Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 PM

28 posts, read 145,449 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thirtysomething professionals with small children. For the first time it looks like we will be relocating for a new oppurtunity for her. This will take us to Ft. Smith.

Any experiences of the area would be valued, of course someone will troll and someone will find it to be nirvana but this is expected.

We are especially interested in where to live, or where not to live, in this area. Schools are of foremost consideration. Any information regarding private schools v. the public in the area from this community is appreciated.

Manufacturing, industry in the area?

Is it possible to find a bedroom community between Favetteville and Ft. Smith or is the commute just too much. Is Tulsa the same story?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotg View Post
My wife and I are thirtysomething professionals with small children. For the first time it looks like we will be relocating for a new oppurtunity for her. This will take us to Ft. Smith.

Any experiences of the area would be valued, of course someone will troll and someone will find it to be nirvana but this is expected.

We are especially interested in where to live, or where not to live, in this area. Schools are of foremost consideration. Any information regarding private schools v. the public in the area from this community is appreciated.

Manufacturing, industry in the area?

Is it possible to find a bedroom community between Favetteville and Ft. Smith or is the commute just too much. Is Tulsa the same story?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Gonzotg -

Wal Mart rules, as does Tyson, in NWA - but there are a ton of other things there, too. From F'ville to Ft. Smith there is pretty much nothing...I-540 would make the commute about an hour barring traffic, and it's not the highway traffic, it's the Fayetteville traffic that's awful (fondly called Fayettenam by some!) West Fork and Farmington are both in there, both very small towns if you like that style. I'm sorry, I can't help you on the education thing.

Have you looked back east of Ft. Smith, toward Altus? SE is Subiaco Abbey and Academy for 9-12th boys, and Paris has St. Joseph's, an excellent pre-K-8 private school. I think Paris is about 40 minutes from Ft. Smith. Lavaca is on that road, but really - I think it is pretty rural. Are you wanting to get out from town?

It wouldn't be worth it to me to drive 2 hours a day....but I'm old and grumpy! I can't imagine the drive to Tulsa would be any better. I suspect you will find the "suburbs" of Ft. Smith to provide what you need and still leave you within a reasonable driving distance to work. I think there was recently something posted on Ft. Smith schools in this Arkansas forum - you might do a search and see what you come up with.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Sam, I bet to the OP, the traffic in Fayetteville would seem like nothing. No one can beleive what So Cal traffic is unless you have lived there. people here complain abouta Albuquerque traffic. After spending most of our lives in SO Cal, DC area and Dallas, our traffic here in nothing. As for commuting 2 hours I agree. There seems to be no reason for that in Arkansas. NMnita

Old 06-09-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sam, I bet to the OP, the traffic in Fayetteville would seem like nothing. No one can beleive what So Cal traffic is unless you have lived there. people here complain abouta Albuquerque traffic. After spending most of our lives in SO Cal, DC area and Dallas, our traffic here in nothing. As for commuting 2 hours I agree. There seems to be no reason for that in Arkansas. NMnita
That's sorta what I meant and missed the mark completely! The F'ville traffic would be the biggest hang up, and even it isn't completely horrible. I think we are coming from the same direction, though.....there's no need to move that far from Ft. Smith in order to remain in a good community. I'm not in love with the Ft. Smith area myself, but I AM in love with Arkansas - so Ft. Smith would be just fine with me!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
That's sorta what I meant and missed the mark completely! The F'ville traffic would be the biggest hang up, and even it isn't completely horrible. I think we are coming from the same direction, though.....there's no need to move that far from Ft. Smith in order to remain in a good community. I'm not in love with the Ft. Smith area myself, but I AM in love with Arkansas - so Ft. Smith would be just fine with me!
Sam, we will start our investigating trips this Tues and are prety excited even though we won't be moving til this time next year or maybe a little sooner. At first we were going to look in Ft Smith, but our granddaughter has talked us out of it, she just doesn't think we would like it. We do intend on looking a little, next Wednesday in Van Buren, just so we will be certain we are not missing anything. I actually think we will end up in Bella Vista or over on the OK side. We are prepared to get less house for the money, but think, from what we have read we will be happier there. After we visit we may chance our minds completely, who knows? Nita

Old 06-10-2007, 09:28 AM

155 posts, read 662,448 times
Van Buren is a nice growing city next to Fort Smith. A lot less crime and thuggie presence.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:44 AM

28 posts, read 145,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Gonzotg -

Have you looked back east of Ft. Smith, toward Altus? SE is Subiaco Abbey and Academy for 9-12th boys, and Paris has St. Joseph's, an excellent pre-K-8 private school. I think Paris is about 40 minutes from Ft. Smith. Lavaca is on that road, but really - I think it is pretty rural. Are you wanting to get out from town?
I have not looked in these areas but we are just getting started on the process so I certainly will. I will have to have broadband so small towns are ok but country living probably won't work.

Interesting that Fayetteville is referred to as "Fayettenam". Fayetteville NC (the home of Ft. Bragg) is unaffectionately refered to the same way. Thanks for your help we will also be looking at Van Buren.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotg View Post
I have not looked in these areas but we are just getting started on the process so I certainly will. I will have to have broadband so small towns are ok but country living probably won't work.

Interesting that Fayetteville is referred to as "Fayettenam". Fayetteville NC (the home of Ft. Bragg) is unaffectionately refered to the same way. Thanks for your help we will also be looking at Van Buren.
Oh, that's just the college kids being stupid - it is a VERY safe town - they also call it Fatalville because they say that first year at U of A is a killer - I think for the young 'uns who can't handle their keg in the closet

Van Buren is very nice, you might really like it there!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:55 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Are you looking for a more rural setting? Do you care about having amenities nearby? One thing about Van Buren is although it is a smaller town, it is growing much faster than Ft. Smith and the quality of life is overall much better. In Ft. Smith, you might want to check out the far south side or the Barling area. Most of central and north Ft. Smith is dirty and provides an overall unpleasant experience. Its also an older demographic which highly resists change in the community, which I believe is one reason all the growth is occuring in Van Buren and the surrounding communities rather than Ft. Smith.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:38 PM

155 posts, read 662,448 times
Fort Smith does have a lot of rough characters, the VB police do a good job of keeping them across the bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas