U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 AM

858 posts, read 2,079,346 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

To the Japanese, our hearts go out to you.

We have our scheduled plan to have our honeymoon in Tokyo at the end of this month and I was wondering should we cancel our trip due to the devastating earthquake.

I know Tokyo is 300 miles from the epic center but is Tokyo affected as well? I don't hear too much about Tokyo but I am worry about the sombering spirits there. Also, we are worry that aftershocks may occur for the next couple of weeks and could happen anywhere even down to Tokyo. The aftershocks seem to be big.

Really appreciated for any advice as we need to make our minds up quick.

Chris
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 PM

5,420 posts, read 8,329,714 times
I would think that taking a honeymoon to a country that's just had a catastrophic disaster might not be such a romantic idea. Wouldn't you rather go to a place where the people will be at their best? Continuing on with your plans to honeymoon there would be a bit disrespectful in my opinion.

How about changing your plans to go to Tibet, or Cambodia, or Thailand, or France or Italy or Spain or something?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:07 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,420,703 times
Maybe it is not a good idea due to the unfortunate timing...

Not about the aftershocks, but about the overall situation of the country. Even though the earthquake was not as bad in Tokyo as in other areas, the country as a whole will need some time to recover, and it is certainly one of the saddest times for them but one of the happiest times for you and your spouse due to your wedding.

Visit Japan on a future date though, it is an awesome country.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,106,990 times
Since you are going to Tokyo you should be ok. The city of Tokyo will be back to business as usual by next week. The recovery will be happening north of there but would not affect your trip. Narita will probably be a bit more busier then normal, but remember Tokyo makes a lot of money from tourism. Japan the most indebt country will welcome you since you bring in money to their country. Just do not plan to travel north of Tokyo while you are there.

If you do not have a hotel reserved or can change, might I suggest Osaka which is not affected at all and is a very very fun city or even go down to Naha in Okinawa and enjoy the beaches and the "southern" Japan lifestyle.

Last edited by Momotaro; 03-12-2011 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: i meant naha

Old 03-12-2011, 01:49 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,326,194 times
I second exploring the south of Japan. Kyoto, Nara, and the hot springs in the area of Hakone will be pure happiness and wonder on your honeymoon.

If you wanted to go north, ... then that might not be such a good idea anymore. Sapporo will be OK and inland areas will be OK, but most likely you'll have to take some trains which will go through devastated coastal regions first. It's a shame because Hakodate is a really nice city to visit. It's doubtful you could go north anyway out of Narita because all the highways and many rail lines have been taken over for aid efforts.

Throughout the middle of the country do expect to see some damage. Old buildings with unstable walls may have collapsed or random buckling of highways, etc.

And do remember to be safe! Tsunamis can occur up to two weeks after the initial earthquake. Most towns have local announcements but are in Japanese. Pay attention to the news reports on television.

So just be alert. Don't let it deter you from traveling.

And, finally, pay attention to the US State Dept. website for travel advisories. Right now as of this moment they are advising against travel to Japan but I expect by the middle of next week it will be back to normal, unless of course you want to go north.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:07 PM

141 posts, read 314,917 times
Living in an earthquake zone myself here in Christchurch, and judging what Ive seen on the news, I think you'll find that Tokyo will be OK. As in Japan, the earthquake damage here has been relatively localised and there are plenty of other parts of the country you can explore - just dont go in the badly affected areas. In my experience there is nothing worse than rubber-neckers perving at the misfortune of others, especially where there have been deaths and people's livelihoods have been badly disrupted.

One thing to note though, aftershocks will continue to rock the area for some time..we were still having them in February from the Sept quake when the second major quake struck us down.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:43 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,358,152 times
I say you should just go, since your tourist dollars will help out their recovery. Plus from the news reports I have been listening too it's mostly the northeast coast of Japan (north of Tokyo) that was hit hard.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 38,433,774 times
I'm living in northern Japan, over in Niigata, right now.

Yes, been getting all the aftershocks for the last 36 hours and experienced the big one as well. Been quite an experience. Actually Tokyo is getting most of the aftershocks as well.

All that being said, I think Tokyo will be absolutely fine one month from now. By then, any structural damage will have been repaired - their is damage all over the place Tokyo and upwards.

But, amazingly a lot of the stuff that effected me up here, the Japanese almost immediately went to work fixing!

Well, in short, I'd go to Tokyo if I were you. THey didn't get the tsunami damage that everyone is viewing. The city probably will have few signs of what happened, I mean, for a tourist.

Come to Tokyo, for sure.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 PM

212 posts, read 355,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
We have our scheduled plan to have our honeymoon in Tokyo
Congratulations on your marriage! You are the happiest one in the world!

You ask a tough question.

You should know there are two nuclear reactors which are somewhat out of control in Fukushima, about 250km away from Tokyo. This is the most uncertain factor so far.

They poured sea water into Fukushima nuclear plant I. This means it won't be workable again. And this implies there might be power shortage in Tokyo. (As I wrote somewhere, my sister and her children in Japan went to bed till 18:00 in order to save some power.)

If I were you, I would wait and see what will happen in the next few days.

Oh, You don't have to worry about aftershocks.

--
Korea's ¸ÀÀÖ´Â Á¤º¸! ½Å¼±ÇÑ ´º½º! - ¼*¿ï½Å¹® and INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily titled their news titles as:

일본 침몰(Japan Sinks)

I appreciate that.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 AM

858 posts, read 2,079,346 times
Thank you everyone for the quick responses!

We are leaning toward not going because we can't stomach the fact that people over there are hurting and that people in Tokyo can still feel the aftershocks which may last for a couple of weeks and up to 7.9. And Ryuji has mentioned about the nuclear reactors' problems. That can create psychological instability if not physical problem.

I guess it's easy to change our plan and not take any risk. There are many other great destinations that we can go honeymoon at.

Best wishes to Japan,

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia