Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hong Kong, Tokyo or New York City?
Hong Kong 11 29.73%
Tokyo 11 29.73%
New York City 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:02 PM

474 posts, read 530,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyandsunny View Post
Not sure about Tokyo but for culture, food and tourist attractions, it's definitely HK. The rest, I'm all for NY.
Scenery, public transit, and cleanliness go to NY?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:51 PM

391 posts, read 753,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Scenery, public transit, and cleanliness go to NY?
All of those are excellent in New York. Especially cleanliness. I have never seen a big city as clean as New York. Possibly Hong Kong.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
All of those are excellent in New York. Especially cleanliness. I have never seen a big city as clean as New York. Possibly Hong Kong.
Tokyo is a lot cleaner than New York and Hong Kong.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:05 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tokyo is a lot cleaner than New York and Hong Kong.
Probably every single Japanese city is a lot cleaner than New York and Hong Kong.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:45 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I'm always so envious of people that live in Hong Kong. You live in one of the most dynamic cities on planet Earth. People wish their city had that setting. Wish it had that tolerable climate (winter free). Wish that it had that big cityness, density, urbane framework. Wish that it had that super-city aura to it.

Always just so jealous of Hong Kongers. Wish I lived there, wish it all the time. I'm way too much of an under-achiever to make it in Hong Kong as it stands right now. I want to be making a lot more money, want things to go my way a little bit more, then maybe, possibly maybe, I could make a lifelong dream come true.
Have you been there before?

It is an amazing place; I love it there, I go every month to two months, at least. I've been to NYC many times and lived there for about six months, and HK's density and use of space blew me away. In NYC, you still have plenty of alleys that are just that: alleys, with dumpsters and a few back doors into buildings... in HK, those alleys are probably lined with shops and restaurants. To me, if feels like a combination of San Francisco, NYC, and London, plopped down in Asia. It's definitely its own place, don't get me wrong... but I feel pieces of each of those cities' characters there, all the same that it is specifically Cantonese.

It is pretty expensive overall; you can get an apartment in Kowloon, in or around the Chungking Mansions, for a mildly-livable price... but, it is going to be small, basically a tiny room with a single- or double-bed, an air conditioner, and a fan, no cooking provisions, and a closet with a 12 inch by six inch basin, toilet, and a shower head (the whole bathroom is the shower) and the water heater attached to the wall. You'll be paying about $10k HKD - about $1300. If you live on one of the other islands, or at least further out north from Kowloon/Central, you can find some better deals though as is the case living in an outlier from NYC or Tokyo, you'll likely end up spending more time and money to commute into these areas for work.

I now have a registered HK LLC and do a lot of business there, so I'm always thinking about relocating there... but, more of my business is in GZ, I have more friends here, I live in a nice 3-bedroom for about $1k USD per month, the COL is about a third lower than HK, and my GF is a Chinese citizen so it'd be harder for her to move there until we are married. Perhaps down the line, though. It's hands down one of the best and most unique cities in the world

Old 03-04-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Have you been there before?
He posted his pictures there like in the last couple of pages.

I've been there once many years ago, and according to my friends and family who have been there more recently and several HKers themselves, the city has changed drastically since then. The QoL of average HKers has dropped significantly and literally everywhere is filled with Mainlanders.
They also said that if you tell them you're from Taiwan, they'd become ultra-friendly. Idk how true is that, though.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:45 AM

64 posts, read 74,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
They also said that if you tell them you're from Taiwan, they'd become ultra-friendly. Idk how true is that, though.
Depending on the type of person you encounter it could goes from ultra-friendly to just indifferent (as if the same for locals), but it would be better than mainlanders for sure.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:59 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
He posted his pictures there like in the last couple of pages.

I've been there once many years ago, and according to my friends and family who have been there more recently and several HKers themselves, the city has changed drastically since then. The QoL of average HKers has dropped significantly and literally everywhere is filled with Mainlanders.
Ah, I missed those pictures. There you go... I have my phone set not to download images to save data, so that's probably why I glossed over them.

Idk about saying you're from Taiwan; my GF hasn't experienced any animosity for being a mainlander when we're there, but that could be because of my presence. I've got a few HK native friends, and they do seem to think of Taiwan as sharing a similar situation to their own. Some young people are jealous because Taiwan never agreed to submit to a timeline to PRC governance.

Although most people don't care, some I've met there also seem to lighten up when they hear I'm an American. I've had a number of people tell me that Americans are louder and more brash than the British, but friendlier and more respectful. Of course, that could be because I'm an American. Seems every place has their regional/national preferences...

From my frequent and numerous times there, I wouldn't say "filled" with mainlanders. There are mainland tourists, visitors, and residents, of course, but certainly not enough that the city seems overrun or anything. My gf will point out other mainlanders when we're there, usually based on how they're dressed, which is usually slightly more awkwardly than most HK'ers. Whether over- or under-dressed, I'd say the average Hong Konger is certainly much more polished in their appearance than their mainland brethren. When you do encounter the sort of stereotypical loud, socially-unaware mainlander family who are walking six-abreast at a snail's pace and letting their kid shout and run around, rest assured, there will be HK'ers telling them to shut up, mind their kid, and probably talking out their phone to snap pictures or videos of them

Old 03-04-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Ah, I missed those pictures. There you go... I have my phone set not to download images to save data, so that's probably why I glossed over them.

Idk about saying you're from Taiwan; my GF hasn't experienced any animosity for being a mainlander when we're there, but that could be because of my presence. I've got a few HK native friends, and they do seem to think of Taiwan as sharing a similar situation to their own. Some young people are jealous because Taiwan never agreed to submit to a timeline to PRC governance.

Although most people don't care, some I've met there also seem to lighten up when they hear I'm an American. I've had a number of people tell me that Americans are louder and more brash than the British, but friendlier and more respectful. Of course, that could be because I'm an American. Seems every place has their regional/national preferences...

From my frequent and numerous times there, I wouldn't say "filled" with mainlanders. There are mainland tourists, visitors, and residents, of course, but certainly not enough that the city seems overrun or anything. My gf will point out other mainlanders when we're there, usually based on how they're dressed, which is usually slightly more awkwardly than most HK'ers. Whether over- or under-dressed, I'd say the average Hong Konger is certainly much more polished in their appearance than their mainland brethren. When you do encounter the sort of stereotypical loud, socially-unaware mainlander family who are walking six-abreast at a snail's pace and letting their kid shout and run around, rest assured, there will be HK'ers telling them to shut up, mind their kid, and probably talking out their phone to snap pictures or videos of them

Old 03-04-2015, 06:59 AM

64 posts, read 74,910 times
Quote:

From my frequent and numerous times there, I wouldn't say "filled" with mainlanders. There are mainland tourists, visitors, and residents, of course, but certainly not enough that the city seems overrun or anything.
There's one more genre called 'shoppers' (aka smuggler since they always avoid paying custom duties), referring to those who come to buy all commodity like (imported) milk powder, (imported) food and (imported) cigarette and leave the border within a day (and do it multiple time in a day time).
These people are very noticeable in places in the NT like North District, Yuen Long and Tuen Mun. If you visit Hong Kong as a tourists then you're not likely to be encountering them since they never visit tourist attraction, their only agenda is to buy as much goods as possible to resell them as soon as they get to Shenzhen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia