Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:27 PM

120 posts, read 313,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

Still everything I've heard from her, and elsewhere, they're pretty positive on the US and Americans.
Maybe not so much in Okinawa though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Watch the movie 'Lost in Translation', although it's only a movie, it'll give you some insight.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM

790 posts, read 1,732,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
It's a nation of 120 million people so you're going to get a range of opinions naturally, even a nationalist march if you're lucky.
I got to walk past a nationalist march the first day I was there.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Some of the "suspicions" Japanese people have toward Americans derive from their impressions of the US via Japanese media, as well as translated/dubbed American films.

The US is known in Japan as an interesting place, but also more "chaotic," with a lot of crime, and the assumption is that Americans as a people are probably - on the whole - also more "chaotic" and prone to misbehavior or sudden outbursts or other violations of peaceable social norms.

So, on a personal level, a lot of your treatment will depend on the way you comport yourself. Calmness and patience are valued highly in terms of public behavior. Loudness and brashness is generally not. And as a foreigner, you are much more noticeable to those around you to begin with, which makes it doubly important to abide by the prevailing social norms.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Some of the "suspicions" Japanese people have toward Americans derive from their impressions of the US via Japanese media, as well as translated/dubbed American films.

The US is known in Japan as an interesting place, but also more "chaotic," with a lot of crime, and the assumption is that Americans as a people are probably - on the whole - also more "chaotic" and prone to misbehavior or sudden outbursts or other violations of peaceable social norms.

So, on a personal level, a lot of your treatment will depend on the way you comport yourself. Calmness and patience are valued highly in terms of public behavior. Loudness and brashness is generally not. And as a foreigner, you are much more noticeable to those around you to begin with, which makes it doubly important to abide by the prevailing social norms.
Unless you're invited out for dinner by a group of Japanese businessmen, with the sake flowing.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Yup. I think one of the oldest descriptions of the Japanese is a Chinese observer who noted, among other things, that they were quite a drinking people. Of course Chinese observers weren't always the most unbiased people in the world.

And for some reason I suddenly thought of reversing this title and starting a thread "What do Native American people think of the Japanese?"

Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM

213 posts, read 865,312 times
I am sorry if this question might seem offending but I have always wondered what it is like to be an American in Hiroshima/Nagasaki.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:34 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
I am sorry if this question might seem offending but I have always wondered what it is like to be an American in Hiroshima/Nagasaki.
There's no animosity at all. People aren't going to be wondering why you're there obviously, and they're more than happy to show you the history and while you're there, spend some tourist money. Of course they'll try to get you to sign up to volunteer for anti-nuclear organizations, etc., and there's a couple religious people there trying to "spread the word" of all places.

So yeah ... just a tourist destination really. Everyday people don't care because it doesn't impact them. If you're a tourist and want to do some ancillary shopping, there's some large malls near there.

It IS a major faux pas to mention the bombing though, because hundreds of thousands of people eventually died from the bombing itself or the effects thereafter, and there are still children born in the 60s and 70s who have the aftereffects. So don't bring it up outside the memorial.

In terms of other things to do ...

The city is sorta interesting because since it was blasted to smithereens they could rebuild it how they wanted to. The result is that there's a lot of main thoroughfares with wide streets, more western style, with streetcars and buses. Of course, the sidestreets can be and typically are narrow in the usual Japanese way, but to me it was interesting that few cities have as many wide streets as Hiroshima.

Their okonomiyaki is special in that area, made differently. There's also some pretty cool museums of art there if you like art, and then there's Mitaki-dera, a really cool ancient castle. Take a ride on the train to Miyajima shrine and you will be in for a treat, it's a world heritage site and a national treasure.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 AM

213 posts, read 865,312 times
@eskercurve: Thank you so much for answering my question!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 PM

29 posts, read 67,234 times
They do not like all foreigners including Americans and Koreans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia