Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM

643 posts, read 1,122,917 times

Advertisements

Another explosion has occurred and are people worried or do they think there will be another Chernobyl?

Radiation has been released but not loads yet and 2 of the reactor buildings has been destroyed/damaged.

Water pumps have not been working to cool down the radioactive materials.

Last edited by Bo; 03-14-2011 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
worried sick!

Just pray that doesn't happen!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
No.

Japan is not a nation barely cobbled together by intense poverty, crippling economic decline and outrageously corrupt government officials.

It is, instead, a first-world nation renowned worldwide for its scientific and technological prowess. It is the exact opposite of the USSR.

The nuclear danger has been vastly overblown, and this is compounded by the fact that so very few people even understand what radiation is. Start talking about beta waves and peoples' eyes glaze over. The dangers are minimal, Japan is chock-full of brilliant scientists and engineers and until the fuel rods roll into the ocean, we will all be fine.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
i'm more worried that this will be successfully used by the luddites/anti-nuclear lobby to block development of future nuclear plants in the US and other countries around the world. these scumbags cannot be underestimated.

most of the news updates i am seeing on this are simply media hysterics that send ppl into a frenzy. haven't seen any evidence that this will end like chernobyl.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Oh, and for the record, the USSR dumped highly toxic nuclear waste wherever it deemed necessary. Including the ocean

Did I mention what our friends in China do with radioactive waste, amongst other industrial byproducts? You take one guess.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:11 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
From the technical stuff I have read from people that know what they are talking about, there is little danger of a Chernobyl type event. The big issue at Chernobyl was using graphite in the reactors which burned for days pouring radioactivity into the atmosphere. The Japan reactors use water, as water doesn't burn and if it gets out of control, they smother it with water. The steam produced has some radioactivity but not enough to cause harm to most people.

This was a massive, massive earthquake and the fact those buildings even stayed intact says a lot.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Oh, and for the record, the USSR dumped highly toxic nuclear waste wherever it deemed necessary. Including the ocean

Did I mention what our friends in China do with radioactive waste, amongst other industrial byproducts? You take one guess.

There are still thousand of people who are being affected by this radiation from them. They literally live near nuclear waste sites which has just been dumped in their local river.

And what do 'our friends' China do?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Another explosion has occurred and are people worried or do they think there will be another Chernobyl?

Radiation has been released but not loads yet and 2 of the reactor buildings has been destroyed/damaged.

Water pumps have not been working to cool down the radioactive materials.
I've been following the story immensily close, as I live 96 miles 'as the eagle' flies from Fukushima Nuclear Plant.

From the sounds of it, it won't be another Chernobyl. That being said, this is NOT good at all either.

It's still BAD...very BAD. I've been reading as much as I can about this, as it directly effects me in a very big way being so close to it. But, from what I can tell, they put a lot of precautionary measures and other things are going on, that it cannot be another Chernobyl.

That being said, maybe the 2nd worst thing next to it. I hate to say that, but it certainly seems that way.

Additionally, we keep getting hit by very large aftershocks. Quite a few of them are in Fukushima. I am not sure if the American media is reporting about those or not. But I feel them everyday. Every aftershock, I immediately get online to see the epicenter and size. These are BIG quakes, and so many are happening right there.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:

the soviets blew up the largest nuclear bomb in history and was so large that they scared themselfs. the japan reactor meltdown is bad yes but not as bas as how much radioactive stuff both the US and the soviets did in the 50's and 60's testing nuclear weapons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cewjeqNdw

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-15-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times
Quote:
No.

Japan is not a nation barely cobbled together by intense poverty, crippling economic decline and outrageously corrupt government officials.

It is, instead, a first-world nation renowned worldwide for its scientific and technological prowess. It is the exact opposite of the USSR.

The nuclear danger has been vastly overblown, and this is compounded by the fact that so very few people even understand what radiation is. Start talking about beta waves and peoples' eyes glaze over. The dangers are minimal, Japan is chock-full of brilliant scientists and engineers and until the fuel rods roll into the ocean, we will all be fine.
Just because Japan isn't poor, doesn't mean that something terrible can happen to them. There are tons of nations "Known for scientific and technological prowess", but bad stuff still happens to them. Disasters don't skip over nations depending on how rich they are. I think many people need to stop with this "utopian" vision of Japan, like everything there is super advanced and perfect; and nothing can happen there. And yes, most people with common sense know what radiation is and understand it.

The threat it real. The danger is real. This may or may not be a full Chernobyl event, but I think that it could be close if they can stop it soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia