Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hong Kong, Tokyo or New York City?
Hong Kong 11 29.73%
Tokyo 11 29.73%
New York City 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have not been to Hong Kong or Tokyo (though I plan to at some point). However, it seems to me that Hong Kong is an overrated city when considered on a global scale.

When you look at factors like population, GDP and personal income, Hong Kong is alright but it's nothing head-turning. So, are Hong Kong's skyline and scenery its only claim to fame?
Hong Kong is beautiful. Very vertical city, and a gorgeous natural harbor.

Maybe 15 years ago, but they four major financial capitals in the world were consistently NEW YORK, LONDON, HONG KONG, and TOKYO. This was said to be where most the world's money flows in and out of.

However, since the 1997 take-over of Hong Kong by the Chinese. There has been a slow shift to siphon the global importance of HK, and shift it towards mainland China. It seems the Chinese are trying, and gradually succeeding at eventually putting SHANGHAI above Hong Kong as a world city and major financial world player.

That doesn't detract from Hong Kong whatsoever. It's still a major world city with a ton of wealth. But because of China's policies, it's slowly losing what was recently very powerful. Additionally, during that takeover, most of Hong Kong's wealth moved to Vancouver, Sydney, Los Angeles, London, etc. Some cities were completely transformed with the wealth of HK moving their money out of HK/China to other places.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 PM

419 posts, read 998,740 times
ALL GREAT CITIES

But if I had to choose

1.NYC.
2.Tokyo
3.Hong Kong

Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have not been to Hong Kong or Tokyo (though I plan to at some point). However, it seems to me that Hong Kong is an overrated city when considered on a global scale.

When you look at factors like population, GDP and personal income, Hong Kong is alright but it's nothing head-turning. So, are Hong Kong's skyline and scenery its only claim to fame?
I can't compare it to the other two (yet) but HK is the most wonderful place I have ever been.

It is truly magical. It's a blend of ancient and modern, fast and slow...an absolutely exciting and vibrant place.

It is very, very clean (apart from the air!) and has a low crime rate. The HK Chinese are delightful people and most speak or at least read English. It is also quite tropical and has beautiful gardens, mosques, and temples - a real melting pot.

I would love to live there. You would never, ever get bored. It's also an excellent base for everywhere else...you can fly direct from HK to just about anywhere in the world.

Also...Disneyland! A huge bonus for a big kid like me.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM

162 posts, read 420,999 times
Best to worst in my opinion

Best
Tokyo-/-- Very clean and safe.

New York Open 24/7

Worst
Hong Kong. Nothing wrong with it the other
places are better.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
Luckily, I've been in all 3 cities and I live in NYC.

To tell you the truth, NYC is not all that great, not all that glamorous and is probably the worst off out of those three.

Tokyo is amazing, though. My experience there was phenomenal and fascinating. So many kind people, so much great culture and so much to see. I don't recommend clothes shopping but even window shopping is just interesting. It's very clean and safe, but very expensive.

Hong Kong is great as well. I love going there, especially in the summer. They have such a beautiful skyline, great food, and even though some parts aren't so great, they aren't bad to the core. i don't think I've truly had a BAD experience there. But I will say that it is overcrowded, same goes for Tokyo, but everywhere you turn, there's something interesting.

NYC is my home turf, so I obviously have a lot of cons about living here. It's only as fascinating if you spend like 3-4 days here, but that's about it. The living conditions can be horrible and tough. Some people pay so much money and get a small space in return. Everything is expensive and there are a lot of unsafe parts here.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 AM

15 posts, read 20,672 times
In defense of New York City regarding cleanliness, I think that the horrific and foul orders of its Chinatown in Manhattan really skews the perception of any tourist that happen to roam those streets. Chinatown's streets are just flat-out unsanitary and a major turn-off. Did anyone hear about the female store owner that sold toxic clams a few days ago and got arrested because of violating environmental laws? However, Chinatown is really the the worst out of these areas in NYC regarding sub-par cleanliness. I can't list any other neighborhood in NYC proper that even comes close to Chinatown's dirty environment.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:57 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Luckily, I've been in all 3 cities and I live in NYC.

To tell you the truth, NYC is not all that great, not all that glamorous and is probably the worst off out of those three.

Tokyo is amazing, though. My experience there was phenomenal and fascinating. So many kind people, so much great culture and so much to see. I don't recommend clothes shopping but even window shopping is just interesting. It's very clean and safe, but very expensive.

Hong Kong is great as well. I love going there, especially in the summer. They have such a beautiful skyline, great food, and even though some parts aren't so great, they aren't bad to the core. i don't think I've truly had a BAD experience there. But I will say that it is overcrowded, same goes for Tokyo, but everywhere you turn, there's something interesting.

NYC is my home turf, so I obviously have a lot of cons about living here. It's only as fascinating if you spend like 3-4 days here, but that's about it. The living conditions can be horrible and tough. Some people pay so much money and get a small space in return. Everything is expensive and there are a lot of unsafe parts here.
True. NYC is overrated. It is the filthiest among the big global cities. Its subway is 19th century standard.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I think this thread should have stayed on the world forum. The Asia forum is likely going to have an anti-New York bias.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
It may be a subjective thing, but for me NYC has the most to interest me, although I've yet to visit Tokyo so I'll have to see. HK is a definitely a very interesting city, but in terms of the city ITSELF I actually felt it was sort of lacking compared to NYC. The skyline looks great, but there's a large of classicness to a lot of the buildings/neighbourhoods. I think the setting, harbour, the peak, some of the fishing villages and some of the markets, such as the Fish and Flower market were my favourite things about HK. I much prefer to food in say Singapore compared to Hong Kong too. I would say Tokyo and NY are ahead as food cities as well.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hong Kong is beautiful. Very vertical city, and a gorgeous natural harbor.

Maybe 15 years ago, but they four major financial capitals in the world were consistently NEW YORK, LONDON, HONG KONG, and TOKYO. This was said to be where most the world's money flows in and out of.

However, since the 1997 take-over of Hong Kong by the Chinese. There has been a slow shift to siphon the global importance of HK, and shift it towards mainland China. It seems the Chinese are trying, and gradually succeeding at eventually putting SHANGHAI above Hong Kong as a world city and major financial world player.

That doesn't detract from Hong Kong whatsoever. It's still a major world city with a ton of wealth. But because of China's policies, it's slowly losing what was recently very powerful. Additionally, during that takeover, most of Hong Kong's wealth moved to Vancouver, Sydney, Los Angeles, London, etc. Some cities were completely transformed with the wealth of HK moving their money out of HK/China to other places.
I agree that Shanghai is becoming a major world financial player but Shanghai has always had an international flavor similar to NYC.

NYC is a 24/7 city which has much to offer visitors and residents besides being a world financial center. You can find anything in NYC if you look hard enough for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia