Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think that people who insist on putting a "V" between them will make a war inevitable.
Yep, you just nailed it.

There is something I just didn't like about that original post...and it's basically the 'V'.

Co-existance is what's going to bring us to 2211. Not "V's".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Think about what has happened in the past 200 years.

USA fought a second war against Britain (War of 1812).
The English Empire was the largest and most powerful empire the world had ever seen and would continue getting stronger for a good 100 years more.
China was a feudal backwater.
Japan was too, but 50 years later, the Meiji restoration started Japan's rise in the East as the first modern Asian nation empire.
Most European nations were monarchies or constitutional monarchies.
The Spanish Empire was in the waning years of its power.
Steam Engines were not even optimized.

Since that time we can travel halfway around the world in 17 hours. Back in the 1800s, it took 17 months at best.

Who knows what will happen in 200 years?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,889 times
I predict Palau will be a superpower in 200 years.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,394 times
My current girlfriend is Chinese and she is from Shanghai. I try to visit her as a often as possible and love all that she has shown me about her homeland china. Its such a diverse country, and they are much more of a free country than the western media portrays them to be. There is definitely a momentum that is pushing china to modernization, and when you go there you can feel it.

Yes, they are behind the USA but i believe that they are catching up at an incredible pace. The one thing about the chinese is that they are willing to sacrifice for the greater good for their country. Most Americans these days wouldn't even fathom this idea and it is why in my opinion China will surpass us.

Hardworking people, that treasure education, and have incredible skills managing money, there is no doubt that China will be a top 2 power in 100 or 200 years.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM

241 posts, read 742,665 times
Both countries are disasters waiting to happen. I think your best bet is in a smaller (in comparison), off the radar developed country. In the east, Korea or Japan, in the west, Canada and northern Europe.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM

241 posts, read 742,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Yes, they are behind the USA but i believe that they are catching up at an incredible pace. The one thing about the chinese is that they are willing to sacrifice for the greater good for their country. Most Americans these days wouldn't even fathom this idea and it is why in my opinion China will surpass us.

Hardworking people, that treasure education, and have incredible skills managing money, there is no doubt that China will be a top 2 power in 100 or 200 years.
Americans are among the most productive workers in the developed world due to every place being understaffed. The rest are unemployed looking desperately for work. Working at McDonald's and Subway doesn't count as sacrificing for one's country either. If productive jobs existed, Americans would be working in them. The Chinese or any other nationality are also not inherently better students, they have a better education system (at least in the areas they wish to show to the public). An education system built by government, not private companies hiring poorly qualified, underpaid newbies as is increasingly the case in the US. Also, there's no way Americans can compete in the race to the bottom on wages because earning the equivalent in the US means being homeless, where as in China they can live at least a lower class life or better.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:00 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
China has 100 yrs worth of growing pains in their future. They have a nation of people who can't afford to buy the things they build/make. Soon their workers will start demanding better wages, which will lead to huge problems in their economy. Because of the one world economy there will never be a war between China and the U.S. or between China and anyone really. I can keep going but I think China is a long way away from being number 1 in anything other than population.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM

385 posts, read 859,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Demographically China is in deep doo doo.

The one child policy has not helped their future. So many women babies were aborted and drowned in rural areas because parents wanted a boy for their one child(unless you paid penalties) that they have a huge inequality of men to women ratio. On top of that their population is aging quite a bit.

So by 2050 China is going to be a very old country in terms of average age and the USA will still be a pretty happening place due to it's birthrate.

China has a lot of problems still with infrastructure, health care(which is nonexistent in most cases) and environmental damage. And then also their government is corrupt and I think at some point there will be another revolution.

I found the best way to really find out about China is to read motorcycle trip reports from riders around the world that have ridden tens of thousands of miles around the country and taken thousands of photos as well as writing about their travels. My understanding of China is about a 1000 times better reading those reports rather than what the lamestream media cranks out.
My way of knowing China is going there for a few months a year for the last 3 years, you want to know a country, go live there, you'll find out more about any country this way in a short time, reading about some one elses trip is not being there and learning for ones self, your just reading about what the other person decided to write about and show in photos, before anyone decides anything about any country, live there for awhile, then make your own mind up about what YOU think about a country.
Yes the Government there is corrupt, but so is the U.S Government, just like any Government.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:28 PM

385 posts, read 859,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
My current girlfriend is Chinese and she is from Shanghai. I try to visit her as a often as possible and love all that she has shown me about her homeland china. Its such a diverse country, and they are much more of a free country than the western media portrays them to be. There is definitely a momentum that is pushing china to modernization, and when you go there you can feel it.

My new bride is also Chinese and from Shenyang, I see alot of what your saying also, we travel a lot in China and see a very diverse country and people, if china in like 20 years would change thier one child rule and if the U.S. would get off it's lazy ass, then both countries will share the top spot.
And that "V" between the two countries is really irritating.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
would you not count the United States and Canada as one super nation and consider North America as one giant super economy and super power... since we share the same economy in terms of trande, Military Defense (NORAD, NORTHCOM, NATO) and share the same model on foreign trade policy.

China needs North American raw materials (oil, natural gas, coal, timber, raw minerals and raw metals) to build the cheap stuff they then ship back to us that we buy in both the US and Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia