Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Not less than Singapore i hope.
I'm not all that familiar with KL's nightlife scene, I remember going out at night there once, but I would say Singapore is better in this department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
The Malays are generally a religiously moderate lot but almost all are deeply religious. Fundamentalism is on the rise but that does not translate to security threats etc. There have been calls for the implementation of Shariah (Islamic) laws nationwide by the Islamist party but the ruling party ain't that interested in that. The most conservative states in Malaysia are the east-coast states of Kelantan and Terengganu, where Muslim Malays make up over 95% of the population. That said, most of them are traditional and are welcoming to visitors as the two states offer rural Malay charms as opposed to the more developed and liberal cities on the west coast. However, an overwhelming majority of Muslims are abhorrent to the consumption of alcohol, gambling, and non-halal food stuff. Do not ever attempt to do either of these in front of them as it is regarded as a deep disrespect to their religious sensitivities.
So if I was to eat a piece of bacon in front of them, they would be offended?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I wonder if you went to a hawker centre with your Muslim friends, and decided to eat something that was non halal, would they be offended?

I've had beef bacon in Malaysia, it's more common than pork bacon.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 AM

21 posts, read 51,015 times
Been to both places. Would t move there if I were gay. Locals tend to not drink but it is accepted behavior for foreigners. Safe to visit and great places.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,173 times
Quote:
Yes, they will. Non-muslims would normally avoid eating these sorta stuff in front of their Muslim peers.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Yes, they will. Non-muslims would normally avoid eating these sorta stuff in front of their Muslim peers.
This non-muslim LOVES pork. I would eat it in front of anybody.

How utterly ridiculous. There is absolutely nothing based in science that says pork is unhealthy or unclean to eat. Some magical fairy creature in the clouds is telling these people they can't eat pork so they won't eat it. This borders on schizophrenia.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder if you went to a hawker centre with your Muslim friends, and decided to eat something that was non halal, would they be offended?

I've had beef bacon in Malaysia, it's more common than pork bacon.
I don't have any Muslim friends. Hawker centers seem really cool. I would try every food that I could.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,845 times
Default Please Learn Some Manner Before Coming to Malaysia

Quote:
How utterly ridiculous. There is absolutely nothing based in science that says pork is unhealthy or unclean to eat. Some magical fairy creature in the clouds is telling these people they can't eat pork so they won't eat it. This borders on schizophrenia.
You're very... rude and disrespectful of other people decision. So what if they choose to listen to what their religion teach them to do? It's their choice to act on it or not. They let you eat whatever YOU CHOOSE to eat including non-Halal food because it's your belief and yet you're returning that courtesy with mockery when it comes to whatever they choose to eat? Just how uncivilized are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Quote:
This non-muslim LOVES pork. I would eat it in front of anybody.
Personally, I would decline the invitation if I know the person/group I'm going with are going for non-Halal food and I know lots of Muslims in Malaysia are like that too. So unless we're talking about the non-religious Muslims (those who are Islam by name and religious identification only), I don't see how we would ever mix with people like you (I'm referring to the fact that we have different social circle or timetable).

Non-Halal food are rarely sold side-by-side in Malaysia anyway. If they do, lots of Muslims prefer to not visit that stall/shopping mall ever again unless they are desperate. So again, I don't see how people like you and me are going to mixed hawker center together.

But I suppose if it was an unexpected event, I don't think I would feel insulted as long

1) you're not offering the non-Halal food to me

2) you're not trying to mislead/trick them to eat it (might result in serious injury because I know I will kill anyone who try to do that to me even though I'm a woman.)

These two actions are the reasons why Muslims have such big reaction over Alvivi's Bak Kut Teh stunt.

3) you're not using the same utensil you eat that non-Halal food to take something from the shared plate (example: you're eating pig bone soup with a spoon, and then you want to use that very same spoon to take some chicken curry served on a shared bowl used by everyone or my bowl.

This is not likely to become an issue though unless we are best friends.

Last edited by silverline98; 09-03-2013 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Because it was kinda misleading which is not done on purpose but rather by mistake.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 AM

183 posts, read 295,352 times
Are these countries 'hardcore' stone adulterers and homosexuals Iran/Saudi Arabia kind of Islamic, or are they more liberal like Turkey and will do things like drink alcohol?

I hope my question isn't offensive but I'm curious about the nature of Islam in SE Asia vs the Middle East.
first and foremost I am not offended by your question why should I be after all using a substance because it makes you duller and easier to read
I am turkish and consume enough alcohol to get me well pass out on park bench during the summer now the value part of the equation pain good morals religion (yes you can put like me to any part of the pattern but I intend to be a bit esoteric and leave it to the readers imagination ) been to saudi arabia and substance abuse is a big no no at least as far as if I catch you then you are in a very deep ditch and the only merciful part is you will be buried by people who feel the need to defecate on you however this is not applicable to what moma does not know wont hurt her meaning closed doors who knows southeast asia well been to singapur and found it to be quite amenable however I had the chance to observe muslim population in a uniquely muslim custom hajj here is my value multiplier hygiene muslims who are from the southeast asia were more organised and orderly compared to most of the ahem other muslims with the exception of my country folk and I would say alcohol consumption is invariably linked to climate people that live in colder climates tend to drink more than those who are not living in such climates and yes arak though I have never tasted at least to the extent of my recollection must be a very potent drink at least a morrocan that I met told me so

Old 09-07-2013, 09:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
In my experience, they don't really "practice" Islam the way they do in the Middle East. East Asia Muslims are pretty secular, and you can't really see much difference in their day-to-day behavior, from Thailand, for example. You hear the muezzen calling from the mosque, but it is rare to see people openly praying. It is not like in the Middle East, where buses will stop out in the middle of the desert so the passengers can get their rugs out and pray on the side of the road. In East Asia, people in Muslim dress are quite rare compared to the Middle East.

They do observe Muslim holidays, but more in a festive sense rather than in a religious sense. Eid is similar to Americans at Christmas or Mexicans at Easter.

This is not to give a definitive overview of Islam in east Asia, but just to contrast my observations with the Middle East.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-07-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia