Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times

Advertisements

Top of Chinese wealthy's wish list? To leave China - Yahoo! News

BEIJING (AP) — Chinese millionaire Su builds skyscrapers in Beijing and is one of the people powering China's economy on its path to becoming the world's biggest.
He sits at the top of a country — economy booming, influence spreading, military swelling — widely expected to dominate the 21st century.
Yet the property developer shares something surprising with many newly rich in China: he's looking forward to the day he can leave.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-07-2011 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: copyrighted material removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,410,358 times
A very interesting article, and I'm not at all surprised. This pattern was first seen right before and after the handover of Hong Kong to China. In an authoritarian country like China, people never feel completely safe, particularly when they have something the government might want.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
There are several current threads in this forum asking people where they would live if they had a huge fortune. Most Americans would leave the USA, so I guess that must be on the wish list of Americans, too.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Disneyland looks wonderful from a distance, but the reality is different.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,712 times
Fascinating article. I think even though we're going through a very tough time we sometimes forget that the USA is still the #1 choice for many immigrants from all over the world.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Fascinating article. I think even though we're going through a very tough time we sometimes forget that the USA is still the #1 choice for many immigrants from all over the world.
Immigrants do not seek to choose America because it offers them the best lifestyle. They choose America because it pays the highest wages, which they remit back to their families (if there is any left after paying for health insurance and the necessary automobile), which is the primary purpose for emigrating in the first place.

What is the first thing an immigrant needs to do when he arrives in America? Buy a gun to protect himself against the other Americans who are not already in prison. Why do you think that is a strong incentive to immigrate here?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:31 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Immigrants do not seek to choose America because it offers them the best lifestyle. They choose America because it pays the highest wages, which they remit back to their families (if there is any left after paying for health insurance and the necessary automobile), which is the primary purpose for emigrating in the first place.

What is the first thing an immigrant needs to do when he arrives in America? Buy a gun to protect himself against the other Americans who are not already in prison. Why do you think that is a strong incentive to immigrate here?
Well the "highest wages", plus the lower cost of living compared to other developed nations does indeed equal a high quality of life. Yeah, the health insurance issue in the USA does indeed suck but if its taken care of by the employer than it's not a big deal and as for the automobile, idk where you got that. I've lived in Europe and Japan and have friends in Australia (and have visited there too several times) and cars are FAR cheaper in the USA than in those places. And as for buying the gun, that's just a HUGE exaggeration, so you can stop with the dramatics. I don't own a gun and have never had a need for it (not even remotely close). Also, I think there is a strong incentive to immigrate here because it's the most immigrated to nation on earth and second if you do it per capita, and this is in spite of it being extremely difficult to immigrate here in the first place.

Quick question, if you don't like it, why are you here? Why not leave? ( & I mean that not in a snide way, just curious).

Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM

27,586 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is the first thing an immigrant needs to do when he arrives in America? Buy a gun to protect himself against the other Americans who are not already in prison.
Wow, what you just said hardly sounds like someone who actually lives in America. Is Victoria, Texas some really bad ghetto?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
Apparently it's common for the richer class to want to leave a country albeit less so in richer countries. Although I'd think China has issues (pollution, authoritarianism) that might make leaving more attractive than the norm.

A Country

As for where immigrants go the US possibly gets a high number because of our size, notability, we border a less-developed nation, and because we already have many millions of foreign-born people. People fairly often immigrate to where they have friends or family. Compared to size Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Singapore are maybe the most desired destinations for immigrants. Of more populous nations Britain is apparently slightly above the US.

Developed Nations Attract Young vs. Educated Migrants

Still saying the first thing an immigrant does is buy a gun strikes me as a bit excessive. Maybe that's what some do, but at the very least a large percent of our immigrants come from countries more violent than ours. Mexico, most of Central America, and most of the Caribbean are all more murderous than the US. The Dominican Republic, Mexico, and Nicaragua are also listed by the UN as worse in robbery.

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP
International Human Development Indicators - UNDP

And there are US cities immigrants go to that aren't particularly dangerous. El Paso is much safer than nearby Juarez, Mexico. I believe San Diego is generally safer than Baja California. New York City and San Jose are also low in crime and popular with immigrants.

https://www.city-data.com/city/El-Paso-Texas.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/San-Diego-California.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/San-Jose-California.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/New-York-New-York.html

Granting that our European or Asian immigrants are often going to a more dangerous place than what they left behind, but I would think many of them are not exactly going to war-zones in the hopes of a quick buck. Many of our East Asian immigrants apparently settle in places like the Bay Area and suburbs, not exactly East St. Louis or Detroit.

https://www.city-data.com/top2/h71.html

Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
And as for buying the gun, that's just a HUGE exaggeration, so you can stop with the dramatics. .

Don'e let the people on the gun forums hear you say that. They keep warning me that everyone in the USA must have a gun in order to protect himself and his family from Americans, and they respond to me by telling me that I am being foolish and short-sighted and naive for not keeping a weapon for self defense while living in America. After all, this IS the nation with the highest per capita number of incarcerated convicted criminals in the world.

So now you know to whom to direct your "stop the dramatics" comment, if you dare.

People seeking to emigrate see America as a land where people all have new cars, they live in beautiful houses, they shop in fashionable malls, chat all day in cafe talkfests, go skiing or to the beach every weekend, and have no visible job. Of course they aspire to live in the wonderful country they see in the movies. The really funny part is that Americans also believe that that is how Americans live.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-08-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia