U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 PM

10 posts, read 43,154 times

Advertisements

I want to enroll in Tokyo University and I know that they emphasize a lot in Math skills. Math is my favorite subject and is very easy for me; but I read that some teachers from the USA compared the Math taught in Japan with the one taught in the US and the results were that the Math in the US is deficient in comparison with the one from Japan. Tokyo university is the world's second best university in engineering (the first place belongs to a university in Germany). The seniors in Japan prepare themselves the whole year for the entrance exams and even go to cram school. So my concern regarding this is that I might be at disadvantage. Can someone please tell me if there are any books that are used in Japanese high schools that are translated into English. Does the university give specific topics to study or we study everything we can?

If you can answer, I shall really appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 PM

16,253 posts, read 39,923,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniksama View Post
I want to enroll in Tokyo University and I know that they emphasize a lot in Math skills. Math is my favorite subject and is very easy for me; but I read that some teachers from the USA compared the Math taught in Japan with the one taught in the US and the results were that the Math in the US is deficient in comparison with the one from Japan. Tokyo university is the world's second best university in engineering (the first place belongs to a university in Germany). The seniors in Japan prepare themselves the whole year for the entrance exams and even go to cram school. So my concern regarding this is that I might be at disadvantage. Can someone please tell me if there are any books that are used in Japanese high schools that are translated into English. Does the university give specific topics to study or we study everything we can?

If you can answer, I shall really appreciate it.
Your answer is so specific, you probably need to find another American person who has enrolled in Tokyo University to really answer this quesiton.

But, I think, in general, Japanese students probably do generally have much better math skills than most American students.

That being said, as I live and work and teach in Japan. There are plenty of Japanese students who also don't like math, or aren't good in math.

On the other hand, while the U.S. is not well-known for producing high-on-average math skilled people. I am sure that PLENTY of great Americans did excel in math, and in the sciences and everything else.

I think if you really like and do well in Math, than you're probably okay. Plus, depends a lot on your own high school in the U.S. Not all U.S. high schools poorly educate students with math, just like not all Japanese high schools have great math programs.

In short, I think if you like math, and do well in math, you are probably worrying too much. Even moreso if you got accepted into Tokyo University, and I imagine they probably tested you for math among other subjects, and you passed with acceptable marks.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps somehow.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 AM

212 posts, read 368,974 times
If you understand Japanese, “Œ‹ž‘åŠw”Šw“üŽŽ–â‘è‰ß ‹Ž–â‰ð“š—á‚T‚O”N•ª is what you want.

I also found Archives of Past Entrance Exams on Mathematics (Master/Doctor) at Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo.

I believe you know this page The University of Tokyo [For International Students]

Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 PM

6 posts, read 27,552 times
Default M-Sama

I came to this thread just minutes after posting a reply to the other thread you started (on more or less the same subject, so I don't see why you would choose to make two threads).

Now we know of your interest in math! The great secret in your other thread is revealed at last!

Everybody knows the average US high-schooler has bad math skills, compared to the averages of other developed countries. The US also has a remarkable number of winners of the Nobel Prize in math and science. Japan has lots of technical patents but few laureates (and even fewer who haven't lived abroad). Life is complex.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but with claims like this you invite it: "Tokyo university is the world's second best university in engineering (the first place belongs to a university in Germany)." With this statement, you are ranking "To-Dai" above M.I.T. Says who? Educate us, please, by quoting the publication that you are relying on as a source.

As for pure math, if that's your first love, I would suggest Cambridge or Oxford over Tokyo. That is, as long as academic quality really is your only criterion.

PS
I do hope you have carefully considered your choice of "sama" in the latter part of your user name, especially when posting on a subject related to Japan, and don't mind at all how it may be taken by others! This is one of those smaller things it would be useful for you to learn first, before asking strangers to tell you what country you should study abroad in.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Cents View Post
I came to this thread just minutes after posting a reply to the other thread you started (on more or less the same subject, so I don't see why you would choose to make two threads).

Now we know of your interest in math! The great secret in your other thread is revealed at last!

Everybody knows the average US high-schooler has bad math skills, compared to the averages of other developed countries. The US also has a remarkable number of winners of the Nobel Prize in math and science. Japan has lots of technical patents but few laureates (and even fewer who haven't lived abroad). Life is complex.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but with claims like this you invite it: "Tokyo university is the world's second best university in engineering (the first place belongs to a university in Germany)." With this statement, you are ranking "To-Dai" above M.I.T. Says who? Educate us, please, by quoting the publication that you are relying on as a source.

As for pure math, if that's your first love, I would suggest Cambridge or Oxford over Tokyo. That is, as long as academic quality really is your only criterion.

PS
I do hope you have carefully considered your choice of "sama" in the latter part of your user name, especially when posting on a subject related to Japan, and don't mind at all how it may be taken by others! This is one of those smaller things it would be useful for you to learn first, before asking strangers to tell you what country you should study abroad in.

If you analyze it correctly, you shall get to the conclusion that I am asking for two different things. In the other thread I clearly stated that I am in a dilemma, which is to go to Todai or SNU. If you read the other thread correctly you shall get to the conclusion that I am more into Todai than SNU; but I do not reject the possibility to go to SNU. In this thread I am asking what to study for Tokyo Daigaku; since, it is one of my options I have to study for the entrance exams.

My teacher(native english speaker too) studied engineering; and he made an investigation( a professional investigation with specialized people in this field) regarding the best universities in this field and the number of students interested in this field. The results were that the current leading countries in engineering are Germany and Japan. One of other results was that the students in the US are not that interested anymore in this field, which means that the number of students interested in engineering have decreased( I am not saying that there are not students interested in engineering). Other of the results that came out was that MIT has not the first, second or third place. Not only the universities in Germany and Japan have a better rank; Cambridge has a higher rank too. So ´´educate us, please´´, fits you more.

I am studying Japanese; so I know when to apply every honorific word. I like anime and mangas; one of my favorite anime characters uses -sama. So I did it just for fun; you shall know that people that are anime fans tend to do this(not all of them). Whether to study in Todai or SNU is up to me; I am just asking for opinions. Like I have stated, it is not bad to take in consideration the points of view of other people.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 PM

212 posts, read 368,974 times
Quote:
I am studying Japanese; so I know when to apply every honorific word. I like anime and mangas; one of my favorite anime characters uses -sama. So I did it just for fun; you shall know that people that are anime fans tend to do this(not all of them).
You don't have to worry about the usage of sama(様 or さま). They will find it interesting

Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 PM

I am studying Japanese; so I know when to apply every honorific word. I like anime and mangas; one of my favorite anime characters uses -sama. So I did it just for fun; you shall know that people that are anime fans tend to do this(not all of them). Whether to study in Todai or SNU is up to me; I am just asking for opinions. Like I have stated, it is not bad to take in consideration the points of view of other people.[/quote]

Sorry for my grammar mistake; I tend to type really fast. It is not ´´you shall know...´´; it is ´´you should know...´´

Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
If you understand Japanese, “Œ‹ž‘åŠw”Šw“üŽŽ–â‘è‰ß ‹Ž–â‰ð“š—á‚T‚O”N•ª is what you want.

I also found Archives of Past Entrance Exams on Mathematics (Master/Doctor) at Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo.

I believe you know this page The University of Tokyo [For International Students]

Thank you ! I really appreciate it! And yes I know the page for international students!

Old 02-27-2011, 03:26 AM

6 posts, read 27,552 times
Quote:
I am studying Japanese; so I know when to apply every honorific word. I like anime and mangas; one of my favorite anime characters uses -sama. So I did it just for fun; you shall know that people that are anime fans tend to do this(not all of them). Whether to study in Todai or SNU is up to me; I am just asking for opinions. Like I have stated, it is not bad to take in consideration the points of view of other people.

Sorry for my grammar mistake; I tend to type really fast. It is not ´´you shall know...´´; it is ´´you should know...´´[/quote]

One of the signs of growing up in a foreign language is knowing when to display the private exceptionalism of a fantasy world like anime and manga to the "straight" and "boring" public world of international online communication among strangers. I myself have used "ore-sama" on occasion, but always in jest, and in the presence of people who can see from my face and gestures that I am joking. But Ryuji is probably right when he says "they [the Japanese] will find it interesting [omoshiroi]."

I'm sorry if you found some part of my comments rude, but since you don't want to take the time to help me out by telling me how I insulted you, I won't be able to do better next time!

You seem a little defensive about your English too. If that is what upset you about my comments, I can only say that I meant no criticism in that direction--I was merely trying to place your situation in perspective, guessing, based on your English, that you might experience Japanese life or Korean life differently than those whose cultural and linguistic background is "English." Perhaps (and I mean nothing positive or negative by this) the Japanese will not even consider you a "gaijin" in one of that word's less literal meanings, which is, loosely "hakujin." An outsider's national background seems relevant to discussions here about adapting to Japan's or Korea's academic and social life. But if this personal fact (like others you omitted to reveal, such as whether you are still in high school or have already had some higher education) is a private matter that you are unwilling to reveal in this forum, that's fine by me. It is not my intention to pressure you to cross your boundaries of safety.

In any case, I have absolutely no interest in getting you to improve your grammar in an informal post--if you feel comfortable writing the way you write, that's fine by me-I am more interested in the oddities of your position (apparently, last-minute doubts about entering [applying to?] Todai) than the oddities of your English (which I think cannot be explained away by fast typing, but which, more importantly, need no apology in the first place). Like Ryuji, I find your English "interesting" rather than "wrong."

I wish you luck no matter where you choose to study!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 AM

230 posts, read 853,195 times
I don´t want to get off topic or offend, but something about both these threads is bothering me. There is absolutely no way the OP is a native English speaker. The mistakes the OP makes are similar my current and former students' mistakes (native Spanish and Portuguese speakers) and my ex-roommate (native French speaker). There is no amount of "fast typing" that would make someone consistently make these mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia