Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:17 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,948,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I just visited Vietnam, it was awesome. Definitely woudl take some adjustments, there aren't modern highways like we have, people are very poor, and obviously the culture is a complete 180 from western culture. but it was a nice place and if you don't mind crowded areas, traffic, etc. it's a nice place.
Although I haven't met many folk with intent to live there. Most go for Thailand or Cambodia if single and Malaysia if a couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
My house cost RM160k, which was only RM10k over the minimum price in place at that time. Now the house has appreciated to between RM270k-300k, but that is well below the RM750k level set by Pahang's Menteri Besar for foreign ownership.

They keep moving the goal posts.
They do which in turn makes the value of the MMY2H visa questionable. It may well come to the point where they seek out only the filthy rich,forgetting of course that these folk have the world to pick from and are unlikely to decide on Malaysia.
Shame with regards to Pahang's higher than average requirement for foreign nationals to purchase property, being my favourite state. It appears that the powers there don't really want any foreign influences long term.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblock View Post
Hi All :-),

I am 40 years old living in nyc and dreaming
of quitting this hard life and move
to some asian country,

I d like a country where I can stay permanently
and where I can work ( otherwise I guess
I will get really bored),

I like a lot thailand but I read its really
complicated to settle and get visas,

I know other western countries like dominucan
republic would be easier to move to but I va always had
a preference for asia,

any idea?

thank you ;-)
Possibly your best bet is to purchase a Business Visa, valid for a year to either Cambodia or Laos and take it from there.
Cost around $500 but may have risen slightly but note that there is no need to start a business.
You can come and go as you wish. Check out the region and come to a decision if you can find what your after.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,689 times
If you're looking for a chill lifestyle away from "it all" with available--though limited--amenities and low cost of living, I would say Cambodia would be the best bet. I'm pretty sure you could live there for $6-$10K annually. If you have a good amount of dough stashed away, you could stay there for a long time. Also, finding part-time work (English teaching, with NGOs, etc.) is not that hard once you're on the ground. Stay away from drugs, fights, and bar girls and life could be pretty fine indeed.
Enjoy.
By the way, check out www.khmer440.com; it's an invaluable resource for expats in Cambodia.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
What about Sri Lanka, Arthur C. Clarke really liked it.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Singapore will gladly accept you. Their government are desperate to make their population larger. They'll probly force you to marry a Singaporean woman.
I'm already happily married. If I was an opportunistic single I'd go for a Singapore Chinese; they have all the money...

Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 PM

321 posts, read 533,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Nationals from Iran appear to have made up the largest number of those going for MMY2H visas. Also a large number from India, Bangla Desh, Japan.

I guess it is to be expected Singaporeans will feature strongly with the purchase of Malaysian property, giving consideration to the very high costs in Singapore and closeness of Malaysia.
If you look at the foreign properties ownerships at the Expatriates Enclaves from Desa Park City to KLCC, Sierramas to Valencia, Sri Hartamas to Mont Kiara, the presence of Singaporeans, Japanese, Koreans, Hong Kong, Chinese, Indian, Pakistan, Australian, British in that order for MY2H. I am surprised that Iranians makes the top list??

Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Antigua

Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglicious View Post
If you look at the foreign properties ownerships at the Expatriates Enclaves from Desa Park City to KLCC, Sierramas to Valencia, Sri Hartamas to Mont Kiara, the presence of Singaporeans, Japanese, Koreans, Hong Kong, Chinese, Indian, Pakistan, Australian, British in that order for MY2H. I am surprised that Iranians makes the top list??
What is the new monthly dollar income requirement for the Malaysian retirement visa? $3000?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglicious View Post
I was in KL only a few days ago and noticed a lot of Middle Easterners. I went to Sunway Lagoon in November of last year with a friend and noticed most of the visitors were from the Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia