Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:32 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree, actually. Both Japanese and Italian sound kind of 'technical', while Mandarin and French actually sound quite poetic and lilting.

Vietnamese and Spanish sound, no offense, kinda 'trashy' and include a lot of shouting.

German maybe sounds very vaguely like Arab?
Noway in hell Vietnamese sound like Spanish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_(linguistics)
In East Asia, tone is typically lexical. This is characteristic of heavily tonal languages such as Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, and Hmong. That is, tone is used to distinguish words which would otherwise be homonyms, rather than in the grammar, but some Yue Chinese dialects have minimal grammatical use of tone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 01:14 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Bellov View Post
Portuguese sound similar as Turkish to me.

I'm Portuguese and Turkish sounds good to my ears and Japanese is not bad but a bit robotic(the best sounding east Asian language in my opinion), Sanskrit also sounds pleasant to me. Some of the languages from central Asia also sound interesting.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:23 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Japanese and Italian soundalike in some ways, as their words end in vowels.

If, by "Asian", you also include the Middle East (Semitic and Indo-Iranian languages) then I'dd that Dutch sounds like Assyrian Neo-Aramaic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSkVLhZSDU

Old 04-13-2020, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,156 times
French can be quite similar to Persian/Farsi in some ways, like if you say the word charades in a French accent, it comes out sounding sort of Iranian, like the capital city Tehran and the country name itself. I think it's the strong r that makes it that way. Sometimes both languages are a bit hard and steely sounding no offence, just a description.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree, actually. Both Japanese and Italian sound kind of 'technical', while Mandarin and French actually sound quite poetic and lilting.

Vietnamese and Spanish sound, no offense, kinda 'trashy' and include a lot of shouting.

German maybe sounds very vaguely like Arab?

I agree with the last statement German and Arabic are both a bit 'alcoholic' sounding (yes no offence as we all say), since Germans are famous for all their breweries, so you get impression with the language being strong, and for some reason, Arabic sometimes reminds me of people gargling beer. They are both a bit 'throaty' sounding anyway.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:16 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666669564108 View Post
French can be quite similar to Persian/Farsi in some ways, like if you say the word charades in a French accent, it comes out sounding sort of Iranian, like the capital city Tehran and the country name itself. I think it's the strong r that makes it that way. Sometimes both languages are a bit hard and steely sounding no offence, just a description.
Hebrew sounds more like French, even though Farsi is Indo European like French. But yeah, there is a resemblance between French and Farsi.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:57 PM

63 posts, read 55,184 times
The "colonial" languages (Tagalog/Filipino and Indonesian/Bahasa) are the most obvious answers to this question, as much of the language takes from Spanish and Dutch, respectively, and both use Latin script.

Japanese inexplicably has a similar "flow" and cadence to Spanish and Portuguese, despite the general lack of cognates or linguistic family relations.

Khmer (aside from a few borrowed French and English words) and Thai really don't have much that I'd say is at all comparable.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:56 PM

433 posts, read 532,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipino news anchors often try to sound Spanish. This man is a good example of that

TV Patrol Southern Mindanao - YouTube

This isn't Tagalog btw, it's a language spoken in the middle & South of the country
Per Wikipedia---
"The language was heavily influenced by the Spanish language during the period of colonialism from 1565 to 1898. With the arrival of Spanish colonists, for example, a Latin-based writing system was introduced alongside a number of Spanish loanwords.[19]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cebuano_language

Old 11-20-2023, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I despise the Spanish language. It's so harsh and obnoxious. I couldn't care less about the ethnicity of those who speak the language.

Get over it. It's an opinion.
I couldn't disagree more with you

Old 11-20-2023, 02:25 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
I didn’t get to read the thread before this post so I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned.

French and Taiwanese Hokkien/Minnan. French word drawer “tiroir” sounds identical to the drawer in Taiwanese. The word soap, savon in French, sounds exactly like soap in Taiwanese. Tea in French, thé, is the same pronunciation as tea in Taiwanese. The last one could possibly be that tea was imported to France from Fujiang Province, whose dialect passed onto Taiwanese through the immigrants and whose celebrated tea products were widely known globally.

Both also share the sound /u/ and /un/ that Chinese/Mandarin doesn’t have. Both have nasal vowels, more melodic, softer intonation and almost no rolling tongue words-both English and Mandarin require more tongue rolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia