Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:28 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

SHENZHEN, China, Aug. 9 — At least 20,000 police surveillance cameras are being installed along streets here in southern China and will soon be guided by sophisticated computer software from an American-financed company to recognize automatically the faces of police suspects and detect unusual activity.

Starting this month in a port neighborhood and then spreading across Shenzhen, a city of 12.4 million people, residency cards fitted with powerful computer chips programmed by the same company will be issued to most citizens.

Data on the chip will include not just the citizen’s name and address but also work history, educational background, religion, ethnicity, police record, medical insurance status and landlord’s phone number. Even personal reproductive history will be included, for enforcement of China’s controversial “one child” policy. Plans are being studied to add credit histories, subway travel payments and small purchases charged to the card.

China Enacting a High-Tech Plan to Track People - New York Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:03 AM

12 posts, read 55,131 times
is it?though i live in Shenzhen ,but it's beyond urban area,which is full of various kinds of
comanies.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,524 times
Can't say I'm suprised at all. It IS china after all.

I'm suprised the US hasnt done anything like that yet...

Old 08-13-2007, 08:18 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Try plugging "Real ID" into an internet search engine. You may be surprised by what you find.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:16 AM

99 posts, read 351,137 times
Default No good

There is no good reason to have a camera every 10 feet everywhere in
the country. We are getting pretty bad here too. I really despise all those
cameras on top of street lights to "catch red light runners". Even 40 miles
outside of the city I saw them on every single new traffic light. If they sent
me a ticket with a picture of my car running a red light, I would do the old
send them a picture of a check thing!!! Hilarious

Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
True criminals, with an abundance of creativity, imagination, intelligence, will always rise to the challenge, and have the last laugh! No group of people stimulates technological advancement more than this crowd!

I sometimes wonder if the true criminals aren't heading up the high-tech companies, helping to make the last technological invention obsolete in just a matter of time. Then? More technological inventions to counteract the last technological invention!

And just when you think you've been cornered for the last time!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
So, Chinese technology is catching up with the rest of the industrialized world. We call China a a terrible police state, because we see their police copying what our police are doing.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I'm suprised the US hasnt done anything like that yet...
It already has. They just don't tell you about it. You live in the same region I do. Those "gunfire detector" cameras they have installed in Harrisburg and York, have microphones on them that can listen in to anyone in real-time who's passing by. Most major cities in the U.S. have cameras everywhere. Still it's not the surveillance nation that the UK is, yet, but it's getting there. It's no surprise the Chinese is coming up with an ID card that you must have on you at all times to buy or sell, to live. The Chinese police state is the model for the US

Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataman1 View Post
There is no good reason to have a camera every 10 feet everywhere in
the country. We are getting pretty bad here too. I really despise all those
cameras on top of street lights to "catch red light runners". Even 40 miles
outside of the city I saw them on every single new traffic light. If they sent
me a ticket with a picture of my car running a red light, I would do the old
send them a picture of a check thing!!! Hilarious
A law-abiding friend of mine got a letter from a gas station yesterday. Obviously she forgot to pay and just drove off the other day, in hindsight she even remembers. Seems some cam caught her and they tracked her down. But they were nice and asked her to pay so they don't have to tell the police.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
A law-abiding friend of mine got a letter from a gas station yesterday. Obviously she forgot to pay and just drove off the other day, in hindsight she even remembers. Seems some cam caught her and they tracked her down. But they were nice and asked her to pay so they don't have to tell the police.
If that was in the US, they probably would have SWAT teamed her while dressed in battle gear with ski masks obscuring their faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia