Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:11 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
To the OP...try Thailand. A lot of people from America and Europe either own vacation homes there or live there permanently. It's a hot retirement destination and I hear the government treats ex-pats very well.
Foreigners have been getting killed in Thailand lately:

Thailand 'most dangerous tourist destination' claims book - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 05:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Foreigners have been getting killed in Thailand lately:

Thailand 'most dangerous tourist destination' claims book - Telegraph
The article quotes author Andrew MacGregor who said (regarding the recent murders on Koh Tao):
"Thailand is still relatively safe to visit,” he said, “as petty crime is widespread but murders and assaults targeting foreigners are relatively rare."

While the murders were indeed senseless and tragic, that doesn't make Thailand a dangerous place to be avoided or that such extreme crimes are becoming more commonplace there. Like any country, people need to use common sense in certain situations.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,664 times
Thailand would be my choice and I've been most of the countries mentioned with the exception of Laos and Indonesia. Second would Taiwan, third would be Japan. Malaysia is just to crummy, run down and third world. China does not allow foreigners to own property, and they do not accept foriengers for citzenship. The new 10 year visa rule helps, but it's still China. It gets really boring very quickly.

In Thailand, different cities seem to have different property ownership rules, and I know for a fact that in Pattaya, a retiree from Great Britian is allowed to purchase and own property, and may also apply for a permanent resident visa.

I even met a guy from San Diego who was apparently a permanent resident there, and he was driving his Porsche 356S with California plates still on it.

I'm not sure if Phuucket(City Data censors this city name for reason) has similar legislation, but Pataya is definitely a hotspot for expat retiree's, and that is where I would want to spend my time and money. Beatiful modern city with all the amenities you would need or want..

Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Why do you want to live in a foreign country for the rest of your life?

When I get old, I would either live in a place I have lived in before, or just my childhood hometown. Never want to live in an exotic place.
It's annoying to adjust yourself to a new environment, trying to make new friends etc.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,368 times
Maybe you can come to Harbin, China.This city is not so big as Beijing and Shanghai, but it is a good place to live. It has different view in seasons. In winter, it's a bit cold, however, the view is excellent, especially the Harbin Ice and Snow World.
http://www.icefestivalharbin.com/pub...0618095604.jpg

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-19-2014 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: Only photos you have taken yourself please

Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 AM

440 posts, read 662,218 times
Not sure if China allow foreigners to own properties or not. China still accept foreigners for citizenships, but the consideration is more strict than other countries, having Chinese citizen relatives or married to Chinese citizen, and good Chinese language level are more likely to be approved when applying for Chinese citizenship. And renoucing previous citizenships is required as China does not allow a Chinese citizen to hold foreign citizenships.

And in any country it can get boring quickly, Southeast Asia can be very boring too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Thailand would be my choice and I've been most of the countries mentioned with the exception of Laos and Indonesia. Second would Taiwan, third would be Japan. Malaysia is just to crummy, run down and third world. China does not allow foreigners to own property, and they do not accept foriengers for citzenship. The new 10 year visa rule helps, but it's still China. It gets really boring very quickly.

In Thailand, different cities seem to have different property ownership rules, and I know for a fact that in Pattaya, a retiree from Great Britian is allowed to purchase and own property, and may also apply for a permanent resident visa.

I even met a guy from San Diego who was apparently a permanent resident there, and he was driving his Porsche 356S with California plates still on it.

I'm not sure if Phuucket(City Data censors this city name for reason) has similar legislation, but Pataya is definitely a hotspot for expat retiree's, and that is where I would want to spend my time and money. Beatiful modern city with all the amenities you would need or want..

Old 11-19-2014, 06:01 AM

327 posts, read 568,865 times
Quote:

you have got to be kidding. More criminals hiding out in Pattaya than any other city in the world. Most in-your-face sex trade of any city in the world (if anyone disagrees, tell me of a more blatant open air brothel than Pattaya). I'm sure ughhnyc is well-intentioned, but Pattaya is good for two weeks tops -- if you're inclined toward that sort of thing.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 AM

769 posts, read 1,014,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
you have got to be kidding. More criminals hiding out in Pattaya than any other city in the world. Most in-your-face sex trade of any city in the world (if anyone disagrees, tell me of a more blatant open air brothel than Pattaya). I'm sure ughhnyc is well-intentioned, but Pattaya is good for two weeks tops -- if you're inclined toward that sort of thing.

i'm guessing that you haven't fully accessed the city, as opposed to hanging out on Walking Street for two weeks straight?

Pattaya has much more to offer than that small stretch of of beachfront.

and I'm guessing that you probaly haven't been to Bangkok, Hunt's Point, Shinjuku or Shanghai, as the open air skin trade in those areas far exceeds anything Pattaya.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:16 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post

And in any country it can get boring quickly, Southeast Asia can be very boring too.
speaking of being boring, no East/SE Asian countries are more boring than the US I would say, so I guess it will be an upgrade anyway.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:19 PM

327 posts, read 568,865 times
Quote:
i'm guessing that you haven't fully accessed the city, as opposed to hanging out on Walking Street for two weeks straight?

Pattaya has much more to offer than that small stretch of of beachfront.

and I'm guessing that you probaly haven't been to Bangkok, Hunt's Point, Shinjuku or Shanghai, as the open air skin trade in those areas far exceeds anything Pattaya.
well I don't know what Hunt's Point is, but the rest I have been to and Pattaya is unequivocally the sleaziest city in the world. Surprised anyone would seriously suggest that people should move there. What a wonderful beach it has, what wonderful activities like jet-ski rentals, and so free of hordes of drunken Russian tourists, the coconut bar, i.e. open air brothel aka beach road. I could go on about all the ex-pats who wind up topping themselves over there in large numbers, the mysterious leaps off the balconies. And more criminals on the lam than anywhere else in the world. Wonderful place.

Its not for respectable people - I know, I've been several times

Last edited by Chasva69; 11-19-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia