manufacturing, an my oldest just wants a job for pay for gas while in college. my next question is when is the best time to move april, june or august? please let me know.
Can't help with the job thing, but if you have a choice, definately move in April.

You're not going to be wanting to lug boxes in June or August if you're not acclimated to the area.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 PM

62 posts, read 151,991 times
I grew up in MH--the economy hasn't traditionally been very hopping, but it's grown in the past 15 years and has a beautiful campus for the local branch of ASU and is getting a new library, I think. Plenty of lake/river events, caves in the area, pretty place, and very nice people!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,418 times
AK= Alaska... AR= Arkansas

Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,458 times
Smile Moving to Mountain Home area

I escaped er... moved here in 1997 from So. Cal. and have never looked back. The jobs here aren't abundant unless you are in the medical or restaurant profession. Housing compared to So Cal is much more reasonable. The people here actually wave with all 5 fingers. Traffic is very light. Snow in the winter is very light. Humidity is high in July and August but unless you work outside it isn't bad. The rest of the year is beautiful. Birds and wildlife are abundant. Fishing is great. The positives outweigh the negatives by far. To hop on a charter flight, Springfield is about 2 1/2 hrs from here and Little Rock isn't much farther. If you move here...please don't say "Well, where I came from we did it like...."

Old 07-11-2009, 11:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkgrannie View Post
I escaped er... moved here in 1997 from So. Cal. and have never looked back. The jobs here aren't abundant unless you are in the medical or restaurant profession. Housing compared to So Cal is much more reasonable. The people here actually wave with all 5 fingers. Traffic is very light. Snow in the winter is very light. Humidity is high in July and August but unless you work outside it isn't bad. The rest of the year is beautiful. Birds and wildlife are abundant. Fishing is great. The positives outweigh the negatives by far. To hop on a charter flight, Springfield is about 2 1/2 hrs from here and Little Rock isn't much farther. If you move here...please don't say "Well, where I came from we did it like...."
good for you, we moved to BV from cal via, DC, Texas and NM. Like you we love it: perfect, of course not, what is? but we have the best of all worlds. People who think they have lots of birds in their yards need to come to AR, then they will know how many kinds of birds live on our planet, you think you see deer in your neighborhood? We had them in NO Ca, the cute little greyish brown kind that were cute but certainly not what I would call pretty, here bambi, his mom and dad walk by our front or back yard regularly. They even stop to get their picture taken.. NE OK, NW AR and SW MO are what America is all about in my estimation..

JMHO

Nita

Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM

52 posts, read 213,032 times
Default Mountain Home

My husband and I are looking for some place smaller and quiet to move to. Right now we are researching Mountain Home, AR. I am curious about the job market in the area and what the winters and summers are like. Lots of tornados and snow?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:37 PM

144 posts, read 552,350 times
Mountain Home is one of those places you either love or hate. If you love it, its probably because you are looking for a slower pace of life, grew up around here, are an avid outdoorsman (fishing, hunting, etc), are looking to retire, want a quiet place to raise a family, or love the lakes. If these are things you are interested in, by all means-this might be a good place for you. We relocated here 8 months ago, and if my husbands job here wasn't awesome, Im not sure we would have lasted this long. Mountain Home is very isolated. It's 1.5 hours to a mall, target, starbucks, or any of those modern conveniences that you take for granted. If you are wanting more higher end shopping, you are looking at an even longer drive. We usually prefer the 5 hour drive to KC (because we are from that area and prefer the old familiar feeling.) I would guess you could find many comparable shopping options 3 hours away in Little Rock, though we have not ventured down that way yet. You won't find too many 5 star dining options in Mountain Home either, but maybe those things aren't important to you. We do have Chilis, Coltons, and several locally owned options to check out. We have 4 distinct seasons. As I type this, I am looking out over about 3 inches of snow, with snow still falling. Summer was HOT (though cooler than the average according to those who are from around here). We had a few days over 100 early on in the summer, but the rest was 90s or 80s for the most part. However, depending on where you are, that could be a big change. It's humid here. So 93 will likely feel like 103. But I don't mind the heat, with the lake just down the road or the beautiful Buffalo River to float. Fall was pretty, and I have yet to experience a spring here. Having missed Spring, I can't give you too much on tornadoes here. I do know they had one in Gassville a year or so ago, but I definately don't worry as much about tornadoes here (having moved here from the MO/KS state line).

People are friendly. And older in age (not sure how old you are but the median age is pretty high, as this is a huge retirement area). Ive met lots of good, honest, hardworking people. Crime is next to nothing. All I ever see on the Baxter County Sheriff's site is shoplifters, the occasional DWI, passing bad checks, etc. You have the occasional crazy that just does something unbelievable but it's pretty much Mayberry around here otherwise.

Jobs here are hard to come by. There just isn't much here, so there isn't a lot of employment opportunities. My husband was transferred here when he was promoted through his company but I have yet to find any job working in a school (I was a teacher before). Don't come here unless you have a job secured. I can't stress that enough. If you are interested, start sending out resumes and networking to get a job first. You can't commute to a larger city to work, because there just aren't any places around.

I would definately visit a few times before deciding to move here. We weren't given the opportunity (as my husband was just sent here for his job). I will say that while Mountain Home was not my first choice in places to live, I have met a lot of really nice people and can see why they like it here. That being said, this is not *home* to me and I do not plan to stay in the area. I just don't do well with the isolation. I thought I would adjust but I haven't. My husband works long hours, we don't have kids, and I get bored just sitting around the house or going to Walmart. I need Starbucks, shopping, and entertainment. I don't want to spend 3 hours of my Saturday driving to Branson (or 4 hours to Springfield) to get out of the house for a while.
I don't want to drive 5 hours to watch a professional sports event, see a new art exhibit, or to enjoy a little bit of nightlife activity. If none of those things are important to you (and my guess is they aren't if you are inquiring about Mountain Home) then you may really like it here. Come on down and visit. I bet there are many locals who would offer you a glass of sweet tea and be willing to show you around and tell you all about the area. Very nice people here!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,359 times
Default Country Girl needs to find Mountain Home!!!!

Hello all!!! I've just joined up and have read thru all of the awesome posts on here, but am still having some trouble...a little background on us first - We're a hard working employed couple who are lucky enough to be able to live/travel where the wind takes us and our next destination is Mountain Home, Arkansas!!! I'm really excited as we've lived in Central Oregon for 2 1/2 years and were both ready for a scene change! Don't get me wrong, Oregon is BEAUTIFUL but living on the west coast has made us both long for a bit of southern livin' again! So here's where I need some serious help - we're renters by nature and we would love to find a quiet country house outside of Mountain Home...I have read every post/thread I can find and it seems there aren't very many (if any?) country homes for rent in the area? I don't know if I'm just searching it wrong, but if anyone knows of a dependable Property Manager (not one of those nasty online links that takes you to a spam site) that would be able to help us out on this one, or even if you personally know someone who is looking to find us to rent their house it would be awesome!!!
Being that were still in Oregon until the very end of May and cant just drive down for kicks has made this one a struggle!!! (I CANT WAIT UNTIL THE END OF MAY)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas