Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:45 PM

133 posts, read 219,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
"Western" is a bit too broad, but the big Asian shows / movies / bands are definitely more popular globally than Hollywood fare. There are some exceptions (Korea doesn't produce the big superhero movies that do well in the box office, and has only recently begun doing kids' movies), and pop music does borrow pretty heavily from what was big in the US and Europe a decade ago. But it's hard to relate to Hollywood, and as people become more acquainted with the rest of the world it's less and less of a draw. And while there are some regional tensions in Asia---Korea vs. Japan, China vs. Taiwan, and some smaller, lingering fueds---the pop-culture powerhouses there don't have the baggae of militarism and neo-colonialism that the US brings with it.

I'd still love to see Asian TV shows and movies get more play in the US. They're big among Asian-Americans and former expats, but haven't made many inroads otherwise. They can be silly, but most of the time I'd rather watch a Chinese or Korean show than the "reality" shows that comprise literally every channel these days.

Good point about the guns. Enough with the guns. And the dead people. A typical night of American TV programming in Asia consists of Law and Order, a few varieties of CSI, and some other cop drama: murders, rapes, corpses, and gratuitous cleavage (I'm no prude, but it does become ridiculous after walking around all day in cities where women don't go out of their way to bare their chests . . . and then to watch every doctor and cop on TV with half their chest hanging out).
You do realize that with the internet we have the ability to fact check right? A quick trip to Box Office Mojo proves that you are so factually incorrect that it's bordering on outright lying. In fact you are so wrong that maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are trying to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,070 times
that's it. Asian pop is extremely popular. It attracts teenagers over Asia, makes them crazy about it...

Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times
Honestly, I don't like K-Pop influence to our OPM (Original Pilipino Music) pop culture.
why I said that because it looks like they copied they only change the name unlike the real OPM pop culture.

Copied K-pop & just changed to P-Pop

OPM original P-Pop music

I still like the Original OPM Pinoy Pop Music not K-Pop style.
But the pop culture in Philippines right now is mix.

Last edited by pinai; 07-11-2012 at 02:20 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,638 times
I have Korean cable and I watch it more than the US TV. I also got rid of my American cable stations. Just too expensive for the content and quality. Over the weekend I was watching the Korean extravaganza from Los Angles that is now touring the world. This was K-Pop I guess Music for mainly teen-agers and people in their early 20's. I was blown away by the number of American kids of all races and ethnic backgrounds at the concert. There were at least 3000 kids and they all seemed to know the acts on stage. Pretty amazing where the Koreans have taken the entertainment business. This tour, it is said, will draw even larger audiences on the Latin American leg of the tour. The physicality of the groups was also very impressive. All that choreography so well executed by so many really young artists. Pretty amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia