Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM

908 posts, read 1,661,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think that people who insist on putting a "V" between them will make a war inevitable.

The United States has 5-times the population and productivity of Great Britain. How come we don't have to think of "USA V. UK" and be in competition with them for the past 200 years? Why can we develop cooperatively with some people and not with others?

None of your points have any significant impact, even though they might reflect a truth. The current sex-ratio for persons under 15 is, for China 1.13 and for USA 1.05. If China discontinues their social policy of discouraging girls survival, those will even out in 15 years, since all future births in China will be the same ratio as in the USA.

When you consider that it costs $400K to raise an American child to the age of economic productivity, China will be avoiding a huge cost by not needing to raise so many children. It will cost the USA $30-trillion just to deal with our unproductive kids, not even counting those in Juvie, and we don't even have jobs for a lot of their parents, so I don't think a smaller number of children will hurt China all that much.

The USA has destroyed about 90% of its forest, and most cities can't even make their water drinkable with modern treatment facilities, so we're not all that far ahead of China, environmentally. Have you noticed there is only one industrial country in the world in which health care is "nonexistent" for a large segment of the people: USA.

I've been across China, on rickety buses on gravel roads, but not on motorcycle. I love the country, I love the people. I hope they don't make the same mistakes America made, but I fear they will.
sorry, that 400k to raise a child is pure bogus. only takes that much if you are a nitwit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,803,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
sorry, that 400k to raise a child is pure bogus. only takes that much if you are a nitwit.
I thought it was about $250K.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:50 PM

221 posts, read 656,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristan View Post
"Always" is a long, long time.

Given enough time, empires fall, nations dissapear, and even languages fade away.
Nothing lasts forever!!!!! Languages and nations have been here for maybe 20 thousands years. The universe has existed for 14 billion go figure.

The earth will fade away, so will our sun. Everything ends, even america.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
Sounds about right, if you consider that it is not only the costs the family has, but also health insurances, schooling, universities,... But of course all of that will usually pay off when the child is a grown-up and working. I've heard similar things for children in Germany. Not sure about the absolute numbers, but it was very high.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Sounds about right, if you consider that it is not only the costs the family has, but also health insurances, schooling, universities,... But of course all of that will usually pay off when the child is a grown-up and working. I've heard similar things for children in Germany. Not sure about the absolute numbers, but it was very high.
In Belgium we have a saying: 'Every child you raise costs you a house'.
Of course, there are a great many different type of houses, but I take you get the picture .

Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
You can't really compare the two, they are vastly differently economically. China is the origin of manufacturing for almost all our goods, which is scary. If anything were to happen to trade with China Walmart would be almost empty! This situation can't continue forever. The problem with mass production in the capitalist system is that higher output and efficiency means lower wages or less jobs. This economy can't sustain itself. The Chinese are now envying the Western consumerist lifestyle, which was excessive, environmentally and socially degrading in the first place and both nations are going to fall because of this.

If you look at stats like economic output, GDP etc then yes, China seems to be on the rise while the US is stagnating. But on the whole Americans still have it lucky, the average Chinese is still considerably poorer, but true Africa-like poverty is getting rarer. I've been to China and yes the news always shows the flashy new development...most of China still looks like the US in the 50s. China seems to be transitioning from being a developing to a developed nation.

What I hope is this imbalance between the rich and poor nations will somehow be rectified.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 AM

908 posts, read 1,661,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I thought it was about $250K.
For just ONE thing, your kid can go to school for free or super cheap starting with a community college, getting an associate transfer degree, then transfer to a 4 year state college for their bachelor's. ALL on financial aid. If the parents are poor especially. cost to parent: practically nothing. Even less, if the kid starts when they are 22+ and no longer living at home. What's wrong with working for a few years first? nothing. Tons of older people are in college these days.

for another thing: it doesn't HAVE to cost all that, people can size down on most everything , and live simply. With all the basics covered. For far less. I'm sorry but dummies always need more money than smart people, because they have no clue how to get by, or do well, on less. I don't mean do without- but do well with less. Most idiots have no clue how to make a $100 outfit for 10 bucks, etc. and do it in about 3 hours..... shop for the foreclosed house that costs about $600 a month for a decent four bedroom.... catch my drift? but so many people think money is everything. It certainly isn't if you have a brain.
sorry, i'm just so sick of people thinking that bull they hear is somehow the gospel truth. it isn't.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
In 200 years my great great great grandchild will be living in some huge space station like the death star from star wars. Trust me some amazing discovery will happen before than that will cause a huge shift in population

Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 PM

19 posts, read 44,973 times
china wil have the more alies
including all africa, south america, eastern europe and indian subcontinents

Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM

12 posts, read 45,112 times
Default China mainland should be a second Europe in Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post
"The United States of America" V "The People's Republic of China" for the next 200 years (2011-2211)

2 World Superpowers for the next 200 years no I did not include India there are to many risk and problems in India to become one.

USA have 309 Million people right now USA have $15,227 Trillion.
PRC have 1.34 Billion people right now PRC have $6,515 Trillion.

What do you think will happen? I will post my thoughts once their is 30 Comments.
I dont think PRC will last long. I will not mention much on US because the US has a good political system that the country can adjust herself to be well in the long run while the PRC is still ruling by its unique commie party which is now unable to mediate the discontent from several autonomous areas, corruptions, AND the problem between rich people and the poor is more and more imbalanced without a good social security system that will cause to disruption and lead to a weak government of China (As we can see now the social change is accelerating; So many unstable things arisen from the China mainland (both of rural and urban areas), a series of recent wave of uprising, insurrection happened that nominated as “jasmine” revolution; Stagflation is found around their domestic economy...)

Once this happens, China central government will lose power in their territory controlling and turn the nation into several smaller nations like Europe! About from 5 to 10 major people (non-han/sino-based) within the china mainland will declare as independence for e.g Gvangjsih, Uyghur, Huizú, Buryat, Oriat, Manchu, ****ien and Tibetan

Regardless what I have just mentioned above, The PRC shall be Ok if the US sells….. Vietnam to PRC again (I will raise this topic in another time)..

Later

Tommy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia