U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 PM

94 posts, read 215,733 times

Advertisements

Hey guys first post here.

I am going to study abroad at Sichuan University in Chengdu, China next year.

I have a few questions for anyone who's been there or is knowledgeable.

I haven't taken any Mandarin courses, how lost am I going to be? How common is English spoken, mainly among the students at Sichuan University. I'm aware that most people won't speak English but I'm hoping College aged kids might. I am worried that no one will really speak English and I won't be able to make friends.

What do you have to say about Chengdu? Boring? Fun? Good for partying? Price of food/drinks?

Any other info about the city or area?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM

870 posts, read 1,432,754 times
You should certainly learn at least basic Chinese before you go. You have plenty of time to learn basic Chinese, and it is not as hard as others will lead you to believe.

I know Chengdu has good tourists sites, but I've never been to that city. I did have a foreign exchange student from Chengdu, who actually went to the high school adjacent to Sichuan Univetsity. All he would tell me was that Chengdu isn't as hot as Utah, which they complained about constantly.

加油!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 PM

388 posts, read 781,450 times
I couldn't agree more with Kangrui more, learn basic Chinese ( Mandarin ) before you go, it'll help a lot, yes some will speak English but not as many as one would think.
Food and drink are very cheap in China, just DON'T drink the water with out boiling it first, even the Chinese do this.
The basic food in Chengdu is going to be a little to a lot spicy.
As far as night life, haha, you'll have a good time at the clubs and KTV around the University, also if you like to sight see that is one of the good things about Chingdu, it is a mix of old world and new world China, on a side note, the Chinese take education to a higher level, more so then most other nations, if you are messing up, you'll know about it real fast, good luck, have fun and study hard.
Buddha bless.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Awesome reply's guys, exactly what i was looking for .

Do you guys know if there are a lot of foreigners there?

How would you compare Chengdu to Shanghai or Beijing?

Will i be able to take a bullet train from Chengdu to say, Shanghai?

Thanks !!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 PM

2,934 posts, read 5,026,310 times
i like chengdu. lotsa cewl sht there

i dont spak any chinese didnt have a problem

dont listen to these nobs they straight tripiin

Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez Mode Pls View Post
Awesome reply's guys, exactly what i was looking for .

Do you guys know if there are a lot of foreigners there?

How would you compare Chengdu to Shanghai or Beijing?

Will i be able to take a bullet train from Chengdu to say, Shanghai?

Thanks !!
I'd assume that Chengdu has a fair amount of tourists, though foreigners are still likely to be stared at in almost every region of China.

Chengdu is less cosmopolitan than Shanghai or Beijing, but this can be a positive because it means more exposure to the Chinese.

There is only high-speed rail between a few Chinese cities and Chengdu is not one of them. There is certainly rail transport between Chengdu and the bigger cities in the east, but not at bullet train speeds.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post

Why would you not at least try to get a basic feel of the language? And I'm no "nob(?)" as I've spent about two months in China. When I went my first time, I spoke NO Chinese, but after learning Chinese, my second trip was significantly better. It is no fun to be in a country and have no way to communicate with the local people.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Okay damn I was hoping I could just ride some train around and check out more of china and maybe even surrounding countries.

Any thoughts on the train that goes from China to Europe? Super off topic question because I doubt I would do that but it sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post

I assume this is trolling?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,288,158 times
Quote:
I assume this is trolling?
Foadi's other posts seem to be genuine, and it appears that he is knowledgeable about the places he speaks of. Although he might use different criteria from yours in judging a destination.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 38,292,222 times
Quote:
Hey guys first post here.

I am going to study abroad at Sichuan University in Chengdu, China next year.

I have a few questions for anyone who's been there or is knowledgeable.

I haven't taken any Mandarin courses, how lost am I going to be? How common is English spoken, mainly among the students at Sichuan University. I'm aware that most people won't speak English but I'm hoping College aged kids might. I am worried that no one will really speak English and I won't be able to make friends.

What do you have to say about Chengdu? Boring? Fun? Good for partying? Price of food/drinks?

Any other info about the city or area?

Thanks!
I visited Chengdu, and it was about 8 years ago, I think. This might be outdated now.

I found it a bit boring for nightlife, as it was a bit smaller than much larger Chinese cities. That being said, the city is nicer than others by Chinese standards, and the women are strikingly beautiful - said to be some of the most beautiful in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or