Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Do You See Booming 10-20 Years From Now?
Little Rock-North Little Rock 10 19.61%
Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers 21 41.18%
Fort Smith 19 37.25%
Texarkana 4 7.84%
Jonesboro 2 3.92%
Conway 4 7.84%
Pine Bluff 2 3.92%
Hot Springs 3 5.88%
El Dorado 1 1.96%
Other Arkansas City 4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Bentonville, Rogers, Bella Vista will boom like no place else in the US in the next 5-10 years. Crystal Bridges Museum will be a big driver for recreation in Benton County.
thanks, yes, Crystal Bridges development shows what plans are in store for the NWA communities.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 PM

8 posts, read 17,972 times
Fort Smith

Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 AM

369 posts, read 1,301,777 times
I predict that in 20 years, 2/3 of the state's population will either be in the LR-NLR Metro or Northwest Arkansas Metro. LR MSA and NWA both offer something totally different and they will also grow in completely different ways - with the LR-NLR-Conway Metro growing like a traditional msa where most of the growth will be in areas outside of the anchor city (Saline, Lonoke, and Faulkner counties). NWA on the other hand will continue to grow evenly all throughout the metro area. The surprise in the next couple decades will be Jonesboro (population around 100,000 by 2030).

Old 05-04-2010, 07:25 AM

200 posts, read 681,983 times
In my humble opinion, I guess it depends on what you think a "boom" is. Yes, NW Arkansas and Little Rock are growing, but I think both may be past their "boom" stage. There have been a couple of news articles already this year about how Walmart is starting to "decentralize" their operations, and move some functions away from NW Arkansas.

I think Texarkana will be a "boomer", but it may take longer than the 15-20 year window. The I-49 project, the Trans-Texas corridor, high-speed rail that is being discussed... all of those together could have major impact for Texarkana.

I guess I hope for a boom in El Dorado. Murphy Oil is still here, there is still a lot of old money here, a new high school is being built, the El Dorado Promise is here, and the city has yet to really get cranking on economic development initiatives that have already been voted on and passed (once the new conference center is built, that should change). Those sort of things take time to bring about change. I guess time will tell.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinerBock View Post
In my humble opinion, I guess it depends on what you think a "boom" is. Yes, NW Arkansas and Little Rock are growing, but I think both may be past their "boom" stage. There have been a couple of news articles already this year about how Walmart is starting to "decentralize" their operations, and move some functions away from NW Arkansas.

I think Texarkana will be a "boomer", but it may take longer than the 15-20 year window. The I-49 project, the Trans-Texas corridor, high-speed rail that is being discussed... all of those together could have major impact for Texarkana.

I guess I hope for a boom in El Dorado. Murphy Oil is still here, there is still a lot of old money here, a new high school is being built, the El Dorado Promise is here, and the city has yet to really get cranking on economic development initiatives that have already been voted on and passed (once the new conference center is built, that should change). Those sort of things take time to bring about change. I guess time will tell.
Texarkana might we another growth area but watch for new industry to move into NWA and possible Little Rock. I don't think we will have to depend mostly on Wal Mart for our growth.

Nita

Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Texarkana might we another growth area but watch for new industry to move into NWA and possible Little Rock. I don't think we will have to depend mostly on Wal Mart for our growth.

Nita
True. The UofA is beginning to be its own growth engine, supporting research, and helping turn that research into businesses. You never know what new technology will turn into the "next big thing".

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Walmart HQ in Fayetteville. Our (sad) economic future.
Actually, not.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 AM

123 posts, read 359,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinerBock View Post

Yeah I-49 will/has factored in big with our growth. A lot of businesses that have located here or expanded cite I-49 as one of the reasons for their opening shop here. From what I've heard the Trans Texas Corridor is now dead although we will be on the high speed rail network and a spur of I-69 will be built here. On I-30 just about all the interchanges in town are being re done for the frontage road project which is scheduled to be completed next year sometime. Transportation won't be the only factors in our growth. Education is playing a big part as well. On the Texas side a new Texas A&M campus is being built and once completed could offer courses to up to 10,000 students. On the Ark side there are rumors of a satellite of South Arkansas University to be built but nothing has been formally announced so we'll have to wait and see about that. The last time I went through El Dorado was in 2007. It seemed to be a nice little city.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Yeah I-49 will/has factored in big with our growth. A lot of businesses that have located here or expanded cite I-49 as one of the reasons for their opening shop here. From what I've heard the Trans Texas Corridor is now dead although we will be on the high speed rail network and a spur of I-69 will be built here. On I-30 just about all the interchanges in town are being re done for the frontage road project which is scheduled to be completed next year sometime. Transportation won't be the only factors in our growth. Education is playing a big part as well. On the Texas side a new Texas A&M campus is being built and once completed could offer courses to up to 10,000 students. On the Ark side there are rumors of a satellite of South Arkansas University to be built but nothing has been formally announced so we'll have to wait and see about that. The last time I went through El Dorado was in 2007. It seemed to be a nice little city.
LOL. Regarding I-69, at this rate, you may get your "spur" before we get the interstate itself.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:51 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Default Which City Will Continue To Or Will Boom 10-20 Years From Now?

Bella Vista

In fact, I'd bet that the entire NW corner of Arkansas will continue to grow at a fast pace. Real pleasant area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas