Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Possible 10k dead, cities in ruins and risk of a multiple nuclear meltdowns. It doesnt get much worse than that, so hard to believe it can get that bad in one of the most advanced nations on earth. No one was more prepared than the Japanese for earthquakes and Tsunamis, so that leads you to believe that other advanced nations would likely fare much worse if those events occured on thier soil. Think United States 2005, hurricane Katrina. Look how bad that went and how unprepared the goverment was. Here in the US we would be a basket case if something like this occured here. No way are we ready for something of that magnitude. Mother nature will always rein supreme, this event just showcases how much we are at the mercy of nature, EVEN with all our technology. I pray the people in Japan can recover quickly, feel so sorry for them.
Hurricane Katrina there was warning.

There was no warning for this.

Japan often has earthquakes, their buildings are designed for this. They are quite prepared. Just not on this scale, and I don't think you can prepare for tsunami ...

News Update: 2000 bodies washed up

Japan Tsunami Warning 14.03.2011 | Fukushima | Japan Earthquake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 10:10 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
The scale of destruction is simply incredible. There's potentially MORE tsunamis possible. For the next two weeks there will be risks of tsunamis and more aftershocks.

I think it advisable for everyone to stay away from the coast line of NE Japan along the Honshuu island.

If worse comes to worst, I would expect tens of thousands of deaths. We're already at ~1500 confirmed, possibly 2000 more discovered just now.

Can't believe this ... take care everyone.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:12 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Hurricane Katrina there was warning.

There was no warning for this.

Japan often has earthquakes, their buildings are designed for this. They are quite prepared. Just not on this scale, and I don't think you can prepare for tsunami ...

News Update: 2000 bodies washed up

Japan Tsunami Warning 14.03.2011 | Fukushima | Japan Earthquake
I knew that the death toll estimates were too low as soon as I saw the aerial footage of the tsunami obliterating everything in its path, and realized that what i thought were boxes and toys were actually houses and cars. It's incredibly disturbing.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I knew that the death toll estimates were too low as soon as I saw the aerial footage of the tsunami obliterating everything in its path, and realized that what i thought were boxes and toys were actually houses and cars. It's incredibly disturbing.
yep... If Kobe was 6000 ... this unfortunately will be more

Shocking images. I know a few Japanese, including those here with family there. quite a stressful time

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-13-2011 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: orphaned material removed

Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 PM

18 posts, read 33,616 times
It looks, from my uniformed perspective at least, that the buildings held up remarkably well from the quake. Here in California, we would be wise to emulate the Japanese engineering that apparently worked as designed.
Like someone above said, I don't think you can do much about a tsunami. And maybe the nuclear designs could use a bit of tweaking.

Prayers to all affected in Japan. They are a tough and resourceful people, but will need all the help they can get.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,265 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oNEI...&feature=feedu

Another explosion at Fukushima

Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm exactly 96 miles away from the nuclear reactor. A friend of mine just calculated it from my exact location. As the eagle flies.
Okay, Tiger Beer, where are you??? No posts from you today, so we're missing our Japan CD reporter and getting a little concerned here. I'm guessing you don't have any power... which is not good... considering how cold it is there.

I think that's one thing they've failed to touch on much on the news reports (only heard it once today on Dateline)... how darn cold it is there... with some snow on the ground... so added to the earthquake, tsunami, nuclear plants/radiation issues and power outages, housing and transportation problems, food, water and gas in short supply,
it's in the 30's there, so they're freezing as well! Geez, it's more than time these peeps got a break or two or a thousand!

Tiger Beer, sure hope you and your family are okay... let us hear from you when you can!

Ryuji, how is your Japan family doing? Have you been able to stay in touch with them?

pirate_lafitte
, what about your friend there? Any further contact?

Anyone else with family/friends there you've been in contact with? Please DO keep us informed! Thnx and blessings to all!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadrvr View Post
It looks, from my uniformed perspective at least, that the buildings held up remarkably well from the quake. Here in California, we would be wise to emulate the Japanese engineering that apparently worked as designed.
Like someone above said, I don't think you can do much about a tsunami. And maybe the nuclear designs could use a bit of tweaking.

Prayers to all affected in Japan. They are a tough and resourceful people, but will need all the help they can get.
I thought the same thing about the tall buildings in the YT video, I think it was in Tokyo. As much as they severely swayed during the quake, it's remarkable they're still standing. It really is a credit to their engineering. The people inside those buildings must've been terrified beyond words.

Unfortunately though, this disaster has claimed who knows how many lives, with many people still trapped under the rubble in areas that are going to be extremely difficult to get to.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I thought the same thing about the tall buildings in the YT video, I think it was in Tokyo. As much as they severely swayed during the quake, it's remarkable they're still standing. It really is a credit to their engineering. The people inside those buildings must've been terrified beyond words.

Unfortunately though, this disaster has claimed who knows how many lives, with many people still trapped under the rubble in areas that are going to be extremely difficult to get to.
A guy who sits near me was on the phone to someone in Tokyo when it hit.

There was a lot of screaming, then the lines went dead.

They are generally use to earthquakes, and from all I have heard from have said this is the worst they've experienced.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Thanks everybody for the links and footage. Horrifying. The one where it comes across the road and then takes out the parking lot is just terrifying. Can you imagine sitting in your car like that? People in Hawaii were sitting on a road 10 yards from the water this week, right when the warnings were sounding. It was bumper to bumper. They are lucky the 23-foot surge didn't hit them.

I have family and friends in both Hawaii and Japan. Hawaii people are OK. Can't get hold of my Japan friends. Most are in Tokyo, so unless they were visiting one of the prefectures, they should be OK. Just sending lots of prayers and light.

Life turns on a dime. If you are safe and warm tonight, and you have food on the table and your loved ones are around you, be grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia