Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM

79 posts, read 228,521 times

Advertisements

So much misinformation here. Most overseas Chinese are quite different from the mainland Chinese. This includes Chinese in the US, Canada, Aus and SE Asia.

Most are from Guangdong and Fujian Province, and many Taiwanese are mixed with Austronesian, NOT NEGRITO!

Chinese indeed look slightly different all around the country, as it is a massive country. In the NE of China there are some very tall people. Remember Yao Ming? I saw 6' 4" women in Beijing!

However, you do have to also note that due to the threat of invasion from the Mongols, many northerners also migrated as far south as Guangdong, which has resulted in some tall people in Guangdong as well, although it is not what i would call typical.

Northern Chinese do indeed have different features, skin tone, temperments, etc compared to southern Chinese, especially comparing the far northern and far southern chinese. Finally you have many cities that are either in the middle or closer to the middle as well. Also, indeed there are "stereotypcial Han features", like people from Henan province in Central China.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,773,299 times
The nose is one features that clearly differentiates NE Asians and SE Asians. By this definition, many Southern Chinese are more 'SE Asian' in appearance. They have flat, broad noses. Northern Chinese generally have thinner, sharper noses.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Northern China is also the land between the Yellow, and Yangzte rivers. Now did the Mongols, Manchus, and Han leave africa and come here in the same group, and then split up later, or were they different groups leaving africa in the beginning?
This is such a great question! The migration that became the Sino-Tibetans (who split into the Tibeto-Burmans and the Han) was a different one than that produced the ancestors of the Turko-Mongol-Tungusic peoples in Manchuria (the so-called Altaic peoples). The peopling of Inner and East Asia was much more complex than we can imagine. Oh, and then there's the issue of the Tibetans not being a homogeneous group; they're divided between Sinitic types (mainly sedentary, historically), and the nomads, who are half Indo-European and 1/2 Turko-Mongol. Here are some links to migration maps and more info:

JOURNEY OF MANKIND - The Peopling of the World

http://genographic.nationalgeographi.../en/atlas.html

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-28-2012 at 11:13 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
yeah, the thing is when she wears Japanese fashion clothing and makeups, she looks like Japanese. She looks like Chinese when she with different hair style and do makeup close Chinese.
She doesn't look either Chinese or Japanese. Is that her natural hair color? Is that her natural eye shape? So big and round! Maybe she's had an eye job?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 AM

11,054 posts, read 16,753,813 times
I recently dated a gal who is ethnically Northern Chinese. She's 5'6, has dark brown hair and eyes, light-to-medium skin tone, a line of freckles across her face, and has a fairly strong build and wider hips although she's active and trim. Smaller eyes with natural double eyelids. She's obviously Asian - you wouldn't mistake her as mixed or anything - but looks obviously distinct from:

Currently dating a gal who's ethnically Southern Chinese. 5'4, jet-black hair, extremely dark brown eyes, darker skin tone (closer to Thai or Indonesian), slight build but miraculously busty. Flatter face, wider and flatter nose, big eyes without the double eyelid.

I always thought it was funny when people said things about the "lack of variation" in people from Asia. The difference between someone from Northern China to Southern China can be as extreme as the difference between someone from Sweden and someone from Italy.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:26 AM

I agree. I've met a few Chinese girls over 6 feet from China - one was from Beijing. I've also been to China: I'm 5'9" and I felt short in Beijing.

Some Mongolians and Koreans have dark brown rather than black hair, so I'm not too surprised that she had dark brown hair, although I haven't met too many Chinese with natural brown hair before. I also notice many of the northern Chinese have pretty wavy/curly hair.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 AM

A friend of mine in Russia who is Evenk (a Tungusic tribe from around Lake Baikal, but also found in N China) has reddish-brown hair. She said she always suspected the hair color was from admixture from the Indo-Euros around Dunhuang and/or the Altai.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,434,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I recently dated a gal who is ethnically Northern Chinese. She's 5'6, has dark brown hair and eyes, light-to-medium skin tone, a line of freckles across her face, and has a fairly strong build and wider hips although she's active and trim. Smaller eyes with natural double eyelids. She's obviously Asian - you wouldn't mistake her as mixed or anything - but looks obviously distinct from:

Currently dating a gal who's ethnically Southern Chinese. 5'4, jet-black hair, extremely dark brown eyes, darker skin tone (closer to Thai or Indonesian), slight build but miraculously busty. Flatter face, wider and flatter nose, big eyes without the double eyelid.

I always thought it was funny when people said things about the "lack of variation" in people from Asia. The difference between someone from Northern China to Southern China can be as extreme as the difference between someone from Sweden and someone from Italy.
I noticed mostly people who dont like asians in general say things like that, they will find something about them or their culture to make fun or look down on as inferior

mostly the ignorant types always say theyre all the same

Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A friend of mine in Russia who is Evenk (a Tungusic tribe from around Lake Baikal, but also found in N China) has reddish-brown hair. She said she always suspected the hair color was from admixture from the Indo-Euros around Dunhuang and/or the Altai.
Funny I was just looking at photos of my old Korean friend from school, and was amazed at how red his hair is! He's basically like a redhead!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:01 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,630,126 times
There are physical differences bewtween northern and southern Chinese.

Southern Chinese, particularly in Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan Provinces etc have a higher percentage of people with double eyelids, which is considered pretty in the east Asian culture. While in the north more have only one fold. On average about 50% of Chinese are born with double eyelids.

Southern Chinese are shorter, darker. Stats show that average height of a male from Beijing or northern provinces are 173-174cm, while the average in Guangdong, Yunan etc is 167-169cm, so the difference is significant, statistically speaking.

Southern Chinese also tend to have shorter and flatter nose, particularly in most southern Provinces. They also tend to have a lot less facial or body hair than their northern counterparts. You will be surprised to find many Southern Chinese males have next to no boby hair, with completely smooth legs and arms, much smoother than most white GIRLS (if they don't shave I mean) Chest hair is also non-existent among them, but a lot more observable among northern men (still much less than Caucasians of course).

As a matter of fact, Chinese from the most southern provinces including Hong Kong share more in common with Southeast Asians, such as Vietnamese and Thai, than northern Chinese.

Of course all the above are not absolute. People move around and intermarry in China, just like in any other countries. many who live in Guangdong actually originated from Liaoning 100 years ago, and in big cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, you see people from all around the country.

However, the general physical difference is undeniable.

On more comment, for those who think it is hard to tell one from another among East Asians, the Asians have the same trouble with white folks as well. Many older Asians have a hard time watching American TV shows or movies because in their eyes, everybody looks the same! :P It is only when you are exposed to them for an extended period of time can you tell that everyone does look indeed quite different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia