Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Also, saw some great footage on the awesome culture of the Japanese people... even in these dire circumstances, their strength and grace shines through. On top of that... no looting! Something we could all learn from!

Stay safe, all!
Yep, I love the people of Japan. Amazing people.

Living in Japan, you have NO edginess or fear or anything else like a person feels being in the U.S. Here, you know everyone is going to be good to you, everytime, that no one ever wishes to do you physical harm. Everyone is polite. Safest place in the world - except for this disaster.

But people-wise, it's an amazing country to live and work. I don't want to leave.

That being said, this is physical disaster of montereous proportions. Sad that this has happened to such a nation of people as this.

Anyways, Niigata update. Tons of snow on the ground this morning. Power outages scheduled for later today as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep, I love the people of Japan. Amazing people.

Living in Japan, you have NO edginess or fear or anything else like a person feels being in the U.S. Here, you know everyone is going to be good to you, everytime, that no one ever wishes to do you physical harm. Everyone is polite. Safest place in the world - except for this disaster.

But people-wise, it's an amazing country to live and work. I don't want to leave.

That being said, this is physical disaster of montereous proportions. Sad that this has happened to such a nation of people as this.

Anyways, Niigata update. Tons of snow on the ground this morning. Power outages scheduled for later today as well.
TB, here's a link to Weather Underground for Niigata that may be helpful in providing current weather conditions, temps, wind direction and speed, extended forecasts, etc.

Niigata, Japan Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
My three sisters are still in Saitama and Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
My Mother, Father and Sister-in-law are still in Tokyo as well. Keep trying to get them to come to the USA and stay with us, or at the least head south to Okinawa and stay with family there.
Ryuji, Momotaro,

I know you're worried about your loved ones, as we all are... but you've done all you could from where you are to guide them in the right direction. You've just gotta trust that they will be okay. Easier said than done sometimes, I know. But, hey, they're there, we're here (wherever we are!), so surely they'll do what is in their best interest as far as safety goes. Besides, who wants to miss Baseball?!?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
CNN said the wind is blowing in direction out to the sea, so any radiation fallout shouldn't be going towards Chiba or Tokyo which is good news.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM

212 posts, read 400,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Incidentally could you check out OSAKA?
The page you saw is only for Niigata. And I couldn't find any page like that about Osaka This is what I've found so far: http://sankei.jp.msn.com/affairs/pho...7440108-p1.htm

Seems Osaka's safe!

Quote:
Hehe I tried Osaka, but my father in law is a Tokyo Giants fan and won't go to Osaka now that Baseball season is starting .
Awww... That excludes Nagoya, Osaka and Hiroshima... Where else left? Mie prefecture is the closest and quite safe place from Tokyo I can think of. Is he willing to go there?

BTW, my father is a Giants fan too

Quote:
I hope your family stays safe.
Thanks! I hope your family accepts your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Ryuji, Momotaro,

I know you're worried about your loved ones, as we all are... but you've done all you could from where you are to guide them in the right direction. You've just gotta trust that they will be okay. Easier said than done sometimes, I know. But, hey, they're there, we're here (wherever we are!), so surely they'll do what is in their best interest as far as safety goes. Besides, who wants to miss Baseball?!?
Thanks, BstYet2Be!

Speaking of baseball, Dice-K bounces back with dominating outing: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...=.jsp&c_id=bos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
CNN said the wind is blowing in direction out to the sea, so any radiation fallout shouldn't be going towards Chiba or Tokyo which is good news.
Yeah! Absolutely good news for us! Thanks a lot!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Apparently, the plant is being evacuated. This is clearly a bad sign.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Here's the link to IAEA's website for Earthquake,Tsunami and Nuclear News and Updates for Japan:

See:
International Atomic Energy Agency

Here's hoping you and your family are able to stay warm there with snow and power outages, Tiger Beer. Get to packing, dude!

Stay safe all!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
According to Reuters: As of 12 minutes ago, workers have been allowed to return to the plant as radiation levels have fallen.

Breaking news, latest news, and current events - breakingnews.com

Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
This thread has been great. Thank you to all those updating us. It's so comforting to hear our Japanese C-D'ers are safe! From the bottom of my heart, I hope you stay that way and that Japan recovers from this as soon as possible. I feel so desperately sad for everyone's losses over there.

It's also good to hear real information versus the sensationalist hysteria from our media. I don't say that to minimise the horror that Japan is experiencing but all the focus here is on nuclear fallout, almost shoving aside the deaths and misery from the tsunami because it's not "exciting" enough. It's just so aggravating and more worrying for us as we don't know what to think or believe. I certainly don't want to hear that the Japanese people will have radiation fallout to deal with on top of the horrendous blows they've been dealt so far.

As BstYet2Be puts so beautifully: their strength and grace shines through - that's what I found to be so evident from the videos we see. The strength and grace - so inspiring and shaming as well of our own cultures where in the midst of similar disasters, some can only think of personal gain at other's expense. I wish we could learn from the Japanese.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
The page you saw is only for Niigata. And I couldn't find any page like that about Osaka This is what I've found so far: ã€æ”¾å°„èƒ½æ¼ã‚Œã€‘å ¤§é˜ªåºœã®ç’°å¢ƒæ”¾å°„ ·šãƒ¬ãƒ™ãƒ«ã€€å¤‰å‹•ã ªãå•é¡Œãªã— - MSN産経ニュース

Seems Osaka's safe!

Awww... That excludes Nagoya, Osaka and Hiroshima... Where else left? Mie prefecture is the closest and quite safe place from Tokyo I can think of. Is he willing to go there?

BTW, my father is a Giants fan too

Thanks! I hope your family accepts your advice!

Thanks, BstYet2Be!

Speaking of baseball, Dice-K bounces back with dominating outing: Daisuke Matsuzaka bounces back with dominating outing vs. Tigers | redsox.com: News

Yeah! Absolutely good news for us! Thanks a lot!
Dice-K is dominate when he is on his game. Always been a fan of his.
I think going to he beaches of Okinawa is good .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia