Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 PM

138 posts, read 314,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
There's already a thread about this in the urban planning forum. Personally I can picture having to spend three hours in a traffic jam just to see a tree and working-class people living like this:
More like appealing high rise developments, likely highly efficient (as what is being done elsewhere in the country) combined with effective mass transit (Beijing anyone?), car lotteries (Again Beijing), high walkability (mixed use developments). If these cities do combine this is how it will be done.

This is China after all, they can actually get things done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:16 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Yeah, it does sound fishy. I mean, with that logic anyone could connect close cities together officially on paper and call it a megacity.
I'm not sure yet if Hong Kong and Macau are also included in this "new" mega-city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Also, didn't what I bolded already happened/is happening in China?
Yes.. though the particular city (cannot remember the name off the top of my head right now) was built for "only" 1.2 million people.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post
More like appealing high rise developments, likely highly efficient (as what is being done elsewhere in the country) combined with effective mass transit (Beijing anyone?), car lotteries (Again Beijing), high walkability (mixed use developments). If these cities do combine this is how it will be done.

This is China after all, they can actually get things done.
I can see nothing appealing about that lifestyle.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I can see nothing appealing about that lifestyle.
Combine that with the fact that it is likely the most polluted area in the world. Most of the jobs can be described as "mind-numbing, extremely long hours of factory work". The lack of many human rights and personal freedoms. I mean, not to say someone couldn't like the lifestyle, but it's not exactly what i was born to do or live around with.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 AM

7 posts, read 52,151 times
I think what they mean is a Mega City Complex. That is to link up a number of neighboring cities with high speed trains and highway to forming one giant city cluster. Each of which is serving different but complimentary functions. I’ve heard about the idea while I was visiting Shanghai last October. The objective is to increase efficiency and speed up real estates development between individual cities. Personally, I think it’s gonna be too crowded and noisy. Not to mention the pollution.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,970 times
Not surprised they'd even think of it! They should include Hong Kong in it around 2047 - when the 50 Year "1 Country, 2 Systems" thing is done in their case!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 PM

212 posts, read 399,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Not surprised they'd even think of it!
As I wrote somewhere, Guangdong provice denied this news officially

Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM

221 posts, read 656,330 times
This would be sorta like the ruhr area in germany. A large urban area with no centre

Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
They already have a city with over 31 million people in its metropolitan area. The city is Chongqing.

Chongqing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The municipality was created on 14 March 1997, succeeding the sub-provincial city administration that was part of Sichuan Province. In 2007, the municipality of Chongqing had a population of 31.4 million.[1] It has jurisdiction over 19 districts, 17 counties, and four autonomous counties. With an area of 82,300 km² (31,800 mi²), it is the largest direct-controlled municipality, larger even than one province and an autonomous region, as well as Taiwan.[2] It is possibly the world's largest municipality by population and one of the largest by area.
This city is probably one of the best kept secrets in China. Most people know about the big cities of Shanghai and Beijing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia