Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hong Kong, Tokyo or New York City?
Hong Kong 11 29.73%
Tokyo 11 29.73%
New York City 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:43 PM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times

Advertisements

These 3 cities are typically among the most highly ranked in terms of "global" cities. How would you rate them based on the following criteria?

Urban living

Nightlife

Culture and history

Public transportation

Restaurants/Food

Shopping

Tourist sites

Economy and career opportunities

Global influence/importance

Urban and natural scenery

Cleanliness

Entertainment/Recreation

Cost of living

Location in the world

Other criteria

Which do you personally prefer?

Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times
Urban living: Three way tie.

Nightlife: Tokyo, Hong Kong, and NYC. All three have great nightlife, but in that order.

Culture and History: Three way Tie.

Public transportation: Hong Kong, Tokyo, and NYC. All three have great public transportation but Hong Kong and Tokyo’s public transportation system seems much more modern and clean.

Restaurants/Food: Three way tie.

Shopping: Another three way tie.

Tourist Sites: New York City, Hong Kong, Tokyo.
NYC decisively leads in tourist sites but all three cities have great tourist sites.

Economy and Career Opportunities: A three way tie. These 3 cities are some of the best in the world for Economy and Career Opportunities.

Global Influence/Importance: New York City, Hong Kong, Tokyo.
All three cities are very globally influential/important, but it is still in that order.

Urban and Nature Scenery:
For Urban scenery: New York City, Hong Kong, Tokyo. All three are great for urban scenery, but in that order.
For Nature scenery: Hong Kong, New York City, Tokyo
Urban/Nature scenery blend: Hong Kong, New York City, Tokyo.

Cleanliness: Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York City.

Location in the World: Three way tie.

Which do you personally prefer: I like all 3 cities equally.

Overall, New York City, Paris, London, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Tokyo are some of my favorite cities in the world.
There are plenty of other cities I like a lot too, but those 6 cities above are very high up on the list.

Last edited by ; 12-24-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 12-24-2011, 08:39 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
Haven't been to Hong Kong yet so i just do a Tokyo vs. NYC

Nightlife
Tokyo

Culture and history
Tie

Public transportation
Tokyo

Restaurants/Food
NYC

Shopping
Tokyo

Tourist sites
NYC

Tie

NYC

Tokyo

Cleanliness
Tokyo

Entertainment/Recreation
NYC

Cost of living
NYC

Location in the world
NYC

Which do you personally prefer
Tokyo

Old 12-25-2011, 04:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Most of these are fairly equal. Personally I think Tokyo's nightlife is overrated. I much prefer nightlife in other Asian cities by large margins. Partly because nightlife is so expensive there.

I also once lived in NYC, so I have nothing but great things to say about it.

Overall, I've spent the least time in hong kong of the three. But I love it has more English than Tokyo, and still in Asia. It also has a very beautiful natural setting. Maybe because I've spent the least time there, but I've always enjoyed it there, that's the city I'd choose.

Although the experience in any of the three is great.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 12-25-2011 at 04:53 AM..

Old 12-25-2011, 10:29 AM

174 posts, read 640,349 times
Urban living
I choose NYC 1st, for I think despite the overpriced rents and high prices, it is more worth it than in Tokyo 2nd & HK 3rd. Tokyo has ridiculously high rent with small spaces. HK has probly the most overpriced rent among the 3.

Nightlife
Personally not a fan, but I think Americans can do it better in terms of night fun. I'm a Chinese and I give the title to the Americans. Although like someone other said, nightlife in Bangkok or Manila can be so much better than these 3.

Culture and history
Tokyo wins hands down. It is a very well blend city of modern and history. It has a distinct culture of it's own that everybody recognizes.

Public transportation
Oh this is hard, between Tokyo and HK. NYC is out of the picture since many people complain about the dirty, smelly trains and some said do not feel safe riding the train. I give it to Tokyo. I believe Japanese train system is the best in the world. Minus the super packed crowded train during rush hour hehe..

Restaurants/Food
I might be bias with this, since Cantonese food is among my favorite. I choose HK. But not just because of the high end restaurants in HK. The true food spirit of HK are those in the streets, selling the best street foods. I always say, you've never been to HK if you've never been ate at those places.

Shopping
HK is the shopping mecca of the world. Where both luxury brands and cheap knock offs coexist. You can find so many bargains in all items.

Tourist sites
I think there's much more to see and do in Tokyo among the 3. Tokyo offers a variety of things to do and see for travelers and tourists. Temples, shrines, parks, "Akihabara", "Harajuku", skyskrapers, "Tsukiji", "Asakusa" and etc etc.

Hong Kong has the biggest city economy among 3. And opportunities are always available. They say it's hard to find a job for a fresh graduate in NYC anymore, and much more in Tokyo.

I say it's a triple tie. If one among them suffers economically, everyone else in the world will feel it too. These 3 are home to many major companies and employs hundreds of thousands of people.

Urban scenery, HK wins. It has the BEST skyline in the world. Home to the symphony of lights. N
Natural scenery, Tokyo wins. It has well preserved parks and mountains surrounding it.
Urban & Natural scenery, Tokyo wins both. Beautiful city skyline with the Mt. Fuji as a background. Totally majestic.

Cleanliness
I think it's obvious Tokyo is the cleanest among the 3. And NYC is the filthiest.

Entertainment/Recreation
Tokyo. It has also a Disneyland for kids and many other theme parks like the Sanrio Puroland. Pokemon centers for pokemon fans like me. And the Akihabara for those anime fans. Harajuku for fashion and cosplayers. Tokyo is like heaven to geeks.

Cost of living
Probably NYC. I don't know, as cost of living is subjective and dependable on the income of person.

Location in the world
HK has the most strategic location. Located at the Asia Pacific, it's very accessible to many countries. And due to being closer to the equator, it doesn't have harsh and cold winters.

Other criteria
Education - HK is home to the most prestigious university in Asia and has elite high school education.
Health Care - Tokyo. Japan has one of the best health care in the world.

Which do you personally prefer?
Tokyo. Despite the high rents, high cost of living and probly language barrier. Tokyo for me is a complete package. A city everyone will enjoy.

Last edited by choroneko; 12-25-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-25-2011, 02:19 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Urban living - Tokyo

Nightlife - New York

Culture and history - New York

Public transportation - Tokyo

Restaurants/Food - New York

Shopping - New York

Tourist sites - New York

Economy and career opportunities - New York

Global influence/importance - New York

Urban and natural scenery - Tokyo/New York tie

Cleanliness - Tokyo

Entertainment/Recreation - New York

Cost of living - New York

Location in the world - New York

New York is the winner!!

Old 12-25-2011, 05:10 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Oh, and:

Which do you personally prefer? - New York.. lol

Old 12-25-2011, 07:00 PM

183 posts, read 601,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Most of these are fairly equal. Personally I think Tokyo's nightlife is overrated. I much prefer nightlife in other Asian cities by large margins. Partly because nightlife is so expensive there.

I also once lived in NYC, so I have nothing but great things to say about it.

Overall, I've spent the least time in hong kong of the three. But I love it has more English than Tokyo, and still in Asia. It also has a very beautiful natural setting. Maybe because I've spent the least time there, but I've always enjoyed it there, that's the city I'd choose.

Although the experience in any of the three is great.
Yeah, can't agree with Davy-040 at all with that point.

1. Trains stop around 12-1am on the weekends, so you have to either make a huge commitment to be out ALL night and therefore ruin the possibility of doing anything during the daytime the next day, or go home at a time that feels a bit too early. Most people who go out in Tokyo make plans for the whole night, and therefore head out later as well, so places tend to be dead until around 12AM.

2. Cost of entry to many clubs is 2000yen-4000yen. Music concerts are even more expensive and tend to start and end early.

So, when you pay that much just to get in, you feel obligated to make the most of your time and not bail out for another place. And if you leave early, you'll find nearly empty streets (even in Shibuya), until the first train starts running and clubs close at 5am. So, a night at the club can run up to 5 hours.

3. Less options. Want to see a stand up comic or improv comedy? This is part of New York's night life, but good luck finding that in Tokyo.

Last edited by ErikJohnsson; 12-25-2011 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-25-2011, 07:15 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post

1. Trains stop around 12-1am on the weekends, so you have to either make a huge commitment to be out ALL night and therefore ruin the possibility of doing anything during the daytime the next day, or go home at a time that feels a bit too early. Most people who go out in Tokyo make plans for the whole night, and therefore head out later as well, so places tend to be dead until around 12AM.

2. Cost of entry to many clubs is 2000yen-4000yen. Music concerts are even more expensive and tend to start and end early.

3. Less options. Want to see a stand up comic or improv comedy? This is part of New York's night life, but good luck finding that in Tokyo.
in what club in New York can i drink as much as i want for 2 hours/$70 while getting a free bj and a prostate massage by a Japanese girl?
Where in New York can i find clubs open in the early morning and the afternoon?

Old 12-25-2011, 07:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post

So, when you pay that much just to get in, you feel obligated to make the most of your time and not bail out for another place. And if you leave early, you'll find nearly empty streets (even in Shibuya), until the first train starts running and clubs close at 5am. So, a night at the club can run up to 5 hours.

Yes, that's my exact experience with Tokyo. You can easily spend a small fortune and have no fun whatsoever.

Cities like Seoul or Manila or Jakarta, you'd be having an amazing time and still going strong at 5am. In Tokyo, I'd be bored out of my mind by 1am and my night's budget completely blown.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 12-25-2011 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia