Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
What was more interesting was when i was in Spain on vacation. One of my friends who travelled with me asked the waiter his name. The waiter replied and asked my friend(Chinese-American) his name. My friend replied with "Roberto". The waiter gave him a strange puzzled look.
Interesting...did he have any Spanish ties? Roberto isn't exactly a common name outside the Latin world. I'd be surprised to meet an Englishman named 'Roberto.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting...did he have any Spanish ties? Roberto isn't exactly a common name outside the Latin world. I'd be surprised to meet an Englishman named 'Roberto.'
None whatsoever. His name is Robert, so the Spanish equivalent is Roberto. That's it.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
None whatsoever. His name is Robert, so the Spanish equivalent is Roberto. That's it.
Interesting he Spanified his name, lol. I wonder if I should go by 'Juan' lol.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:08 PM

250 posts, read 662,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Yes, Chinese are more similar to Americans than the Japanese are. Chinese tend to be more straightforward and can also be quite rude, similar to Americans. Japanese are extremely polite and reserved.

In addition, there is far more sexual equality in China than Japan. Many Chinese women are very outspoken and aggressive, and there are many Chinese women in positions of power whereas in Japan, very few females are in positions of power and Japanese women tend to be much more reserved.
The sexual equality of China is perhaps a legacy of the Cultural Revolution, in which the Communist Party overhauled an enormous, aggressive feminist movement to ensure, as Mao Zedong, that "women take half of the sky."

Shanghainese women are infamously aggressive, while such is not true for those from Suzhou.

Whereas if one goes to Taiwan, which was colonized by Japan for 50 years, the gender gap is much larger.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
The sexual equality of China is perhaps a legacy of the Cultural Revolution, in which the Communist Party overhauled an enormous, aggressive feminist movement to ensure, as Mao Zedong, that "women take half of the sky."

Shanghainese women are infamously aggressive, while such is not true for those from Suzhou.

Whereas if one goes to Taiwan, which was colonized by Japan for 50 years, the gender gap is much larger.
This interests me. Wasn't one of their recent presidential candidates a woman? I see Taiwan as the most progressive, Western nation socially speaking in East Asia but maybe I'm wrong?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
This interests me. Wasn't one of their recent presidential candidates a woman? I see Taiwan as the most progressive, Western nation socially speaking in East Asia but maybe I'm wrong?
I think there was a female presidential candidate in Egypt, but by no means are they progressive!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
I think there was a female presidential candidate in Egypt, but by no means are they progressive!
Still, I expected Taiwan to be more progressive, considering it's a democracy, fairly liberal and all that. Seems a bit more easy-going than Japan or South Korea too. I expected things to be like Hong Kong.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Still, I expected Taiwan to be more progressive, considering it's a democracy, fairly liberal and all that. Seems a bit more easy-going than Japan or South Korea too. I expected things to be like Hong Kong.
Japan and South Korea are democracies, Full democracies that are more democratic than Taiwan.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Japan adapts whatever they deemed useful to them to their culture. Just by looking at the language, it borrows heavily from Chinese & even English.

So many words, terms, and systems were directly carried over from China. And they make no mention or open about where they borrowed it from. That's what's really frustrating about Japan is they don't ever openly acknowledge anything even if it's something insignificant they don't tell you upfront which is ingrained in their culture to be polite or being deceptive as a way to not let your opponents know your actions.

In general I believe Japan's culture is in conflict because it has a very modern & progressive society but held back by their traditional culture. The internet is the biggest innovation this century and the Japanese never fully caught on with it. You don't see as much internet startups coming out of Japan. You would think they would've easily taken over the internet but they didn't because their society is not about openly sharing ideas.

The foundation of the Internet is based on open standards and protocols. Something Japan does not support and still doesn't understand fully well.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:26 PM

280 posts, read 339,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Japan adapts whatever they deemed useful to them to their culture. Just by looking at the language, it borrows heavily from Chinese & even English.

So many words, terms, and systems were directly carried over from China. And they make no mention or open about where they borrowed it from. That's what's really frustrating about Japan is they don't ever openly acknowledge anything even if it's something insignificant they don't tell you upfront which is ingrained in their culture to be polite or being deceptive as a way to not let your opponents know your actions.

In general I believe Japan's culture is in conflict because it has a very modern & progressive society but held back by their traditional culture. The internet is the biggest innovation this century and the Japanese never fully caught on with it. You don't see as much internet startups coming out of Japan. You would think they would've easily taken over the internet but they didn't because their society is not about openly sharing ideas.

The foundation of the Internet is based on open standards and protocols. Something Japan does not support and still doesn't understand fully well.
Huh? Chinese charatcers used in Japanese are called Kanji (Kan is the way Japanese pronounce Han as in the Han dynasty) and Ji = words, pretty clear there if you ask me.

The problem with the uptake of the Internet/technology is because the Japanese are held back by too many older people and had been too arrogant as they cling onto their 80s/90s heydays, coupled with the fact that they have the "island mentality". Japan had internet phones well before Apple came out with the iphone but they never really attempted to export this tech or shall I say, bothered. NFCs were also widely used in Japan, guess what, they just began traction in the West recently.

Many people in Japan still cling onto older ways - e.g. use of the fax is still fairly high and also CD sales, both of which Japanese manufacturers had a big part in developing, partially national pride, partially convenience (it is easier for the elderly to write Japanese than type it).

Japanese manufacturers are also great at mechanic stuff (hardware) which they dominated in the 70s-early 2000s but utterly pretty bad in software (outside gaming). The world/game has changed, the Japanese didn't and are now paying a high price for it. These days people don't care if you have the best and most reliable such and such - especially in electronics because they are happy for something that does 80% of the job and 50% cheaper..besides, next year, they'll trade it in or bin it. South Korea and to some extent China and Taiwan has filled this void.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia