Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 01:16 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,434,051 times

Advertisements

the southern Chinese from rural areas that are in more remote parts of China would tend to have less chance on having northern blood lines, they rarely intermarry with different ethnicities

I would say they might have more relation to the original peoples of south China like the Yue tribes and Vietnamese, Thais, Malays

some look like ethnic Lao or Thai people

Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times
^ You seem to know a lot about the Chinese botticelli, curious to know if you've been? The average height in Beijing sounds about right, at least the younger generation. Older Chinese seem to be short anywhere in China, but the young generation are different. I often see groups of tall Chinese guys here - sometimes all of them 6 feet anad above - which you didn't see as much before because of migration from the PRC.

Genetically China is probably as diverse as Western Europe. A Chinese person from HK to someone from Heilongjiang is as different as a Spaniard is from an English person, I think.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,626,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ You seem to know a lot about the Chinese botticelli, curious to know if you've been? The average height in Beijing sounds about right, at least the younger generation. Older Chinese seem to be short anywhere in China, but the young generation are different. I often see groups of tall Chinese guys here - sometimes all of them 6 feet anad above - which you didn't see as much before because of migration from the PRC.

Genetically China is probably as diverse as Western Europe. A Chinese person from HK to someone from Heilongjiang is as different as a Spaniard is from an English person, I think.

yes, the young Chinese are getting taller and taller. It is more about nutrition than genes. For example, a few decades ago, the Japanese were significantly shorter than the Chinese, who used to call them "the little Japanese". Now, Japanese are taller than Chinese on average.

Young folks born in the late 1980s and 1990s are a lot taller than the older generation. Like you said, 20 years ago, a men of 6 feet would be considered quite tall. now, you seem them on the street all the time. It is not surprising as their parents who were born in the 1950-1960's had the worse time growing up, experiencing the worst famine in the Chinese modern history. How tall can you expect them to be when sufficient food was still a concern.

Yes, I am quite familiar with China, and to a less extent Japan.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM

^ Japanese aren't all that tall. N. Chinese and Koreans are taller. I don't see many Japanese guys taller than me, and I've never met a Japanese girl taller than me, in fact most still seem really short, like just over 5 feet. N. Chinese women are definitely a lot taller.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,848,044 times
It isn't that easy to tell them apart, demeanor or physically, especially if they have been living abroad for a while. Last weekend I was at a shop in an Asian Mall, the cashier punched in some items not in accordance to my instruction and did not respond verbally to my queries. Frustrated and not wanting him to mess with my Visa, I handed him a large note for him to ask me how I wanted my change - instead his response was ちょっと待って (please wait a while).

Old 08-31-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
It isn't that easy to tell them apart, demeanor or physically, especially if they have been living abroad for a while. Last weekend I was at a shop in an Asian Mall, the cashier punched in some items not in accordance to my instruction and did not respond verbally to my queries. Frustrated and not wanting him to mess with my Visa, I handed him a large note for him to ask me how I wanted my change - instead his response was ちょっと待って (please wait a while).
I on the contrary think it is very easy to tell them apart by demeanor. The Japanese in particular act very very differently, especially when they apologize like the situation you described. They tend to do a slight bow (like 10-15 degrees) all the time. The Chinese almost never bow.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I on the contrary think it is very easy to tell them apart by demeanor. The Japanese in particular act very very differently, especially when they apologize like the situation you described. They tend to do a slight bow (like 10-15 degrees) all the time. The Chinese almost never bow.
I can tell Chinese and Japanese apart at least 3 times out of 4. I come across many of them, Koreans and SE Asians too, so I'm attuned to telling them apart.

The Chinese do come across as a lot louder and less reserved. Every been to a restaurant full of Chinese people?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:

The Chinese do come across as a lot louder and less reserved. Every been to a restaurant full of Chinese people?
You are exactly right. I don't remember any occasion where a Japanese person is loud in public.

But I guess it is improving. The loudest Chinese are usually in their 40-60's who didn't have a lot of education. Younger generation are becoming quieter.

One theory is that those loud people used to work in noisy factory environment where they had to raise their voice a lot to be heard, so when it is not necessary any more, it is not that easy to turn down the volume a bit.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You are exactly right. I don't remember any occasion where a Japanese person is loud in public.

But I guess it is improving. The loudest Chinese are usually in their 40-60's who didn't have a lot of education. Younger generation are becoming quieter.

One theory is that those loud people used to work in noisy factory environment where they had to raise their voice a lot to be heard, so when it is not necessary any more, it is not that easy to turn down the volume a bit.
Actually I've met a few Japanese who were extremely extroverted and loud. One, an older Japanese man who was 70 actually, whom I met on a day tour in Vietnam, loudly led the bus in singing some songs and was the life of the party. He'd recently taken up scuba diving, at the age of 70, and was a master in the art of traditional flower arranging...his wife was also really cool, barely knew English but was very excitable as many Japanese seem to be.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM

79 posts, read 228,496 times
Quote:
I can tell Chinese and Japanese apart at least 3 times out of 4. I come across many of them, Koreans and SE Asians too, so I'm attuned to telling them apart.

Do not compare Overseas Asians with the other 99% of Asians living in Asia, particularly the Chinese and Japanese.

This is like using German Americans as representation of German characteristics. For example, for many years, actual specific villages in Guangdong or Fujian represented over 70% of immigration, and let's not forget how people change after generations abroad. How European is George W. Bush?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia