Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Anyways, I have been curious to know more about Dubai. (I already know quite a bit about it)

The have a great skyline, and they have a lot of cool things. The Marina is wonderful.

My parents and siblings have all been there, and some of my closest friends as well, I haven't been. But I have been considering a visit soon enough.

But I have heard a lot of bad things as far as crime goes, and abductions, and pretty sketchy behavior.(my friends told me that) I don't want to generalize the city, I have not been yet, so I wanted to ask people who have actually been.

What do you think about it? Will it be safe for me to visit it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,509 times
Dubai is an amazing city. Abu Dhabi is even cooler. I think it is pretty safe. I had no problems.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
To Omshahi: Wow we are all over the place on the city-data forums! We definitely make the most of what this site offers!

I also feel the same curiosity as you do about Dubai.

Dubai and the United Arab Emirates is a relatively heavily Westernized and socially/politically moderate place that is surrounded by very anti-Western and socially/politically conservative places such as Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Afghanistan not far away.

Dubai/United Arab Emirates is also in a relatively safe and peaceful place surrounded by countries and regions that have a lot of conflict and tension such as Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, and even Somalia not that far away. Also, Israel not that far away from there

Dubai is literally 200 miles south from a part of Iran with only some body of water separating them! That probably means Dubai is like 30 minutes away by airplane from that area of Iran, and probably 2 hours away by airplane from the southern area of Iraq!
I wonder how Dubai and United Arab Emirates became the way it is when they are surrounded around places like that.

Also, Dubai has a lot of modern avant garde skyscrapers being built(Mostly from people that are architects in Europe it seems) recently and a lot of recent modern infrastructure.

Before Dubai gets any avant garde skyscrapers, the USA, Canada, and Europe should have more.

Im also very worried about Dubais future since its so close by to Iran, Saudia Arabia, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Somalia.

Last edited by ; 07-21-2010 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-21-2010, 05:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Omshahi: Wow we are all over the place on the city-data forums! We definitely make the most of what this site offers!

I also feel the same curiosity as you do about Dubai.

Dubai and the United Arab Emirates is a relatively heavily Westernized and socially/politically moderate place that is surrounded by very anti-Western and socially/politically conservative places such as Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Afghanistan not far away.

Dubai/United Arab Emirates is also in a relatively safe and peaceful place surrounded by countries and regions that have a lot of conflict and tension such as Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, and even Somalia not that far away. Also, Israel not that far away from there

Dubai is literally 200 miles south from a part of Iran with only some body of water separating them! That probably means Dubai is like 30 minutes away by airplane from that area of Iran, and probably 2 hours away by airplane from the southern area of Iraq!
I wonder how Dubai and United Arab Emirates became the way it is when they are surrounded around places like that.

Also, Dubai has a lot of modern avant garde skyscrapers being built(Mostly from people that are architects in Europe it seems) recently and a lot of recent modern infrastructure.

Before Dubai gets any avant garde skyscrapers, the USA, Canada, and Europe should have more.

Im also very worried about Dubais future since its so close by to Iran, Saudia Arabia, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Somalia.
Ah! You found me on the other corner of this site!

It's true, we probably do make good use of this site the most. And we actually do share a lot of similarities too!

Thank you for the information. My brother told me the Marina, the harbor, the mall, nearly everything about the place is new. And that it's really nice to see.

I have seen a video on Dubai, nothing was there before 1990, when the place was a lonesome city in the desert and it transformed itself into something this great.

They also have the worlds leading architectural advancements.

It makes me really want to see the place more. And thank you for you in depth post yet again!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:40 AM

69 posts, read 200,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
But I have heard a lot of bad things as far as crime goes, and abductions, and pretty sketchy behavior.(my friends told me that)
Your friend obviously has no idea what the hell is (s)he talking about. UAE are perfectly safe. You can leave your wallet full of money in the middle of the street and nobody will take it. Emirates are westernized but they're still muslim countries and you can get real punished for stealing etc., besides, most people have a youknowhat load of cash there (except Indian and Pakistani construction workers) and nobody is interested in crime. Believe you me, you are safe as you can get in Dubai or AD. Just don't do any stupid things like picking a fight with the locals (Emirates) or harassing their women or taking drugs.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
....But I have heard a lot of bad things as far as crime goes, and abductions, and pretty sketchy behavior.(my friends told me that) I don't want to generalize the city, I have not been yet, so I wanted to ask people who have actually been.

What do you think about it? Will it be safe for me to visit it?
I have not been there, but an acquaintance of mine works there periodically to make a bundle of cash and then return to Europe for awile. I never heard him mention anything like the above, but I thought I'd forward your query.

His response: "What a bunch of cr*p."

Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,189 times
Yes, Dubai is very wealthy and safe and blah blah blah, but if you go there you might as well throw away all of your civil liberties into the can. I'm not exaggerating.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:12 PM

69 posts, read 200,031 times
What do you mean by civil liberties? Coking up? I worked there for over a year and I saw prostitutes, drugs, gay bars, pork, provocatively dressed women, Russian gangsters... you name it. Dubai is one big business district with 90% population being foreign workers and thus almost everything being adjusted to them. Have you ever been to Dubai?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:22 PM

20 posts, read 34,633 times
hi there ! im ahmed , i'm 16

any way i Studied in Dubai for a month and a half .

about the abductions i dibn't see or heard any thing , and about the sketchy behavior i didn't have any problem , and i saw a lot of Americans that seems to have no problem .

sry 4 my bad english

Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
How hard is it for a foreigner to find a decent job there? Dubai's always seemed to be sort of a hotbed of capitalism like Hong Kong was when I was growing up. I've always been interested in living there, but I'm not sure I'd be able to afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia