Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable footage of the quake and tsunami. For those of you in Japan, stay safe and take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 06:59 PM

212 posts, read 400,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I just got word that my friend is ok. For some reason I thought she may have died, but she's ok.
Happy to hear that!

So you got her response via facebook?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM

212 posts, read 400,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Tiger Beer,

So glad to hear you're doing okay for the most part. The news reports are just horrific, so please DO take care!

Oh, and the reports here have been saying that you've had many 5+ and at least three 6+ aftershocks, so yes, you're definitely still getting rocked.

Another worry now is the nuclear plant... see:
Radiation Levels Surge Outside Japan Nuclear Plant - FoxNews.com

Thanks for the updates and keep 'em coming as you're able... you're in our thoughts and prayers, so we DO want to keep hearing from ya!
The nuclear plant is located at the other side of Japan. Besides, there is a mountain chain between the plant and the place at where Tiger Beer stays.

Let's hope Japanese do something to it!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
Happy to hear that!

So you got her response via facebook?
Actually, she posted on her wall thanking everyone.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
And extremely patient and polite to each other.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Just an update. Yeah, tons of aftershocks, some of them quite a bit. The aftershocks are felt over here on my side, the 'Niigata' side. Late last night around 4am-6pm, we had some real big ones with the epicenter right here in the prefecture, some landslides, but the landslides were just the same area, not my location personally.

The nuclear reactor is a serious concern. There are mountains separating us from that side. But I dont know, just don't know the exact implications for that. Was told electricy might go out, and should stay indoors.

The problem is we have snow on the ground everywhere. Housing is so poorly insulated. So, that's actually a bigger concern.

I think everyone is a little on edge...just got candles, batteries, more water. Plenty of people are doing that.

What really gets a person is the loss of a sense of equilibrium. So many aftershocks, it throws your system off. Kind of like a real bad flight with turbulence....and that night when you're trying to sleep...you just feel a bit off.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-11-2011 at 11:29 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
My in-laws said that Odawara was fine but the city did see some damage. They were worried about a tsunami because while the wave would probably not propagate to where the city is thanks to the shelf coming out from Tokyo and into Chiba prefecture, they could see a rise in the water table or a tidal surge. They don't live too far away from a shelter though, in case of an evacuation. The area they live is pretty hilly, so it wouldn't take much to get to higher ground. Did hear some reports of some roads being liquefied from a change in the water table / sinkholes forming.

So far, all my friends are OK!

If anyone is worried about people in the Sendai area or the coasts, try using the Google People Finder, try googling "Earthquake". It pools data from emergency agencies and regular people who report the status of people, and people can post information. Do note though that this is a public database and Google doesn't vouch for the accuracy of it ... so I dunno how much value it really is. But it is something I guess.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 PM

54 posts, read 105,556 times
Tiger Beer -- Our prayers are with you!! Keep posting to let us know how you're doing, and what's going on. Do you have family or friends with you?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:34 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searching4... View Post
Tiger Beer -- Our prayers are with you!! Keep posting to let us know how you're doing, and what's going on. Do you have family or friends with you?
Wife and kid with me.

One co-worker around the corner.

Other co-workers scattered about in the same town, but in the vicinity.

We're in Niigata.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:47 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
^^ Glad to see you were okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia