Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times

Advertisements

Here's a collection of videos showing the recent tsunami in Japan, some of which I hadn't seen before. One shows views of a pullout walkway that passengers use to exit planes to enter the terminal. Another shows a towering splash in the background as the waves crash into buildings. The link also includes older footage of the 2004 tsunami in the Indian Ocean. I've kept the link for years as a reminder of how catastrophic events like these can be.

Note: Some of the older footage may be very intense for some viewers.

Tsunami Japan videos - 2011 earthquake tsunami video footage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 05:48 PM

241 posts, read 742,665 times
Not to speak too soon, but I think the nuclear situation is turning towards the better. I'm hoping I can move my return date up a week and go hunting for jobs as soon as I get back, and keep the one I currently have as back up.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post
Not to speak too soon, but I think the nuclear situation is turning towards the better. I'm hoping I can move my return date up a week and go hunting for jobs as soon as I get back, and keep the one I currently have as back up.
We are all hoping the very best for you and for everyone in Japan at this very difficult time.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,384 times
Default Shibata Niigata?

I am part of a postcard exchange group. I just sent a postcard to someone in Shibata Niigata.

How far is it from Sendai? How was Shibata impacted by the earthquake and tsunami?

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 PM

212 posts, read 400,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
9 hours by bus
I was pretty much correct then, hehe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
I've just realized Osaka is far from Niigata and it would take Tiger Beer and his family about 8 hours to get to Osaka even if there is no heavy traffic. So, let us be patient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post
Not to speak too soon, but I think the nuclear situation is turning towards the better.
Yes. The cooling systems of #5 and #6 have been in order now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJudith View Post
How far is it from Sendai? How was Shibata impacted by the earthquake and tsunami?
About 150 km. And almost nothing happened there

BTW, Metric Act of 1866 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJudith View Post
I am part of a postcard exchange group. I just sent a postcard to someone in Shibata Niigata.

Thanks.
Shibata just got a ton of aftershocks. Also, Niigata/Shibata are accessable to the tsunami inflicted areas, whereas they other coast where the tsunamis were hitting, was not so accessable.

On a map, you see see the distance from Sendai. It's almost the same longitude, but on the Sea of Japan side, as opposed to the Pacific Ocean side.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Any ideas from NHK or Japanese press about what is going on in Ishikawa prefecture? SPEEDI (the national radiation information network) suddenly went "under survey" aka censored. Why?

Most worryingly is the idea that something there is going wrong. The Shika nuclear power plant has been closed before for numerous safety violations. I loathe to think if Japan had ANOTHER meltdown... right where prevailing winds would carry the fallout over the most populated regions in the nation.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 PM

385 posts, read 859,056 times
The pain of one part of humankind is the pain of the whole of humankind. And the... human species and the planet Earth are one body. What happens to one part of the body happens to the whole body.
This should remind us of the impermanent nature of our lives. It helps us remember that what's most important is to love each other, to be there for each other, and to treasure each moment we have that we are alive.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:12 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
An 80 yr old woman and her grandson were found alive today at their wrecked home...wow!

Woman, grandson found alive at quake-wrecked home - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110320/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake_rescue - broken link)

Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
An 80 yr old woman and her grandson were found alive today at their wrecked home...wow!

Woman, grandson found alive at quake-wrecked home - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110320/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake_rescue - broken link)
Proof of miracles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia