Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times

Advertisements

Putting aside everything about racial pride or whatever over there, I'm wondering if a significant amount of people in Hong Kong and Macau miss the days of British and Portuguese rule compared to being part of communist China today. How does life now in Hong Kong compare to before the return to China? In terms of personal freedoms, how much has been curtailed. If a Hong Konger misses the old days, can he even express that opinion safely and not fear being targeted by the government, sent to a prison camp, etc? And how concerned are people about the "50 years" of "self-rule" running out? Does anyone in Hong Kong or Macau feel that they are still in the colonial days, simply trading democratic rule from London and Lisbon with authoritarian rule from Beijing?

I know there are a number of colonies around the world like Bermuda, the US and British Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Guam, etc that did not want independence from the mother country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 28,106 times
From what I heard from the hong kongers I met in the west and in hong kong itself: NONE

Old 09-07-2010, 05:29 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I think the Hong Kongers who felt/feared they'd dislike Chinese rule largely left in the 1990s. I've heard Macau was somewhat poorly ran by the Portuguese so was genuinely looking forward to "returning" to China. (I think the Portuguese had ruled it since the 16th c so I'm not sure it ever had much in the way of Chinese rule) Although I heard the Macanese of partial Portuguese descent were less happy and thinking of leaving.

Possibly there are journalists still in Hong Kong who miss the pre-transfer era some as in a poll they indicate press freedom has declined.

[2007-2-10] Over 50% Journalists Think that Press Freedom Has Deteriorated Since the Handover

I think Roman Catholics expressed concern about the transfer and still have some complaints about it.

Hong Kong seems to have largely been allowed to keep its system though. Also it was somewhat restricted for most of its history of British rule. Lastly I've noticed most people seem to care more about money than freedom. When people are somewhat repressed, but well-fed with good entertainments, than odds are they'll go with it due to fear going against it will lose them what they have. The future might be a kind of "global Singapore."

Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Yeah, I think most of them left. Vancouver and Canada completely opened their doors to Hong Kong money...and the wealthy among them poured in. Great for Canada.

The Los Angeles suburbs received quite a few as well. There are some cities like Monterey Park, California that are well over 50% Chinese...just from that 'time era of transition'.

But, most of that fear seemed unfounded...as China just allowed HK/Macau to run exactly the same, except that the tax base goes to Beijing instead of London. I have heard that China has been purposely trying to move a lot of that financial wealth northward to Beijing/Shanghai...i.e. banking and financial industries...

But for the most part, it seems to be exactly the same. I've also been to HK/Macau before and after the transition, and the feel is pretty much the same.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,655 times
When both Hong Kong and Macau became a part of China, what did change? I know many people said everything is pretty much the same, but something obviously changed? Are the laws more communist in nature?

Can you give some examples?

Old 09-08-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
When both Hong Kong and Macau became a part of China, what did change? I know many people said everything is pretty much the same, but something obviously changed? Are the laws more communist in nature?

Can you give some examples?
Just a guess, but I believe that the tax base money just went to Beijing instead of London.

In regards to communism...I think it's no secret that China is one of the most capitalistic countries on the planet in many respects. Not only that, but the Chinese are just damn good at that as well.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:38 AM

25 posts, read 53,714 times
why HongKongnese or People of Macau miss the days ruled by Caucasians who obviously are not a part of their society originally? I can hardly find out any reason. Both belong to China, I think for people living there they just want to be themselves. Colony is a shame not proud of a nation or any person.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 AM

6 posts, read 12,472 times
Can't speak for Macau, but I feel most HKers don't miss the colonial days. However I think most are grateful for the infrastructure, legal, and healthcare system that the British put together for HK. It wasn't perfect, but certainly better than anything the Chinese government could offer then and even now.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:07 AM

25 posts, read 53,714 times
China needs change, I hope everything is on the right track 50 years later
hope some Hongkongnese with great mind can contribute or accelerate to the change

Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiii View Post
China needs change, I hope everything is on the right track 50 years later
hope some Hongkongnese with great mind can contribute or accelerate to the change
China is going through immense change at the moment. I don't think change is occurring so much from or in Hong Kong...but throughout the rest of China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia