Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,813,394 times

Advertisements

Taiwan and the United Nations

I still don't get the debacle over Taiwan. The 'One China' Policy is silly. Taiwan is clearly a separate, sovereign state with no links to the People's Republic. I can't be sure but I don't think many Taiwanese even care about being the 'real China' anymore. Obviously, Taiwan is a sub-tropical island on the periphery of the Chinese heartland, so will always be different from China. They should change their name from the Republic of China too, too the Republic of Taiwan or something.

I wonder if the younger generation will wish to forge a distinctly Taiwanese identity? I see no reason why they shouldn't be admitted to the UN as Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 PM

208 posts, read 704,769 times
The WORLD is scared of China.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,799,663 times
The reason why Taiwan still maintains itself as the Republic of China and actually claims more territory than the PRC (including Mongolia) is deeply rooted and complex and would require a very large amount of space to really explain fully, even if I were an expert who could recall the nuances at will (which I can't). In essence, Taiwan is much better off keeping the status quo of officially claiming to be the one and only legitimate Chinese government. The hopelessly overly simplified reason why is that the PRC is much bigger and more powerful and wouldn't like what it considers to be a renegade province to declare that it doesn't consider itself to be a part of China anymore.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:20 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,838,784 times
Nobody wants to **** China off. At the same time the rest of Eastern Asia doesnt want Taiwan to go back to China, but China has made it clear independence is out of the question and wants some gradual integration.

If done right Taiwan could encourage China to become more democratic, liberal, and open. Than it could rejoin China, I imagine as an antonymous providence.

I dont think Taiwan has desire to just rejoin CHina without special rights. It would be one providence among many, so even in a Democracy it would have no real control. Also, Chinese workers could flood into Taiwan.

I imagine has China grows and becomes politically similar to Taiwan it will slowly start to infringe upon Taiwan's sovereignty and take gradual control.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,472,614 times
As has been said, nobody wants to annoy China.. especially not the US.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:38 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,831,169 times
It's worth noticing that right now there are 3 independent states not members of the UNO, for different reasons : besides Taiwan/ Republic of China, the Holy See/ Vatican (for obvious reasons : it's not an actual country with a territory and a population) and Kosovo because Serbia and at least 50 countries didn't recognize its independence.
A special note for the Palestinian territories (Gaza and West Bank -well, the unocupied part of West Bank, part of it being colonized by Israel-) that have a special seat as associate member at the UNO (doesn't take part in votes) and are in a limbo between autonomy and independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia