Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:45 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
I always amazed at how "mixed race" people are automatically black in so many minds. That's probably one of the things that is contributing to the downfall of the U.S. A number of other countries have abandoned ethnic statistics since they are automatically racist.
The problem in the USA as far as race is concerned is that it has historically failed to provide an environment where all ethnicities who are citizens of the USA are treated fairly and equally. Last time I checked, the USA imported slaves into its nation. That is the only reason Blacks are here in the first place(including me). My ancestors had no choice. They were brought here as slaves. Even when Black people were free, they were not treated fairly. The 14th amendment made former slaves citizens. However, they weren't treated as citizens. They were treated as second class people. When people feel alienated, they are less likely to feel like said country is theirs. I would say it has more to do with how people are treated.

If you ship people to a nation against their will, then treat them poorly for 300 years, there will be anger and resentment and alienation. When people are alienated, this cannot lead to anything good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 01:10 PM

221 posts, read 656,359 times
200 years jesus.

Anything could happen!!!!!

We could maybe try and predict the next 50 years somewhat accurately, but 200 years is just too much.
Nobody would have guessed what this world would look like in 1811!!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM

81 posts, read 190,348 times
To look into the future 200 YEARS from now is absolutely ridiculous. We can do 10 or 20 years. Past that is all fantasy.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I agree... there is no way to predict anything in 200 years..
maybe we can stick to the next 5-10 years? the conversation would be much more interesting.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:38 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The problem in the USA as far as race is concerned is that it has historically failed to provide an environment where all ethnicities who are citizens of the USA are treated fairly and equally. Last time I checked, the USA imported slaves into its nation. That is the only reason Blacks are here in the first place(including me). My ancestors had no choice. They were brought here as slaves. Even when Black people were free, they were not treated fairly. The 14th amendment made former slaves citizens. However, they weren't treated as citizens. They were treated as second class people. When people feel alienated, they are less likely to feel like said country is theirs. I would say it has more to do with how people are treated.

If you ship people to a nation against their will, then treat them poorly for 300 years, there will be anger and resentment and alienation. When people are alienated, this cannot lead to anything good.
Big rep from white poster.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcityluvn View Post
In fact China owns about 20% of all US treasury holdings!!!! (One can say they own 20% of the US to some degree, but not really). The US still needs to pay back this money to China WITH INTEREST. On top of that the US economy is growing at about 1.5% while China is growing more close to 10%.

United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In fact China owns almost 30% of US debts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/bu...pagewanted=all

You can also see how fast it grow here:
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...uments/mfh.txt

Old 09-05-2011, 12:25 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
As far as the US is concerned, I believe the next ten years will be crucial for them. If a tea party influenced Republican party comes to power in the next presidential election, I believe it will be devastating for the US.
If you look at the tea party's hostile attitude toward social security, medicare & medicaid, plus their stance on tax reductions for the rich, could cause poverty levels in the states to soar.
I just can't see America going forward when they are so hopelessly divided along political lines.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 AM

6 posts, read 15,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You really cant make 200 year projections. Too far in the future. 5,10,15,20, maybe even 50 years you can make.
True but you can make a guess based on what has been happening.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
As far as the US is concerned, I believe the next ten years will be crucial for them. If a tea party influenced Republican party comes to power in the next presidential election, I believe it will be devastating for the US.
If you look at the tea party's hostile attitude toward social security, medicare & medicaid, plus their stance on tax reductions for the rich, could cause poverty levels in the states to soar.
I just can't see America going forward when they are so hopelessly divided along political lines.
I believe the same thing. I know there are quite a lot of devoted Republicans on these boards, but I believe the course they've taken the last decade is down-right extremist. I believe they're endangering the future of the USA. And these words come from a conservative that's always appreciated the United States and it's role in the world of the twentieth century.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
One of my oldest friends who is a republican and lives in Austin Texas, has told me that he is re-locating to Vancouver.
He said that he can't bear to watch the US tearing itself apart anymore. In Texas he told me, conservatives have even been re-writing the history books with a conservative & christian fundamentalist bias.
My friend will be sorry to leave Austin, he was born there, but he's simply had enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia