Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:00 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Glad to see that you're safe. This has been quite a day. I have some friends in Japan and I don't know what has happened to one of them.
I have been communicating with some friends in Japan via facebook..... they are in Tokyo and their phones still aren't working.... so keep optimistic. Your friends may of simply run out of battery power if there is not electricity.... fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
I have been communicating with some friends in Japan via facebook..... they are in Tokyo and their phones still aren't working.... so keep optimistic. Your friends may of simply run out of battery power if there is not electricity.... fingers crossed.
The friend I am worried about is from Yokohama, and today is her birthday. I also sent facebook messages(and a happy birthday wish) to my friends in Japan.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:50 PM

36 posts, read 118,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I have quite a few friends in Tokyo as well. We're updating each other through facebook. Most of them are stranded, as the trains and subways stopped awhile ago. Apparently a lot of them are just walking homeward! Others are staying at their workplace, etc. Just crazy.

I am not in Tokyo, I am actually closer to Sendai (where the BIG ONE hit), but on the other side facing the other ocean. No tsunamis on this side. I'm only about 5km from the ocean, so it's a good thing it's not on this side.

But I'll tell you what, the aftershocks are around 5.0 on the richtor scale, and are hitting every 20 minutes or so! Where I am, they are coming in more around the 2.0 scale...which is quite a bit smaller, but things move nontheless, the lights and glasses of water and such. This is still happening on what is now about 11 hours after the big one hit.

Most everyone I know has emergency kits and everything ready by the door. If we get a real big aftershock that shakes things up quite a bit more, we gotta be ready.

It's been a long day here in northern Japan.
Thanks for the info Tiger Beer, I was wondering how you and your family was..good to hear you are ok...prayers to Japan, as many others are suffering, keep us update please..

Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
I have quite a few friends in Tokyo as well. We're updating each other through facebook. Most of them are stranded, as the trains and subways stopped awhile ago. Apparently a lot of them are just walking homeward! Others are staying at their workplace, etc. Just crazy.

I am not in Tokyo, I am actually closer to Sendai (where the BIG ONE hit), but on the other side facing the other ocean. No tsunamis on this side. I'm only about 5km from the ocean, so it's a good thing it's not on this side.

But I'll tell you what, the aftershocks are around 5.0 on the richtor scale, and are hitting every 20 minutes or so! Where I am, they are coming in more around the 2.0 scale...which is quite a bit smaller, but things move nontheless, the lights and glasses of water and such. This is still happening on what is now about 11 hours after the big one hit.

Most everyone I know has emergency kits and everything ready by the door. If we get a real big aftershock that shakes things up quite a bit more, we gotta be ready.

It's been a long day here in northern Japan.
good to hear you're all right

one of the first thing i thought of was the preparedness of the Japanese...

nonetheless, shocking images & footage.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Get a clue, 1000 times stronger? try 27% stronger.

Also the magnitude is one of three important factors. Others being where it is centred and depth. C-Chruch was centred in the middle of the City. Japan's is 130 kilometres from the coast. Japans is 10 km in depth which is worse than C-Church.
The quake as quoted by scientist is 8000 times stronger then the one in Christchurch.

My thoughts to my family out there and to all those affected.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
tiger beer, posted in hawaii since i know you post there-
tigerbeer,do you need evac or are you holding out alright? we got a sister aircraft (stol) coming in from the sw asia area that will be able to fly direct to the impact area. if you need anything dm me and i;ll give you the aircaft id number and my name to drop if you need help.
tuihamo, sames goes for you.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I just got word that my friend is ok. For some reason I thought she may have died, but she's ok.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
Quote:
Yep, we do over here. I don't know about over there where the epicenter was at.

Real glad we have power and electricity and internet and heat! It is snowing outside...a lot.

Tiger Beer,

So glad to hear you're doing okay for the most part. The news reports are just horrific, so please DO take care!

Oh, and the reports here have been saying that you've had many 5+ and at least three 6+ aftershocks, so yes, you're definitely still getting rocked.

Another worry now is the nuclear plant... see:
Radiation Levels Surge Outside Japan Nuclear Plant - FoxNews.com

Thanks for the updates and keep 'em coming as you're able... you're in our thoughts and prayers, so we DO want to keep hearing from ya!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Location: They call it the "Magic City" but there's nothing magical about it...
14 posts, read 44,412 times
I was devastated when i saw the news of the terrifying natural disasters that hit Japan. I #willprayforjapan and for those who've been affected by the aftermath

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM

212 posts, read 400,098 times
Quote:
I'm in Northern Japan, but on the 'Sea of Japan' side. Tons of aftershocks....things are just rolling.

Over on this side though, no tsunamis...thankfully, as I'm about 5km from the Sea of Japan. (I'm facing Russia/Korea).

That being said...still getting a lot of aftershocks here.
Glad to know you are fine!

I thought you were in Osaka...

--
many thanks to all kind people all over the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia