U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM

66 posts, read 106,510 times

Advertisements

SDF gives up on dousing No.3 reactor
Japan's Self-Defense Forces have postponed a mission to dump water by helicopter on the No.3 reactor at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, because radiation above the facility has climbed too high for such work.

White plumes started rising from the reactor on Wednesday morning. Tokyo Electric Power Company says the vapor was steam caused by water evaporating from the reactor's storage pool for spent fuel rods, which is heating up.

In an effort to avert the fuel rods' exposure, a Self Defense Force CH47 helicopter took off from the Sendai base hauling a large container of water on Wednesday afternoon.

But the plan was aborted after radiation levels above the plant were found to have largely exceeded 50 millisieverts -- the maximum permissible for SDF personnel on a mission.

The Self-Defense Forces say it is ready to recommence work when radiation levels and other conditions allow.

NHK WORLD English

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM

295 posts, read 1,089,465 times
potassium iodide

Old 03-16-2011, 12:39 PM

66 posts, read 106,510 times
This is like a 20-car accident happening in slow motion. Evacuation radius increased. All cell phone call traffic to be reduced by 50-80%. Super rich fleeing like rats on a ship.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:15 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,209,710 times
Default Wind power killed more eagles than DDT.

A 9.0 earthquake and resulting flood in 40 year old plants.
When the dust settels this disaster will clearly demonstrate the safety of necular power production in a worst case situation.
Have your cow.
Were going nuclear.
Cheap/safe/green

Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,205,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
When the dust settels this disaster will clearly demonstrate the safety of necular power production in a worst case situation.
Have your cow.
Were going nuclear.
Cheap/safe/green

What??????????

Safe??? Maybe in Mars... Or any other place far away from me...

Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM

16,092 posts, read 38,577,134 times
It's 7am here now in Niigata Japan - I just woke up.

That story hit the news about 3pm or so yesterday. Apparently it was true for 45 minutes, than they went back in there and started working again.

However, I noticed all day, that a source I regularly check my email, yahoo.com, left that up there on their front page all day long.

In short, it happened, but 45 minutes later, they went back in. Apparently radiation count spiked briefly, than went back down again, and they went back in again.

Still a ton of things happening again today, I am sure. But that story is an old one, and short-lived one.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,692,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Have your cow.
Were going nuclear.
Cheap/safe/green
Tell me, are you having any other delusions worth noting?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:46 PM

32,649 posts, read 51,315,106 times
supposedly the electric power line being rebuilt will allow the electric pumps to start their activity--
assuming the water pipes are still working from the earthquake and the pumps themselves are not too far gone from the earthquake to funcition either

there is SO MUCH misinformation on the news--web sites post info like it is new when it is two days old--
having Japan operating on a different day than we in the US are reading the info makes it additionally confusing...

I am not happy with the German nuclear power guy who basically made an announcement of the disaster's situation and then was contradicted by other sources--making him sound like Chicken Little

I have a real problem with how this information is being released--
frankly I wish there would be a total news blackout except for official sources who KNOW what they are talking about vs news people who just want to get their shoes and nose in trouble...

Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 PM

5,990 posts, read 12,221,413 times
I pray to God this doesn't get any worse.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 PM

16,092 posts, read 38,577,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
supposedly the electric power line being rebuilt will allow the electric pumps to start their activity--
assuming the water pipes are still working from the earthquake and the pumps themselves are not too far gone from the earthquake to funcition either

there is SO MUCH misinformation on the news--web sites post info like it is new when it is two days old--
having Japan operating on a different day than we in the US are reading the info makes it additionally confusing...

I am not happy with the German nuclear power guy who basically made an announcement of the disaster's situation and then was contradicted by other sources--making him sound like Chicken Little

I have a real problem with how this information is being released--
frankly I wish there would be a total news blackout except for official sources who KNOW what they are talking about vs news people who just want to get their shoes and nose in trouble...
Yeah, that's my feeling as well. Too many scare and worst-case scenarios. I think the media is grasping at the scare stories.

There are legit concerns though, for sure as well. So, it's confusing, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia