Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,189 times

Advertisements

Hello, my cousin is planning a high school AFS trip to India to learn Hindi, after his brother went to Egypt and I went to China. I was wondering, is Delhi a safe place to visit for an American high school student. My cousin is smart and not likely to get in trouble, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, what is good to do or see in Delhi? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
If your cousin is blonde-haired, there may be some minor problems.

I was in Delhi back in 1996, with my blonde-haired friend, and she found it very annoying, after awhile, particularly walking around Old Delhi, as for some mysterious reason, there were men who merely wanted to touch her, as she stood out in contrast to all those black-haired Indians there. Someone suggested it was her merely being blonde that intrigued them. I really don't think they meant any harm, she was merely a curiosity to them.

Other than that (this was back in 1996) I never felt unsafe anywhere in Delhi or even Kolkata, where I even walked into the slums.

I can't say what it's like today over there. Probably not much different. When it really comes down to it, I've always felt
safe in any third world country I've been to.

Last edited by tijlover; 01-25-2011 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
India is rather safe for a poor country. One thing you have to know about India is that the major cities of India are awfully busy and can seem very chaotic to someone who isn't accustomed to the sheer amount of people going about their business. Delhi is a rather bland city but there are plenty of sight seeing spots like the Lotus Temple or Ahkshardam. If your cousin is interested in seeing and experiencing "Old India" he can take a short train ride to Jaipur. It would probably bee a good idea for your cousin to mentally prepare himself for the fact that he or she is going to see a lot of poverty, it often rattles first time visitors.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 PM

425 posts, read 653,317 times
It's more or less safe but it smells like death and sewage.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Update: He managed to get accepted, but it is to Pune instead.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
Pune is supposedly a pretty dull city, it's also hot year round over there too. Winter in Pune is like July in South-Central Florida.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,555 times
India seems relatively safe although I don't know from firsthand experience. But that's what I've heard.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Pune is supposedly a pretty dull city, it's also hot year round over there too. Winter in Pune is like July in South-Central Florida.
How hot compared to the normal 90+ degree Fahrenheit weather in Utah? More humid during June/July?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Pune is WAY better than delhi, he should consider himself lucky. It might be a little bit more dull, but pune has some very cool museums and hillstations. Delhi isn't bihar by any means, but it isn't a place you wanna venture outside alone. Plus he can take a 3 hour train to Mumbai. Although, is pune really the place to learn hindi? Marathi is the main language there.

Make sure he realizes what he's getting himself into, India's poverty is a whole new level... you can't really explain it unless you see it.. is he very interested in foreign culture and/or seeing 3rd world countries? Remember, India makes South America seem like its paved with gold streets and I'm not exaggerating.

Besides my standard "india warning", its an interesting place besides the poverty, the food is unlike anything you see here (unless you go to an indian restaurant) and it is quite interesting to see such a huge country highly unaffected by westernization. So many other asian countires are MUCH more westernized than India.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:03 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
How hot compared to the normal 90+ degree Fahrenheit weather in Utah? More humid during June/July?
The heat in India is overhyped, I went in the "heat wave" and didn't have problems at all.. needless to say I was used to miami summers with high humidity, but come on, most americans face high summer temperatures.. its not the end of the world. Unless he's going to Kuwait he's not going to have problems with the weather. Most restaurants are air conditioned upstairs, roll the window down in the cab and get an air conditioned room and its easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia