Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
My three sisters are still in Saitama and Tokyo
My Mother, Father and Sister-in-law are still in Tokyo as well. Keep trying to get them to come to the USA and stay with us, or at the least head south to Okinawa and stay with family there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM

212 posts, read 400,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Is it true that many people are leaving Tokyo and going south?
Yes, that's true. I've heard staff at Embassy of Austria in Tokyo will move to Osaka. And many foreigners have left Japan as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
My Mother, Father and Sister-in-law are still in Tokyo as well. Keep trying to get them to come to the USA and stay with us, or at the least head south to Okinawa and stay with family there.
I do know how much you worry about your family! Many people still believe they will be fine in Tokyo or Kantou area, and don't want to leave their home, but who knows what will happen?

I think Nagoya is far enough from Fukushima. If I were you, I'd try to persuade them to take a short trip to Nagoya or Osaka. We'll see how bad the situation will be in Fukushima in a week or so.

I have three sisters, two of them will make a move to Kumamoto tomorrow evening, however, the youngest sister insists she's fine in Saitama

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
One more good news for you, Tiger Beer!

ŠÂ‹«•úŽËüŠÄŽ‹ƒeƒŒƒ[ƒ^ƒVƒXƒeƒ€ shows everything is normal in Niigata as far as radiation is concerned
Incidentally could you check out OSAKA? I doubt if they are getting any of the radiation going that way. But I'd just like to open up the page and view it.

I can't read the script on it, it's all jumbled...I mean to attempt to navigate pages and such.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Incidentally, latest news. Within the last hour, Japan was pounded by several large 6.0 earthquakes. Two of the larger ones were in Shizuoka.

Up here in Niigata, it felt very very big. Our apartment is built to sway, and it seemed to not stop moving. Even 16 minutes later, our apartment will still swaying. We also saw that after the big one, there were two follow up epicenters further up the coast, one of which was in Fukushima.

I don't know if you guys get this info instanteously or not, but you'll probably start hearing about it soon. It seemed so big, my wife and I thought we might be experiencing that 7.0+ that I keep hearing about.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Is it true that many people are leaving Tokyo and going south?
I will on Friday night...HOPEFULLY!

A good friend of mine in Tokyo, he organized for his wife/son to fly to Seoul. Another of my friends, she is flying from Tokyo to Okinawa.

I think it is somewhat happening, and somewhat not. Up here in Niigata, most people seem determined to stay put. At least, it appears that way, maybe I am wrong though. I did meet a Dutch guy yesterday who was bent bigtime to get out of here ASAP, and was going to wait at the airport for as long as it took.

But, for the general massive population of Japanese in particular, they appear to be staying, at least in my observation up here in Niigata.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Yeah, the good news is that even if the radiation levels are 40 times what they naturally occur in nature, you won't be harmed. They have been falling recently in the areas that experienced a spike, so that is a relief.

Simple, and effective means exist, and if anything, should spur folks to create a disaster preparedness kit. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Good news is that radiation appears to be returning to more of a steady-state and will likely fall. And, since it was raining around the plant, that should limit how far airborne debris spreads.

So, for now, just be prepared is what I would say, maybe buy some potassium iodide pills just in case. Stay alert to the news and if worse does come to worse I think your local prefecture will announce it.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times
Quote:
Yes, that's true. I've heard staff at Embassy of Austria in Tokyo will move to Osaka. And many foreigners have left Japan as well.

I do know how much you worry about your family! Many people still believe they will be fine in Tokyo or Kantou area, and don't want to leave their home, but who knows what will happen?

I think Nagoya is far enough from Fukushima. If I were you, I'd try to persuade them to take a short trip to Nagoya or Osaka. We'll see how bad the situation will be in Fukushima in a week or so.

I have three sisters, two of them will make a move to Kumamoto tomorrow evening, however, the youngest sister insists she's fine in Saitama

Hehe I tried Osaka, but my father in law is a Tokyo Giants fan and won't go to Osaka now that Baseball season is starting .

I hope your family stays safe.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Yeah, the good news is that even if the radiation levels are 40 times what they naturally occur in nature, you won't be harmed. They have been falling recently in the areas that experienced a spike, so that is a relief.

Simple, and effective means exist, and if anything, should spur folks to create a disaster preparedness kit. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Good news is that radiation appears to be returning to more of a steady-state and will likely fall. And, since it was raining around the plant, that should limit how far airborne debris spreads.

So, for now, just be prepared is what I would say, maybe buy some potassium iodide pills just in case. Stay alert to the news and if worse does come to worse I think your local prefecture will announce it.
Good news as well.

Snowing here in Niigata...lots of it.

Crazy here these days. Radiation, earthquakes, continued aftershocks, tsunamis.

Just had a few big 6.0 aftershocks in the last hour or so. A friend of mine said the government sent a message that they were expecting them to slow down after tomorrow morning. Not sure if they were the big one's we were expecting, or just because it's been almost 4 days since the big one hit.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Good news as well.

Snowing here in Niigata...lots of it.

Crazy here these days. Radiation, earthquakes, continued aftershocks, tsunamis.

Just had a few big 6.0 aftershocks in the last hour or so. A friend of mine said the government sent a message that they were expecting them to slow down after tomorrow morning. Not sure if they were the big one's we were expecting, or just because it's been almost 4 days since the big one hit.
Tiger Beer,

Good to hear from you and of your scheduled departure to Osaka... sure hope all goes well and you're able to go as planned.

Today's news are primarily centered on the nuclear warnings again... and a bit of panic setting in in Tokyo as you touched on yesterday with food shelves being emptied. China is evacuating its nationals...

Quote:
Thousands of Chinese are reported to be stranded in tsunami and quake hit areas of Japan that are also facing a radiation threat, and China has become the first country to order a mass evacuation of its nationals from the country. The meltdown fear at the Fukushima nuclear power plant has also put the spotlight on China's expanding nuclear power program.
See: China Begins Evacuation of Nationals from Japan | Asia | English

Also, saw some great footage on the awesome culture of the Japanese people... even in these dire circumstances, their strength and grace shines through. On top of that... no looting! Something we could all learn from!

Stay safe, all!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM

593 posts, read 890,323 times
Firstly, the loss of life is horrible including infants,children and elderly and of course anyone who got carried away in the tsunami is scary. My wife and I have a "prepardedness plan" that includes emergency food (Food for Health), Seychelle water filters,crank/batt radio's,flashlights,fire starters,pet pantry etc. This tusami senario points out that even if one is prepared if you house is washed away so goes that idea and (if you and your family survive) the government and said agencies is all you have. A grab and go backpack(s) can help where applicable. I will pray for the Japanese in spite of the stats that suggest 64% of Japanese don't believe in God (many do). They are born basically into Shinto/Buddist faiths yet 55% don't believe in Budda lol! 70-84% don't profess any religion. Is God's wrath being poured out or perhaps I'm being a rude nutty christian . Whatever, it is unsettling especially in light of the fact that the nuclear plants are compromised and so many loved ones are missing. What next?

Das

Last edited by DASULAR17; 03-15-2011 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: formating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia