Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hong Kong, Tokyo or New York City?
Hong Kong 11 29.73%
Tokyo 11 29.73%
New York City 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:58 PM

183 posts, read 601,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
in what club in New York can i drink as much as i want for 2 hours/$70 while getting a free bj and a prostate massage by a Japanese girl?
Where in New York can i find clubs open in the early morning and the afternoon?
Where in Tokyo will you find a club open until the afternoon? They tend to close around 6am. Sometimes there's an after club, club event somewhere else, but this is not some widespread phenomenon.

There's all-you-can drink deals, but these tend to be at places you go to with a group of friends/coworkers. These are usually not the best places to pick up one night stands unless that girl is in the group you go with.

You can find one night stands in NYC as well and spend less money. You can even find Japanese women in NYC if you're into them specifically. Japan isn't like Thailand and I found women overall are harder to pick up there than in the US. The only advantage Japan has is foreign friendly bars, mainly in Roppongi, where women overly into foreigners can be found easier. I think that gets a bit too weird if you're living there for awhile as that is a hotspot for tourist men looking fr easy women.

The rest of the women, the vast majority, can't speak or understand English, and have little to no interest in foreigners (you aren't Japanese, they are, they expect you can't speak Japanese, they question your motives as they know many western foreigners think Japanese women are super easy, they expect you won't be staying in Japan, they have no interest in leaving Japan, etc.)

Old 12-26-2011, 04:26 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I've only been to HK and NYC, but plan to visit Japan one day. I'll just compare HK and NYC.

Urban living - both are extremely urban of course, I prefer NYC style urban living though, Manhattan offers more/more interesting urban districts.

Nightlife - Not sure it's hard to sum up the nightlife of these two major cities, especially New York, based on a few nights out.

Culture and history - NYC

Public transportation - Probably HK for cleanliness/comfort efficiency, NYC for character/memorableness

Restaurants/Food - NYC has more variety, not a fan of Cantonese cuisine

Shopping - Probably Hong Kong actually

Tourist sites - NYC has more urban tourist sites, since the tourist precinct is much bigger

Economy and career opportunities - NYC

Global influence/importance - NYC

Urban and natural scenery - Hong Kong's skyline is better. It also has nice natural areas closer to the CBD so HK wins this one.

Cleanliness - Both have dirty areas, but I might give the edge to NYC. Neither are particularly clean cities.

Entertainment/Recreation - NYC is hard to beat

Cost of living - Not sure

Location in the world - HK for Asia, NYC for NA and Europe

Other criteria

Climate maybe HK by a bit.

Which do you personally prefer?

NYC is still one of my favourite cities in the world. HK is cool but it just cannot compare to New York City for me.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I have not been to Hong Kong or Tokyo (though I plan to at some point). However, it seems to me that Hong Kong is an overrated city when considered on a global scale.

When you look at factors like population, GDP and personal income, Hong Kong is alright but it's nothing head-turning. So, are Hong Kong's skyline and scenery its only claim to fame?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:17 AM

174 posts, read 640,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have not been to Hong Kong or Tokyo (though I plan to at some point). However, it seems to me that Hong Kong is an overrated city when considered on a global scale.

When you look at factors like population, GDP and personal income, Hong Kong is alright but it's nothing head-turning. So, are Hong Kong's skyline and scenery its only claim to fame?
Hong Kong is a big city with diverse inhabitants. Home to many banks as headquarters. Business and economy is booming in Hong Kong. Please elaborate your issue.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,687 times
Tokyo, easily. NYC is highly overrated.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,402 times
Quote:

I lived in HK for 3 years and visited Tokyo many times. Am now NY state.
Give me HK or Tokyo over NYC any time.
HK is incredibly safe, it has amazing restaurants and a fantastic nightlife where places are open until 4/5 am nightly and you can pick up a taxi at anytime for next to nothing cost wise. Yes house prices are incredibly high but quality of life is good esp as most people have part time if not live in domestic help. There are great country parks and hiking trails as well is a fabulous airport and being on the doorstep of some great places in Asia.
Tokyo is HUGE with loads to see and do. Amazing history and cultural activities. I have never ran out of things to do in Tokyo. Great food, transport and friendly people, good parks to walk around.
Whilst NY has great tourist sights and broadway and museums, its very dirty and it always feels like you are being pushed around by the million people in a hurry there. I have yet to get excited about eating out there.... and we have tried both ends of the restaurant spectrum.... also trying to get a cab late in the evenings... bloody nightmare... the metro is horrible and smelly and I avoid it whenever possible...

Old 12-26-2011, 01:25 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

Except when you look at its actual metro area that includes the cities surrounding it (the Pearl River Delta with a conservative estimate of 60 million in the metro and an expanded estimate of 120 million), you'll see that it's huge.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:14 PM

183 posts, read 601,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
I lived in HK for 3 years and visited Tokyo many times. Am now NY state.
Give me HK or Tokyo over NYC any time.
HK is incredibly safe, it has amazing restaurants and a fantastic nightlife where places are open until 4/5 am nightly and you can pick up a taxi at anytime for next to nothing cost wise. Yes house prices are incredibly high but quality of life is good esp as most people have part time if not live in domestic help. There are great country parks and hiking trails as well is a fabulous airport and being on the doorstep of some great places in Asia.
Tokyo is HUGE with loads to see and do. Amazing history and cultural activities. I have never ran out of things to do in Tokyo. Great food, transport and friendly people, good parks to walk around.
Whilst NY has great tourist sights and broadway and museums, its very dirty and it always feels like you are being pushed around by the million people in a hurry there. I have yet to get excited about eating out there.... and we have tried both ends of the restaurant spectrum.... also trying to get a cab late in the evenings... bloody nightmare... the metro is horrible and smelly and I avoid it whenever possible...
I believe Tokyo and Hong Kong have higher population densities than NYC. I haven't seen train workers pushing New Yorkers on to crowded subways. New York gets many tourists, but they're not in large numbers year round and they tend to go to obvious places. Tokyo gets less tourists, though they're easy to spot, but all the shops and entertainment tend to be concentrated in a few major stations, so you get insane crowds every weekend and national holiday. I learned to avoid those places on the weekend, try to go during a weekday.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Tokyo is horrible IMO, a bunch of sardines in a can, certainly would not want to live there, at all.

TBH, I am not a fan of far Eastern cities.. I prefer English-Style Architecthure in America, like you find in New York, Boston and Philedalphia. Just my opinion though.

New York is dirty though, but most people do not care, cause they don't go there to judge the cleanliness, they go there to enjoy the sights, the museums, the theatres, the buzz, the amazing culture, fantastic shopping etc.

New York is dominant, the only city that can truly compete with it is London.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Tokyo, easily. NYC is highly overrated.
I had very high expectations of NYC and was not disappointed. I think it's impossible for NYC to be overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia