Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,658,778 times

Advertisements

Hello, just found this site and was wondering if I could get some help, We have looking for some retirement property and California prices are thru the roof. Mt Wifes Uncle moved to Bella Vista and loves it.
We would like to buy a place that we can have our horses on our property, that is fairly close to lake. A racetrack near by would be a bonus( dirt, with Sprint Cars )
Some wildlife to look at would be nice too, Deer< Turkey etc.
I guess I'm asking alot huh....
oh yeah Trees, I like Tree's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,497,089 times
Check out ashflat area.... or Highland..

Old 06-10-2007, 10:43 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,275,975 times
That's a pretty easy order other than the racetrack...if you get even the littlest bit out of town anywhere in Arkansas there is no telling what you'll see. We actually lived in Foxcroft, a very nice subdivision right in Little Rock, and we had deer all over our property all the time - as well as a set of ground hogs. The wild turkeys were everywhere. We're in the river valley now and there are bear and bobcats and everything else under the sun.

Most places are within an hour's drive of a wonderful lake. Other than Little Rock and Fayetteville, you won't find any "big" cities in Arkansas (I think Ft. Smith might be #2, but I always forget it)....believe me, you can have your pick of towns with enough acreage for horses and be close to a lake AND live more inexpensively.

When are you looking at moving, if you do?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
We are about to start looking at some places. Right now we will be visiting Van Buren and Bella Vista as well as some areas in NE OK. Just checking the websites it looks like finding land outside the city with acreage is pretty easy.

We leave Tues. I will report when we return.

Good luck, you have found a great site to get answers to all your questions. I have only been posting for about a month and am amazed how much we have learned. BTW, we are transplants from So Calif originally.

Nita

Old 06-10-2007, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the reply's so far.
To answer some of your questions.
We have just started to look, I never even thought of Arkansas until my wife's Uncle moved there.
My Father was born in Greenway, I spent some summer's in Piggott as little kid.
I still have about 8 years to work before I retire. WE are in a position to buy some land now, and build later or possibly buy a place with a house now and rent it out.. Which would be preferred?? Do they build prefab or manufactured homes there? Is so what do they go for?
Is buying some land and leaving it alone for a decade a bad idea?
Thanks for the help.....

Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM

BassMan -

I can't see it would be a bad thing at all to buy now, wooded or not, and let it sit - they ain't makin' any more of it! Actually, if you got a fairly large piece of cleared land, you might be able to lease it out for hay or pasture.

With you out of state, I would never recommend renting a house out unless it was something you weren't ever going to live in.....most renters are hard on a house. Or get a really good management company to protect your interests - but everything that goes wrong ultimately is on you....ugh.

Yes, prefab and manufactured are both huge here - I guess price would depend on what amenities you want.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Sam,
That's some good advise right there.. How is NW Ar. for getting building permits? Do you need them for Barns, wells, and outbuilding too? The wife would really like one of those white fences, is lumber reasonably priced?
Thanks

Old 06-11-2007, 02:47 AM

That, I think, is one of the trickier things about Arkansas. If you are in a rural area, I don't believe there's much in the way of building permits, although of course everything would have to be code to pass inspection for insurance purposes......but it seems the more rural you get, the more anything goes. I am not sure how much land we are talking here...I am assuming a construction permit would have to be pulled for erecting a structure that is going to have an electrical hook up since a pole and a box would have to be set. Again, I am unsure. Maybe re-post under "cost of building materials NWA" and see if someone can lead and guide. I just write checks :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas