Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times

Advertisements

Last night I watched a show on HGTV called "House Hunters International", it tracked this "Senior Kindergarden teacher" from Canada who had just found a job in Abu Dhabi and was searching for an apartment there. Her employer was picking up the rental tab by giving her a $65,000/yr living expenses stipend

With the help of the realtor she managed to find a gorgeous 2 bedroom facing the Persian Gulf... I was thinking what a life!
If her stipend is that much what do you think she gets paid? $100,000/yr perhaps? More??

Are salaries that high in that part of the world? I heard they could be tax free as well! How easy is it to get employment there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
For one thing the debt rules are different there. Technically you can't really leave the country until you pay off your mortgage or car loan and in fact if you look on the internet you'll find sob stories of people trapped there after they lost their job, can't get another because of their visa rules and are stuck with their houses, sometimes no money and yes, often times put in jail. Yep, jail. One guy I read about had been sitting there for nine months.

Also a lot of the employment contracts can be a bit funny and you don't have much legal recourse for anything. Often things are over promised and under paid.

So it's one of those deals I would really, really know what you are getting into.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Can't comment on the UAE specifically, but I always live by the motto, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is!
They would be a catch somewhere.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,813 times
The new trend is over seas contract work, where most of the new building growth is occuring...

I have a older relative over seas now...and they are ranking in the money...
It's the only way many, over here, will be able to lift themselves out of a slavish lower wage get no where job....

Expecially if one has failed to save money for retirenment and all, you can go over there, and make more in a year, than you will dinking around over here for the next 20 years...

But if your already making 6 figures, here, there's no need to go over there...

Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,375 times
Construction workers from other countries are paid 5 dollars a day. They are told to stay in barracks and not to come to town when they are not working.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,813 times
It sucks to be them, but American workers, contracted from American companies make from $80,000-$200,000 yearly...

If one has failed to save for retirement, and are say in their late 30's or 40's...this would be the time to make up for it...work there for 2 years, than retire...

Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
I am contemplating teaching there. They have two-year contracts for teachers, making about 43-50K per year, plus free accommodation, (you pay your utilities, food, internet, etc), free travel to and from the school, free medical/dental, and airfare for you and up to three dependents, plus visas, and it is tax free.

Of course you have to be qualified to teach: ie.. teaching license in any US state, English Native Speaker or a Bachelors in English from and English-Speaking Country, Bachelors or Higher, and at least 2 years teaching experience in any type of K-12 classroom. Also, you have to have all your paperwork, like passport, passport photos, applications, etc.. all in order before even being offered, and many require you to go to job fairs far from home in order to meet them face-to-face.

I feel that being in my 30's, there is no other way I can teach in the US and make that kind of money and save that much. I agree with Time and Space. So, I am going for it! I need to make a better future for my family.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:01 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
It sucks to be them, but American workers, contracted from American companies make from $80,000-$200,000 yearly...

If one has failed to save for retirement, and are say in their late 30's or 40's...this would be the time to make up for it...work there for 2 years, than retire...
Where is "there" and in which capacity? Radioactive clean-up in Iraq? be concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia