Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM

11,361 posts, read 19,020,131 times

Advertisements

10 years ago (or more accurately 11), when they were doing all the "2000" celebrations on CNN and ABC around the world, one country was noticeably absent from it, and that was Israel (except for showing fireworks being done by Palestinians in the West Bank). Even being Jewish, it kind of surprised me.

I know that the origins of New Year's are Christian and religious, but on that showing (and as I learned, every year for that matter) many countries that are not Christian (i.e. the Arab world, the Far East (especially China and Japan)) do public New Year's Eve celebrations and even have Jan. 1 as a national holiday. I did read that in Israel those who do anything celebratory on the day call it "Sylvester" after some saint in the 4th century (though those celebrating are usually Jewish immigrants from North America and western Europe who don't do anything religious with the day), I guess just some way to not call it "New Year" in order to respect Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish religious new year. For example, a restaurant in Tel Aviv might call it a "Sylvester celebration" is what I read.

In the US virtually every Jewish person I know of except for the Hasidim and many (but not all) Orthodox celebrate tonight, even though none (I know of) celebrate Christmas (at least in overt terms like having a tree and presents at home, etc.).

Obviously, the Gregorian calendar is what most of the world uses for business, etc. (even in Israel) so having a secular Dec 31/Jan 1 holiday makes sense even in the non-Christian world, whereas Christmas wouldn't.

So I'm pretty curious about this and hope that maybe someone on here who lives or lived in Israel would know (or just knows in general). Like is anything at all done on TV regarding New Year's Eve? Or do people who go to restaurants or private parties go into work the next day (and are careful not to drink much or at all?). I realize this year would be different since it falls on a Friday night/Saturday (I know the weekend in Israel is Friday/Saturday and not Saturday/Sunday and that that probably makes a difference, also it may restrict public transport, etc. to some extent anyway being Shabbat/Jewish sabbath).

Oh and Happy New Year to all (especially those in Australia, etc. where it's already Jan 1) and best wishes for a great 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:12 PM

44,002 posts, read 44,778,723 times
In Israel, January 1st is a regular work day (except when it falls on a Saturday). There are no public celebrations of the civil/secular new year in Israel. In Israel the Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashana) is celebrated as a national holiday (according to the Jewish calendar).
But you can find civil/secular new year/"Sylvester" parties at hotels for tourists and younger Israelis may have private parties in their homes. Also older Israelis don't really celebrate the civil/secular new year and also don't drink normally alcohol so that isn't an issue for going to work the next day.
Since the influx of the immigrants from the former USSR in 1990s, there are more civil/secular new year's celebrations in Israel, but again they are done in a private fashion (and not on a national basis).

Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 AM

11,361 posts, read 19,020,131 times
Hmm, I didn't think about the Russians (though I did read that the reasoning for it being called "Sylvester" has Eastern European origins), I was thinking it was more Americans, Canadians Brits, French, etc. leading the way. Thanks for the information.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 AM

291 posts, read 833,253 times
About calling it "Sylvester" - the origin of that is Saint Silvester's feast day (the last day of year, Dec 31) in Western Christian calendar. Saint Silvester was a Pope in 4th century.

We call that day Silvestrovo in Croatian.

Happy new year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia