Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:57 PM

13 posts, read 58,862 times

Advertisements

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 PM

291 posts, read 752,381 times
Chinese culture is Incredible..... very interesting to see how old it is and how developed China was many many years ago. also I am very greatful for all the inventions that China gave the world. Thank you!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I took Chinese for a year and did a month long lecture series on it. It's a favorite country of mine. Not so impressed by their governments, but it apparently really is freer than in the Maoist era. Taiwan is one of the freer countries in Asia and I considered taking a job there, but I'm phobic about earthquakes and it didn't pan out anyway.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
I used to know a few hundred Mandarin Chinese words when I studied the language age 14-16, and could speak it for up to 10 minues, but I forgot most of what I knew since then, except or maybe 10 words, and this sentence below. I still know the foundations of the language, such as that it is a tonal language, and things like that.

Wo wangle zhongwen.=(
Ni hao
Xie Xie.

I used to know at least 300 more words/characters than that! That was only a few years ago.

I also am fascinated by Chinese history, how it is the most populated country in the World, how fast it is changing with its urban areas, and how quickly it is changing in general.

I also am fascinated by Yin and Yang as well as Feng Shui which are concepts that originally come from China.

I also like Chinese food a lot, even though I dont like it as much as Indian and Thai food.

I would love to visit Hong Kong, and Shanghai one day and am wondering i should learn Chinese again.

I wish China was a free democracy, and that it was a country that cared more about environmental standards, but it is still a fascinating country.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I took Chinese for a year and did a month long lecture series on it. It's a favorite country of mine. Not so impressed by their governments, but it apparently really is freer than in the Maoist era. Taiwan is one of the freer countries in Asia and I considered taking a job there, but I'm phobic about earthquakes and it didn't pan out anyway.
Taiwan is a Chinese provinces,I'm a Chinese live in main land ,I think Taiwan's people have less free than us ,earthquakes are so many those years certainly...but,it's aways in mountain...the earthquake never happened in my live-place...

Old 08-26-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I used to know a few hundred Mandarin Chinese words when I studied the language age 14-16, and could speak it for up to 10 minues, but I forgot most of what I knew since then, except or maybe 10 words, and this sentence below. I still know the foundations of the language, such as that it is a tonal language, and things like that.

Wo wangle zhongwen.=(
Ni hao
Xie Xie.

I used to know at least 300 more words/characters than that! That was only a few years ago.

I also am fascinated by Chinese history, how it is the most populated country in the World, how fast it is changing with its urban areas, and how quickly it is changing in general.

I also am fascinated by Yin and Yang as well as Feng Shui which are concepts that originally come from China.

I also like Chinese food a lot, even though I dont like it as much as Indian and Thai food.

I would love to visit Hong Kong, and Shanghai one day and am wondering i should learn Chinese again.

I wish China was a free democracy, and that it was a country that cared more about environmental standards, but it is still a fascinating country.
Hehe,I can teach you "pure Chinese",If you like,Maybe I think we are very free...because of the lack of law,Shanghai and Hongkong look like capitalist society more ,not so "hexie" (harmonious),Beijing looks more,you can send mail to my E-mail as a364655585@163.com

Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a364655585 View Post
Taiwan is a Chinese provinces,I'm a Chinese live in main land ,I think Taiwan's people have less free than us ,earthquakes are so many those years certainly...but,it's aways in mountain...the earthquake never happened in my live-place...
Taiwan is an independent nation. If you visit China and then visit Taiwan, you will definitely notice that you are in two different countries. They are more different than Canada and the USA. A good comparison would be between Cuba(China) and the USA(Taiwan) with the sizes of country reversed. However, China is quickly modernizing and improving their quality of living.

Taiwan has a large population with Chinese heritage who emigrated with the defeat of the KMT in 1949. This is fortunate, because the Taiwanese were thus able to preserve a great deal of Chinese culture while their mainland counterparts tried to destroy their heritage during the "Cultural Revolution."

That said, China is a beautiful country to visit, and many of the old ways and customs still survive in remote rural areas. Around tourist centers, people have been trying to revive old customs, but they do it in a very commercialized and fake way. I do not much care for Chinese cities, especially Beijing, but the countryside is very nice.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
In a way I am fascinated by chinese culture and their history. I'm going to visit Beijing next year and I love Chinese food (not the junk food often sold in the US as "Chinese" but real chinese food in Chinatown etc.).

On the other hand I am a bit concerned about their "copy and paste" manufacturing industry as they copy technical products from the US and EU, build them for half the price and sell as their own. This is absolutely not the right way.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:44 PM

291 posts, read 752,381 times
As much as I like China and its people I dont really care too much for its traditional art....although its is beautiful ...it seems somewhat boring and repetitive. Would like to see more innovative modern stuff.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:32 PM

202 posts, read 568,198 times
I like the Chinese people, their various cultures, and I especially respect their culinary abilities. As an aspiring chef, I think there is much to be learned from the Chinese people.

However, I don't like the Chinese government's policies towrds it's political and religious dissidents, it's alliances with North Korea and Sudan, and I especially find distasteful it's policies towards the nation of Tibet, and the Uyghur Muslims and other non-Chinese citizens of China.

That said, I also strongly disapprove of most of my own government's foreign and domestic policies, such as the war in Iraq, how we treat the immigrants that are here to do the jobs we won't do, and lack of support for the Native Americans.

As usual, the more powerful nations become, the worse they get. Better to focus on the people themselves, who most often don't have much to do with what their governments get up to.

Last edited by elcoyoteloco; 08-26-2010 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia