Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 03:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

(Han) Chinese women are more aggressive/dominant than Korean and Japanese women, not just due to the communist revolution.

Even among ethnic Korean communities within China, people consider Han women too aggressive. Not to mention Chinese Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 02:35 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
I have a gut feeling that Japan seems to be more westernized because it has so much recent shared history with the west: from the Industrial Revolution, to WWI, WWII, being rebuilt under the Marshall Plan after it was bombed by the US (Like Germany).

Japan's higher base level literacy from 1800 onward helped it to adapt in a more nimble way while China (and India) was less literate and less able to learn quickly from the west.

Whereas China has had continuous trade with the Middle East and Europe from the time of Christ, but they've become somewhat estranged due to the aftereffects of the Cold War and the legacy of colonization.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:56 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,723 times
Cities like Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Seoul have more local people lived in western countries than the largely populated Tokyo area. Therefore less influenced by western cultures.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
I guess I am the oddball here. Having been to both Japan and China (and Hong Kong), Japan is, to me, most different from the U.S.

Personally, I loved China more. People are more animated, friendly, and love to interact. Japanese - I had an awful time there. My daughter went to Kyushu University in Fukuoka, and I tried, I really tried, but I just did not fit in. I went from Fukuoka to Beppu, Kyoto, Tokyo and a few places in-between. I didn't care for Tokyo, even though there were tons of foreigners there, but I found it to fake because of all the foreigners. Although I didn't have such a hard time with all the "rules."

We had a foreign exchange student from China, and I also spent time in Shanghai (fabulous city, and the French Concession there), super friendly people, even if they couldn't speak English. We met up with someone we knew there who lives in Shanghai. I loved Hong Kong - my favorite, although now it's changing.

I adore my daughter, but she is now married to a Japanese man and lives in Nagoya. I'm dreading my next trip there. (At least they have Shabani there!!!) My daughter speaks Japanese and is studying for her National Language Exam. She also speaks Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese - she went to City University of Hong Kong).

Japan is NOT westernized like one may think. They are so totally different from the U.S. And they hate foreigners... My daughter is married, so she's more accepted. Me, I was really harassed. Of course, she didn't translate for me a lot, so I was kind of stuck a lot. She had a boyfriend in Fukuoka, and I was kind of on my own - but I don't speak Japanese, I am from the East Coast of he U.S. so I'm more talkative - which I learned was not accepted in Japan.

I have to go back soon, though, and I'm not looking forward to it. Japanese is a super difficult language and it's hard to slide by. In Tokyo, well, I find it hard to compare to any other Japanese city because Tokyo is where most foreigners go, the vendors cater to Americans, and some even speak some English. I had to learn and use my bows. I really tried, but I even had a cab driver throw my luggage into the middle of the street in the dark in Kyoto. I asked my daughter why he did that and she said, "Probably because you were talking."

The "good" part of Japan is it is safe. And clean. It's not my place and I hate all the silence. Onsens - total silence. Real Japanese restaurants - quiet. On the streets - quiet. I'm blonde, too, so that was a big no-no. I'm also very tiny and it was hard for me to try to reach things. Unless my daughter was there elbowing me (like if I bowed wrong, or began to speak, or just anything at that point), I had an awful time. The only place I found a "friendly" Japanese was in Kyoto (still a tourist town) but the woman at the hotel was my age (older) and she remembered the friendly Americans who helped during the war. But the rest - it seemed I did not fit in at all.

Now, my daughter who is around 30, has been obsessed with Japan since she was very little (like 2). She started to teach herself Japanese at age 9. She took Japanese in high school at the Community College. As soon as she could get to Japan, she did. It was her minor in college. She hardly speaks, herself. She fits right in. She wears face masks. It's hard to explain. She totally felt at home there. Me, I obviously did not fit in, even though I am very small and old.

China was the place I loved. I'd love to live there (except for the politics now). I adored Hong Kong - I fit right in. But Japan -- boy, that is NOT my place at all.

I have to go to Nagoya soon. Fortunately, Nagoya has Shabani - aside from my daughter and her husband, I'm looking forward to Shabani.

This is all kind of depressing but I spent a lot of time in both places, and Japan was very, very difficult for me (except for Tokyo which is mostly foreigners, so it's not representative of the "real" Japan).

That's my story. I hope I get through my next trip. I have to go to meet the in-laws and all, but, honestly, I'm very, very nervous.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:22 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,762 times
Japan took the best parts of both cultures. Western manners and decorum; Chinese respect for family, educational values, Confucianism etc.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,324,811 times
I live about 45 minutes south of Tokyo for the last 2 1/2 years. While they're a many similarities and influences with western culture, Japan does a very good job of holding onto tradition and has it's own norms and customs. Ex: everyone and I mean everyone stands to the left side on an escalator to let people pass on the right. Talking on trains is a big no-no. Bowing is expected etc..

I've been to Hong Kong/China, South Korea, Philippines & Singapore as well. The Chinese & Koreans can't stand American's (granted I'm military and was attached to the Aircraft Carrier when I visited) but you can tell & feel the animosity. Singapore is as clean as people say it is while the Philippines had to be the most accepting nicest people I've met in a long timeeee.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
I agree that Japan has manners. The culture is based on manners, amongst other things. In the U.S. - manners have pretty much slid down a hill. I find many Americans to be rude, impatient and selfish. But one must remember that foreigners (not including the military) are only .05% of the entire Japanese population! So, it's no wonder that (outside of Tokyo) they're disturbed by foreigners. If I had spent all my time in Tokyo - or Kyoto - then I probably would not have known the difference. That's why I suggest to people if they want to see Japan to go to cities outside of Tokyo (but if they don't speak Japanese, it would be good to have a translator). It just bothers me that Tokyo is considered "Japan," when it is the anomaly. Go to the cities outside of Tokyo (except Osaka...which is kind of like Tokyo).

If you know Japanese, then you probably know the bows, etiquette, food, etc., because you have an interest in it and Japanese is a difficult language to learn. My daughter is a polyglot, so she speaks many languages and lived in many countries (including South America). I speak some Spanish, but that does not help me in Japan.

If you're just a tourist, and if you're really curious about the culture in Japan don't spend all your time in Tokyo. Tokyo is influenced by all the foreigners (especially Americans - hey, they're business people, too, so they will cater more there).

I agree, Joakim3, that Japan holds onto its customs tightly. I have traveled all over the world and Japan was the most different to me. It doesn't look like it would be, because it is neat and orderly. In Southern Japan I ran into some odd cultural norms that were difficult for women. Actually, it was a female military woman who saw me struggling on a bus (I am very small...) and she helped me and explained why no one would not help at all - something to do with ancestors. I was so glad to find this woman on my bus!

But for pros, I DO love those vending machines! I also love that it is so safe. As a female, I don't have to continually look over my shoulder and be afraid of walking at night. I can't eat fish (deadly allergy), so I eat mostly in Indian restaurants there. Or my daughter cooks.

Maybe my next trip might be easier because my daughter's husband - oddly - owns his own English Language School, and so language won't be a barrier in the home. And he likes Western culture.

That's my experience with it. Because my daughter is so immersed in the culture, I think I was more aware of what was happening around me. Many people I know who went to Japan didn't notice (they don't speak the language or know the culture), so they were fine - blissfully ignorant.

Anyway, I think if people go on a tour, they'd be fine. And outside of Tokyo, a translator would be good if you don't speak Japanese. And the Japanese will give you a "nice" look, but inside...they get very upset when people don't follow their traditions. But most people don't speak Japanese, and I had a translator (my daughter) with me, so when things happened, I could immediately ask her why or what they were saying, and I was pretty surprised. Otherwise, I probably would not have known all that was being said. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I won't go on about it. Suffice to say, it is a challenging country outside of Tokyo (or Osaka). Learn the traditions, the bows, and some language. Be very quiet, respectful and follow what they do (like the escalators). And if you're with someone, try to not chat out loud in public. Silence truly is golden there.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:10 AM

148 posts, read 459,443 times
Speaking Japanese in Japan is most helpful for tourists, like speaking English in the US. I am an American, white male, lived in Japan for six years, and visited China many times, and my spouses have been Japanese and Cambodian of Chinese descent. I think Chinese culture is more like the US - they are both diverse, continental cultures, large landmasses, people are more straightforward, direct. Japan is an island culture, not diverse. Because I speak Japanese, I have a fantastic time in Japan - people tend to be very helpful, friendly, and happy that I have invested the time to learn. That's different from my experience in the US, where everyone is just expected to speak and know English, and there's something wrong with you if you don't. I appreciate the politeness, the quiet, and the reserve of Japanese culture, as long as you know how to get behind that and see the 'true feelings' behind the masks of politeness.

Generally, I think Japanese will ignore foreigners who are ignorant of rules, they don't expect them to understand. (They are not forgiving of other Japanese, of course). However, the international tourist boom in Japan has increased tensions in tourist communities because there now so many - particularly Chinese - who neither understand Japanese expectations nor particularly care - that Japanese are having to adapt.

I find many Chinese too be more forward and direct than I am comfortable with, just as I am quite uncomfortable with cashiers in the US telling me their business, and asking about mine. I would love for a strong dose of Japanese politeness and manners to be administered to Americans.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:27 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Yes, Chinese are more similar to Americans than the Japanese are. Chinese tend to be more straightforward and can also be quite rude, similar to Americans. Japanese are extremely polite and reserved.

In addition, there is far more sexual equality in China than Japan. Many Chinese women are very outspoken and aggressive, and there are many Chinese women in positions of power whereas in Japan, very few females are in positions of power and Japanese women tend to be much more reserved.
Both cultures traditionally viewed single middle age women negatively. For men, men married with children are more likely to be promoted. Single people are not regarded as ideal leaders in organizations. Japanese love Chinese food. Some but not most Chinese love Japanese food, mostly the Chinese in cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia