Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I marvel at the mindset over here as well. For better or worse, Japanese seem to work together and help each other out. Most all the stores are running and people are working just like normal. In many ways, this keeps everyone going, and prevents worse catostrophes from occurring. Although, personally I think there is a risk in this as well. But it is immensily helpful for their communities, especially people who can't get away so easily, etc. I mean, everything keeps getting restocked, and buses are on schedule, etc.

I was just marveling walking around here..going to a restaurant and everyone managining to maintain so much order and coolness and collectiveness, and thinking this would NEVER happen in the U.S.

In th U.S., we'd be reporting on half of the businesses being abandoned/evacuated. Massive pandomonium of people just leaving everythng, creating more problems and demands to get the other ones out of the way. PRobably plenty of looting and lawnessness. Additionally, I could quickly envision a scenario of people collecting their guns and possessions and hoarding it up, and getting ready to shoot and kill ANY FELLOW MAN who might want a sip of water. The mindset is just so different than here in Japan than when in the U.S.
I agree, just look at what happened during Hurricane Katrina with widepread looting that was taking place in New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 09:15 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Mod Note:

Please, folks, let's keep this thread strictly centered on the current situation in Japan.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Myself and others have been commenting on how emotionless the Japanese seem to have been portrayed. Of course it has been a heart wrenching experience for them, but I'm impressed with how calm they've been through this disaster.

Japan shows true courage and humanity | Herald Sun

Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
One thing I'm confused about ... the Japanese have basically said that trucks from the police will be spraying water onto the reactors instead of hardened trucks owned by the US military. Why? Could be the Japanese want to "handle this one their own." I could understand that, given their culture. Or it could be logistics, they've had to bulldoze new paths to the reactor to deal with this disaster.

We simply don't know the whole situation. But it appears that it is not getting worse ... let's continue hoping and praying.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
ABC News Nightline just interviewed a nuclear expert and he said this is gonna be inevitable like Chernobyl. He said dumping the water today was like using a squirt gun to put out a forest fire. He recommended the Japanese bring in the Air Force to pour concrete and boric acid over the reactor . Anything else is futile and suicide.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
One thing I'm confused about ... the Japanese have basically said that trucks from the police will be spraying water onto the reactors instead of hardened trucks owned by the US military. Why? Could be the Japanese want to "handle this one their own." I could understand that, given their culture. Or it could be logistics, they've had to bulldoze new paths to the reactor to deal with this disaster.

We simply don't know the whole situation. But it appears that it is not getting worse ... let's continue hoping and praying.
The Japanese just recently, in the last couple of days, asked the US for their assistance. There is now some issues with the US assessment of the situation vice the Japanese assessment. Believe that may have bearing on the issue. As I understand, the US believes the situation is much worse than has been previously been reported by the Japanese gov't and that the containment is not under control as has been reported as well. Time will tell, I guess.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
ABC News Nightline just interviewed a nuclear expert and he said this is gonna be inevitable like Chernobyl. He said dumping the water today was like using a squirt gun to put out a forest fire. He recommended the Japanese bring in the Air Force to pour concrete and boric acid over the reactor . Anything else is futile and suicide.
I'm no nuclear physicist, nor am I a nuclear engineer. But I am an engineer, and I know how scientists think.

But the one thing that we cannot avoid are a few things:

1) Humans are emotional creatures,
2) Humans, even smart ones, have an annoying tendency to fill in gaps in knowledge with speculation and "what has happened in the past will continue happening"
3) The Japanese government nor TEPCO have been completely forthcoming on information.

Given the three issues above, put three "experts" into a room and you'll get three different opinions. Combine it with a highly fluid situation, and you get even more disagreement.

Personally I'm one for the data. The data says, to me, that there have been partial meltdowns but so far the "spikes" in radiation lack the sustained energy output needed to indicate widespread failure. Massive containment failure would be met by continuous and dangerous levels of radiation and so far, relatively speaking, that hasn't happened yet.

There's also more good news in that electrical power is hopefully going to be restored in the next day or two. Doing so will greatly reduce further risk of loss of containment.

But like all scientists I will say that as the situation evolves my opinion will too. Data will set you free. Unfortunately the Japanese gov't isn't releasing all they know.

The good news is friends I have and independent data sources are indicating there is no real threat at the moment. Telling people to leave at this point is just precautionary.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Fro what I have seen with many they say that it is not like Chernobyl because of the containment of concrete and steel which it lacked entirely.The same can be said why 3 miles island did not eqaul Chernobyl.If this design where like Chernobyl then it would already be the same after the expostions.Have not heard anyone that suggested that myself out of like ten I have heard from mnay experts.There are alot more than that that are in fact wrokigo it now you can bet.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 PM

212 posts, read 400,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I've read a news that says Tokyo Electric Power Company employees learned how to operate it at Yokota Air Base.

http://mainichi.jp/select/jiken/news...40068000c.html says
While the US military offered two trucks to TEMPCO 15th March, they would not get close to Fukushima.
I don't blame them though.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,670 times
Anyone working there as of now is thought of a working a suicide mission they are there to delay and let people evaluate only and they are not evaluating far enough. This is a sad day not just for Japan but for the World we are all going to be effected in someway by this disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia